KRK Rokit Break-In Question

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by torontoleech, Nov 14, 2015.

1. torontoleech

torontoleech Noisemaker

Hey guys,
    I bought a pair of KRK RP6G2's from a buddy and have been producing on them every day for several months. This morning the left one suddenly wont play sound. The light remains on, and i can hear a low white noiz hiss (as usual) , and the monitor is warm, though no sound plays, while the right speakers functions fully. I tried them on my laptop and had the same issue.
    I have tried switching out the RCA cables already , and think that my monitor is just "blown",(not that i play on such a high volume, bout 75% max) and that its time to get a new one (or 2)

>>>>Question<<<<<
    The guy in the Audio store told me that the break-in time will cause the speakers to be forever unbalanced, since one of my monitors is 2 years old, a new unit would always be unbalanced.
    But KRKs manual says 15-20 hours will break it in... Will they be forever unbalanced? or after those first 20 hours, will things become balanced again? :dunno:
    Is there an audible difference past 20 hours?
    Would really rather not spend another $500 on a brand new pair - so I would really appreciate any advice or input! !! :mates:

maybe i shud just get one speaker and break it in - if the difference isnt enormous, thats not too long to bear through it, i could do that in a few days...:unsure:

3. Chris Wellz

Chris Wellz Kapellmeister

I wouldn't get a new speaker. Always buy monitors in pairs. The same way you buy paint, they can't remake the exact color, there's gonna be a difference no matter if it's the same color paint to mix with the same amount. Comes out different every time. So you either buy enough paint for the job you need it for, or risk getting different shades for not thinking it out thoroughly. lol Having an older speaker and a newer one, would make them unbalanced like the guy at the audio store said. Your best bet in that situation (given I'm going through that now with my KRK Rokit 6's) is to repair that speaker to the best of its ability, then sale them. Get your money back plus more. Hold that cash to the side and just get entirely new pair of maybe even BETTER speakers than the brand/model you have now.

Good luck. Hope you make the right decision. I'm contemplating on mine myself and that seems to be my only option. Repair it myself, get it repaired by a professional, keep them or sale them and get something better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

I would just get the one speaker repaired.
    However, as far as the break-in thing, I don't know man. Seems like a way for them to just get your money on a pair!
    Now, I say this only if all the stuff is Exactly the same. Same exact model, with no internal differences (power amp tech, speaker components, etc) Otherwise, I call snake oil on the entire 'break in thing' What is it, a brand new car?....