Korg Kronos - A short Piano improv

Discussion in 'Music' started by InTheMix, Sep 1, 2018.

1. InTheMix

InTheMix Kapellmeister

Just a short piano performance using J.Rudess Japanese Grand on Korg Kronos

3. InTheMix

InTheMix Kapellmeister

Another short video featuring German Grand (Korg Kronos factory Piano)

4. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

WOW! Don't show off man. The kids today are banging out simple brain dead sequences for the brain dead masses from Captain Chords, no skills requires. Seriously good musicianship! A rarity!
    (Ummm, but why post this on a warez site?!?!)

5. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Nice!!!

6. InTheMix

InTheMix Kapellmeister

"Brain dead sequences" is right! Though still we manage to live a musical life regardless.

Hmmm, I never realized this was specifically a warez site! I have seen discussions about stuff, but not any more than I have on KVR, Reddit, or most other music platforms. It definitely doesn't feel like one. Oh well, I guess most of my posts are about hardware, or cheap iOS apps anyway. I hope at least I've inspired someone in a way...

7. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

No worries, really. You did everything right, this is a musicians' forum so you're at the right place :chilling:
    Thanks for posting these! I was always curious about how the Kronos Grands compare :wink:

8. odod

odod Rock Star

i am so proud to see my student could plays the piano better than me :) ...

Ruuuuuunnn ... nice playing brother !

9. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

This place is a forum place first,you don't have to talk about warez necessarily.

@InTheMix I would love to have supple fingers like yours,instead God gave me big hands with long,a bit big and unbending fingers...:(...One time on two I press on 2 keys with one finger...Not easy to play piano with that.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  10. InTheMix

InTheMix Kapellmeister

All that butt spanking finally paid off! I did it!:wink:

11. InTheMix

InTheMix Kapellmeister

Looking at the glass half full, that'll make you a bad ass drummer to say the least. I tried drums -amongst other instruments- and I sucked big time. :)

12. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Is the Kronos really as awesome as I imagine it is? When the OASYS came out, I messed around with it at a music store and did not see what the $7,000 fuss was about (it actually didn't sound that great and the keybed action was just okay), but everything I've heard off the Kronos sounds pretty damn nice.

13. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

It's not $7000, it's in the mid $ 3000s. Keybed is subjective and will never please everyone, some people like the touch, some don't. Korg hammer action tend to be on the heavy side.

Sound wise, it's the best. Only thing that rivals it IMO in terms of "whole package" is Omnisphere 2/Keyscape.

It's 2018 now and age is catching up to it. I bought mine in 2011 when it first came out and i would personally still make an entire album with it even on this day. But that's just me. YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  14. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

The OASYS was seven grand when it first came out (actually, the pricetag on its Wikipedia page places it between $8,000-$8,500 -- the price I'm quoting was Sweetwater's), which I only remember because I thought was a mind-boggling pricetag at the time, even for a top-of-the-line Korg. My main bummer with that one were the hardware limitations, as it was basically a bunch of decent synth and PCM modules married to their old flunky 44.1 kHz/16-bit digital recorder. I'm not saying it sounded bad or anything, but for that kind of scratch, it should have been the Fairlight of its time. And traditionally, I love Korg's keyboard action (I cut my teeth on an M1, and my main controller is a ten-year-old synth-action K61 that still plays like a dream). It may be possible that the floor model I messed around with back in the day was a bit messed-up or something, but it played really stiff and cheap, like a budget MAudio weighted controller.

Look at it this way: if you never do anything else with your OASYS, no matter what people like me have to say about it, that thing is probably worth its weight in gold now.

As for you making a whole album with it (and despite my bitching about it), that sounds like an awesome idea. Hell, before I parted company with getting hardware synths/workstations and did everything inside the computer, I desperately wanted a Triton for more or less the same reason.

15. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

The Kronos 88 is listed at 3799 $ at Sweetwater. Hardware limitations is considered an alien word when we talk about the Kronos hence there's really nothing it can't do. 8 knobs, 8 sliders, 16 keyswitches, joystick, ribbon, all assignable to control any vst plugin you can imagine.

Obviously you're not familiar with the Kronos engine structure ( not faulting you for that), but if you read about it, you'll see that it has 9 different dedicated engines: https://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/kronos2/page_1.php

GBS of unlooped samples streaming from an SSD, along with modeling technology to boot.

And it's 48 KHZ/24 bit.

16. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Uh ... we're talking about two different keyboards. I've been talking about the OASYS, not the Kronos. As I just showed you in the Wikipedia link above, the OASYS retailed for $8,000-$8,500 back in the day and had an 8-track, 44.1kHz/16-bit digital recorder built into it -- Sweetwater sold it for $7,000. They discontinued it in 2009, so it wouldn't currently be listed in Sweetwater, at least not brand new. I was also discussing the internal workings of the OASYS. I wasn't talking about the Kronos at all. In fact, I only posted here because I've never played a Kronos (or even gotten to see one up close) and was curious about its sound and how it played. I have, however, played an OASYS, and the OASYS played and sounded like a huge $7,000-$8,500 waste of time. I compared it to the Kronos because that was pretty much the forebear of the Kronos, but other than hearing some sound demos, I have no idea what the Kronos is actually like. Are we straight now? I was ragging on the OASYS, not the Kronos.

17. InTheMix

InTheMix Kapellmeister

Yeah OASYS was ridiculously expensive, and I think Korg sold about 3000 of them. They learned their lesson for sure. Kronos is AMAZING. There's also a lot of support for it in terms of 3rd party libraries and all that. The keybed is still a bit 'light' for me, but this is as good as it gets for a synth. If they were to make it heavier, most people probably wouldn't buy it, so I understand. I just like to really dig into the keys.

Everybody kind of expects the next model sometimes in 2019...possibly during the NAMM show. I'll keep mine for now. It'll take a while before it actually becomes available. Then, it'll take some more time for Korg to iron out the bugs and butterflies...etc.

If anything, I might just get the 61 key and keep the one I have.

18. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Having never even played it, I would probably pick an 88-key Kronos as a single purchase for a stage rig. Your demo kind of underscores it for me, too -- that piano sounds preeeeeetty awesome.

19. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

My bad. Thought you’re talking about the Kronos.

20. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

I can tell you that up until this day, even with all the walloopa of plugin sample libraries nowadays, I still get asked “what plugin did you use” when I make music with the Kronos. This synth will go down in history as one of the most powerful ever, which has been an aliba for Korg to keep milking it for 8 years straight now.

21. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

And I thought you were defending the OASYS ...!!! It took me a few posts to figure out we were on Opposite Street on this one!

I kind of like the ability to infinitely expand my sounds via a computer, but there are definitely times where I'd rather just mess around on a keyboard and not have to fire up a computer to do it. Plus, having a decent keyboard for a stage rig is a lot better than lugging a computer and a controller onstage. The Kronos is definitely one I've been lusting over for a while!