Korg modwave Wavetable Synth ($1199)

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by The Pirate, Feb 24, 2021.

1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

In 1985, Korg's DW-8000 combined digital wavetables with rich analog filters to give users sounds which were impossible to create with analog oscillators. It's still a cult favorite today.
    modwave builds on the DW legacy and transforms it into a modern monster synth, featuring incredibly deep wavetable oscillators, gorgeous filters, wildly flexible modulation, unmatched polyphony, comprehensive pattern sequencing, and immediately satisfying hands-on control to deliver unique, powerful, and easily customizable sounds and phrases.
    cafdbf65b00547fed59ff03fa259e5a0.png
    modwave also introduces two unique new tools for creating dynamic motion: Kaoss Physics and Motion Sequencing 2.0. Kaoss Physics combines an x/y Kaoss pad with modulatable game physics to create a responsive, interactive controller that is—besides being powerful— a lot of fun to explore. Motion Sequencing 2.0 brings the organic, continuously evolving patterns of the wavestate's Wave Sequencing 2.0 into the world of motion sequencing, including multiple lanes and real-time recording to help you create complex and evolving phrases that other step sequencers cannot.
    Like Wave Sequencing 2.0 (wavestate) and altered FM (opsix), modwave’s evolved wavetable synthesis delivers its own brand of completely unique sounds and a knob-per-function layout that makes customizing those sounds fast and easy. To start, there are hundreds of preset sounds empowered by this new architecture, organized by front-panel category buttons, and all instantly customizable via the four Modulation Knobs. modwave's distinctive wavetable timbres start with aggressive basses & leads, and lush ambient pads which will add a new dimension to your tracks. But that is just the start. Those who want to dig deeper will find an endless source of discovery; you'll be finding new things in this synth for a long, long time because of the unique synth architecture. Once you have started finding new sounds - save as many as you like; there's room for thousands more.https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/modwave/index.php

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's really nice to see Korg making some useful and innovative synths. I particularly like this one because I used to have Wavestation and I used it a lot. I still do. This is like Wavestation++. I like it. Don't like the price, though, but hardware costs as hardware costs. I'd rather pay $1000 for a proper synth than $399 for a plastic toy [Electribe or something?].

Roland should follow suit... :wink: I would like to see more of digital/analogue hybrids coming out, with lots of performance/modulation options, so you can really perform with the synth, morph sounds live and similar. :yes:

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

To me, Wavestation++ means Wavestate, not Modwave. I own the Wavestate and it's quite a unique beast while the Modwave, sorry, looks a bit like "yet another wavetable synth". Certainly a fairly good one but having used quite a number of wavetable synths, I can definitely get so much more excitement out of the Wavestate.

5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I know it's petty & spiteful to moan about something in a synth this awesome (on paper and in samples, haven't touched one), but...

These (Modwave/Wavestate) are desperately in need of the XY-"Diamond" joystick as in the original Wavestation, and while touchpads are great they're not the same at all. The joystick on my EX still gets a lot of mileage, either with patches or just as a controller.

That said, I want both.

6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I wonder how easy it is to edit wave sequences? Easier than with the software ?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List