KRK Systems monitor dilemma

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by safran5020, Nov 12, 2017.

1. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

Hi guys,

I have stopped my choice on KRK Systems for my next studio monitors purchase.

Now I am stuck with the following dilemma :
    • ROKIT 6 - (199 $)
    • ROKIT 8 - (249 $)
    • VXT 6 - (599 $)

At first, I was going to buy the ROKIT 6 but when I saw the small price difference for the 8'' I was going for the ROKIT 8. But reading different opinions, It seems the ROKIT 6 has a better review in the sense that the 6" is more natural less artificially colored. So there was born the first dilemma...

Then I went shopping and saw the VXT 6 but with a price tag is more than doubled over my first choice. Reading the reviews it seems VXT Series is a much better choice but for the price difference is it really worth it... Here is my second dilemma.

I would like to have your opinion on the question from those of you who knows the product and had experienced it.

Thanks again for your precious lighting !

3. spyfx

spyfx Guest

hi safran5020,in my humble opinion in the $300-400 range for a pair look no further than the jbl lsr305's &308's:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR308

if you want to spend a bit more look at the focals alpha & shape range :

https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJCcmFuZCI6WyJGb2NhbCJdfX0

also treat your room if you can.

as for rockit's i personally would stay away from their entry range,hope this info helps you :wink:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. spyfx

spyfx Guest

also have a look/listen here :

5. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

there is an truly audible difference between the vxt:s and the rockit. take the rockit if you absolutely can't afford with vtx

you will not be disappointed with the rockits they are totally functional, specially if there is other things you must buy and you are afraid of not having the money again anytime soon

if you have a bit of regular cashflow and your only trying to save money then i recommend you to take the finer ones, its totally justifiable, if you have the cash.

6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I own the Rokit 8 set as well as the 10s sub. I usually mix on the 8's and just turn the sub on to check the low end. I have found them to sound good, but I have had translation issues on both the 4-8 KHz area, and the lows (below 200 Hz). As others have stated, treat your room. I believe my difficulties stem largely from that. Just like any monitor you choose, you have to learn how they respond in your room.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

im thinking about getting the Rokit 5's, do i need a sub for mixing?

8. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

@spyfx

Agree. I have the JBL LSR-305 and they are so good for it's price. Really. I have tested so many monitors including the Rokits, but they are the best monitors in it's price range in my opinion. If you want good monitors for the first best possible price I would say JBL for sure.

@safran5020

I recommend to check these monitors in a shop or something so you can hear them by yourself. It will be much easier for you to make a choice. For me I don't really like the Rokits actually, but it's all about preferences and that's for everyone different.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. spyfx

spyfx Guest

i agree,don't get me wrong here the krk vxt series are great monitors,the jbl's are fantastic,love eveything by focal,krk rockits are front ported might help the op a bit if he is going to buy & use them near/close to walls. :speaker:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. recycle

recycle Guest

Rokit sukks

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

Are you sure the price is correct for VXT 6 (599 $) in your country? Here they cost (372 $) for 599 $ you can buy VXT 8 (423 $) Go for VXT by the way!

12. spyfx

spyfx Guest

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V6Mon
    these are the new gen/vxt series....

13. I have the older V6 series II version. I had listened to a song on someone's Rokit 6 monitors and was awed...by how bad that they sounded compared to my set. The mids were all mushy, the low end was just a lump of sound and I wished to put my fingers in my ears to make the highs stop sticking red hot needles in my ears. So many talk of those JBL LS-305 being good for the money, and although I have not heard them, why don't you audition those if you can. You can always buy used like I did, mine were about 270 bucks about six years ago or so, a real killer deal. The best money is the cheap money for the best quality you can find, and used quality is quality just the same. Look around, have patience and grab a bargain. My crazy sweet sounding Vox AC4TV for 100 beans, a 180 buck cajon for 40, 200 buck stomp boxes for 50 quid, the list can go on. Spend pennies on the dollar and buy new stuff when you win the Lotto! Until then buy super gear cheap, let your ears smile and make some beautiful music.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. spyfx

spyfx Guest

this can be a great title for a song/track ,great post also :bow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. safran5020

Based on that video, I would go for the JBL no doubt.
    Thanks for sharing that, now I have a brand new dilemma :)

16. spyfx

spyfx Guest

thanks my friend !, at the end buy what your heart really likes !,may i ask are you in the US ?

17. safran5020

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  18. spyfx

spyfx Guest

for me go with the jbls then,also congrats for your purchase on the focusrite interface,if you're in the US also call your sales engineer at Sweetwater & ask their opinion too :wink:

19. safran5020

Yeah, actually 599 $ is in US dollars for the new V6 flavor (VXT's new flavor I think ??). VXT are actually discontinued.

@spyfx I live in Canada, so 599 $ USD is 760 $ CDN at today's rate.

20. spyfx

spyfx Guest

greetings to Canada ! :keys: :like:

21. safran5020

The JBL LSR308 are 199 $ on Sweetwater comaped to the LSR305 at 129 $.
    Is the 8" has the same "reputation" than her little sister ?

Seems like the best bet so far, LSR308 for the price of ROKIT 6.

Anyways, I will go and have a listen for myself before I buy, that's for sure. I'll go have a visit at my friends at Steve's Music in Montreal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List