Korg Collection 4 adds 3 new “modern classic” emulations including microKorg Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Software News' started by BEAT16, Nov 24, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

125d774005244860d46257f6edb0dc8d_pc.png

Korg Collection 4 adds three new “modern classic” emulations including microKorg Synthesizer

Korg Collection 4 is the fourth version of its virtual instruments and fx plugin bundle featuring three new emulations (microKorg, Electribe R, and Kaoss Pad).

There was a time when Korg released very few plugins. Even did little product maintenance. But then came the Collection, a reboot of their well-known Korg Legacy Collection. Since then, the Japanese have regularly released new versions with one and other surprises.

With Collection 4, the latest version is already available and Korg has emulated three new classics. But this time products from the modern Korg era.

Korg Collection 4
    This news is a surprise. I didn’t have a press release, I found the news by simply surfing the web. So Korg has now released Collection 4, the counterpart to the Arturia V Collection with the big difference that Korg gives you only emulations of their own product history.

Korg Collection 4 comes with in total of 14 plugins, including three new ones. All three are emulations from the modern Korg portfolio. So no vintage sounds. And a pity, the bundle is not extended with the Modwave or Opix native plugins. Too bad. The new additions are releases that one did not expect.
    2022-11-24_093722.jpg

microKorg
    microKorg is an authentic emulation of the almost legendary microKorg digital Synthesizer. Crazy, Korg has been selling this synth since 2002 with no technical changes. Now after 20 years on the market comes the emulation for your DAW.

The software microKorg comes with the identical engine as the original hardware. Featuring two multi-wave oscillators, a multimode filter, two envelopes, two LFOs, and more. Also, onboard is the best-known vocoder functionality.

It would be exciting if you could also use the microKorg plugin as an editor for the hardware. So you can load patches from the hardware into the plugin and vice versa. If this is not the case Korg, please consider this to add. This would be a big plus point.
    2022-11-24_093846.jpg

Electribe R
    The second new plugin is an authentic software reproduction of the Electribe R drum Synthesizer/drum machine. According to Korg, they have expanded the engine with more features. It has a total of nine parts: four synth parts, PCM hi-hat (open and closed), cymbals, claps/snare, and accents.

The synth part has four selectable waveforms (sine, triangle, square, and sawtooth), which can be processed by six different modulation types. Then, the PCM part also offers six different modulation types for further processing. Each part has an AMP section for volume, note length, panning, and level-only low boost adjustment for the accent.

The sequencer, which is loved by many, is also included. This is also an authentic reproduction but also with an expanded feature set. The sequencer gives you freedom to set the pattern steps and resolution using nine different types. In addition to the standard 4-beat patterns of 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32, there are also 3-beat/shuffle patterns of 1/12 and 1/24. Plus, there 1/10, 1/20, 1/14, and 1/28 suitable for 5- and 7-beat patterns, allowing for a wider range of beat-making applications.

Besides mutes, solos, accents, and effect send, you can also record motion sequences with which you can create very versatile sequences. It ships with all 352 patterns from the original “ELECTRIBE-R” and “ELECTRIBE-R mkII” as well as those for the ELECTRIBE versions of the iPad and iPhone.

2022-11-24_093940.jpg

Kaoss Pad

The Kaoss Pad is just as popular with music producers as the microKorg. This is an effect processor that can be operated very expressively with XY pads. This is now also included in digital form in the new Korg
    Collection 4. It features 25 unique algorithms ranging from reverbs, delays, modulation effects, chorus, flanger, filter effects, grain shifter, pitch shifters, loopers, and many more. You can tweak each parameter with a wide variety of parameters. As in the hardware, the effects can be used very expressively with the XY and also triggered selectively.

The emulation also comes with the creative vocal processor allowing you to add vocals while playing back samples. The plugin fully supports the MIDI protocol, so it also receives MIDI CC data. So you can easily control the effects with any midi controller. Especially good if you have one with an XY pad.

More information here: www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_collection/

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I used to love my Korg Electribes when i got a couple on initial release back in the late 90s! The Kaoss Pad VST could be interesting too!

4. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Not if you've browsed through the Motorola DSP thread :yes:

5. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

Interesting.
    I have a KaossPad I don't use since I prefer to stay ITB, but if I can use it with the VST version I might have to bust it out.

6. M McB

M McB Producer

Just getting from sister now. Can't wait to get playing

7. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

LOL the Electribe plugin costs as much as I sold my ER-1 for a couple years ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

I wonder if the MS2000 is coming soon then and the other Electribes?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Mythos91

Mythos91 Ultrasonic

Still holding out for the Trinity (With Synth card expansions) and W/01 (Also all card expansions). Surprised they didn't do the Korg MS2000 instead of the Microkorg also where's the Z1? The other Electribes would be cool too. Sorry I am not trying to be negative this is still pretty cool of Korg.

10. Adam Ford

Adam Ford Producer

It seems that the DSP56300 team is causing some havoc at the highest floors to put them in a hurry with such plugins.
    Now it's better to buy the VST version against the hardware Microkorg lol.

Hopefully they'll bring these bad boys for Collection 5:
    01/W, Trinity, Z1, Radias.

11. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Aaaaand they got cracked. Thank god I sold my Microkorg already, though it was awesome for jams

12. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

Thanks r2r!!!! the two broken/stuck keys on my microkorg no longer need to be avoided!! What a great addition!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. madbuzzin

it was, I have two.... I'm about to sell them because of this hahah

14. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

Hell yeah, this is great news! Guys over at Korg just keep coming at us with the good updates time and time again. I really wasn't expecting these 3 to ever be added as a VST but man am I glad they even considered it let alone create them! :yes:

15. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I wonder if I should dig out my old wacom tablet for the kaoss pad :D

16. madbuzzin

the microkorg synth is fantastic, so awesome to play with normal size keys and not have to turn a knob to set my cryptic parameters!!! Probably my favorite synth release in the past few months.