Korg Triton Le blues: May I have it used as my midi keyboard device?

Discussion in 'Education' started by jeffglobal, Dec 15, 2016.

1. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

Hey guys, I just got a hand me down Korg Trition Le, which has velocity sensitive keys and I'm really happy, because it sure beats play doh, coloring books and my old casio toy midi capable keyboard, but I have this problem:

1) The freakin machine is complex, even though it's more than a decade old...it took me an hour of reading the manual and youtube useless tutorials to realize I was lucky to have a double male monaural y jack to a stereo plug, just so I could hear the freakin thing.

2) As a true believer of I don't know what I don't know, so I'm asking if it's just not like 4 sentences for an answer direction where to go to get the info I need, specifically:

How tf do I connect my midi cable (I now know for sure, the out goes to the in, and the in the out...ffs, I think that comes from reel to reel days...) that has a usb end just like I did for my casio toy keyboard that just plugged in and worked?

Idk if it's a driver issue or not. I thought a simple solution would have been:

I plug it in like the casio, I plug in the usb to my computer and run Kontakt. I play. HA! NFW man, that would be too easy. So I simply checked the settings in the file menu, and it detected the midi cable. ffs. Then I verified, within Kontakt, I had the midi setting to omni, just to make sure it would respond to anything. HA! nope. Then I used my mouse to verify I chose the right sound card and playback device cause I have a few. Yup, kontakt made a sound when I click pressed a key...

So for now, I've been just playing with the sounds in the keyboard itself which are really good in a lot of cases and it's live performance capabilities I've never had access to before. In some ways this keyboard is more sensitive and responsive than most of the women I've dated prior to giving them a gifts or money.

Any direction? Both for this issue and how tf to go about learning such a complex device? Nowadays is it even relevant to use the sequencer on the keyboard itself, or that was a function they put there before the days of DAWs?

Attached Files:

3. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Hey Jeff,

Its been over a decade since I sold my Korg Triton LE but honestly theres really nothing to it. Midi out from the Triton goes to midi in on your audio interface (provided it has midi in), and midi out from your audio interface goes to midi in on your Triton. You'll have to set your midi input device settings to recognize your audio interface in your daw and that should take care of the midi part. For audio, you just need to do the same (out from the Triton goes into the audio interface).

Since you didnt post what interface or daw youre using I cant say much more but hopefully that helps. Let us know if you have any luck :)

4. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Hello I have a Triton but I use it only when a serious keyboard player needs good half weighted keys
    Actually it s on a closet from years, when I use it it s already set up

I don t think it s going to work in midi to USB
    Maybe you d need a midi interface or you d need to use the midi in out of your audio card if it s got it
    I remember that the Triton must be set internally to be the master keyboard, I think you need to read the manual
    Also once you ve found the setting, you will hear double notes while playing, you have to deselect something called like local control, the feature that make the keys play internal Triton sounds, now it must play only from your sequencer

I m sorry not much help. I don t remember much.
    It s a complex device, but if you have the manual, no prob
    Most of the features are obsolete for DAWs owners (internal sequencer, FX...) and the patches are old and sound cold and digital, but the keys are good. Good workstation all in all, to be 15 years old.
    Ok, hope I ve given you some useful hint, bye

5. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Ah good, someone who s used a Triton more than me in the last years!
    Good memory, man.
    I was still here trying to remember...

7. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

Guys I still have a Korg Triton Studio but now I use it for MIDI to Logic via MTrack Quad interface. Anything more I can do with it?

8. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

I use it sometimes with Logic, if I have some good keyboard player in studio
    The sounds are decent enough for some live performance, and it has a sequencer if you need it, and 16 channels routed on 3 stereo outputs. It s expandable via scasi, I have the card, and an HD. So you can save load your sounds and patches.

9. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

Thank you all for replying.

The Wuzzle had it. YOU DIDN'T tell me whether the "convert position" was PostMIDI or not, but it was PreMIDI and I changed it, and viola, it worked as easy as my toy casio keyboard!

I played with the keyboard for 5 hours today, through headphones, before I read the comments above, and I learned how a lot of buttons worked, but I would not have thought of touching the menu button after the global button. I played the same song for like an hour just changing the inflection of phrases...now I can have absolute control of the sounds I use too...

TYVM, this is better than sex! ...and no HPV!

10. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

You might find this useful if you haven't seen it.

The advantage of having a workstation synth, is you don't need to turn on your computer. You might find it to be quite inspirational, not looking at an empty template. I know I do.

11. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Here's one possible method. Also, I recall that the original Triton (and Triton Studio) had Firewire or USB expansion cards? Pretty sure the LE doesn't (although the new "taktile" controller has the entire Triton soundset onboard).

12. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

Could anyone help with the Triton Studio environment to work with Logic Pro. This will help to get more out of this piece