Kontakt XML Bug - Encrypted Libs Disappear

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Frubbs, May 25, 2017.

1. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

Later versions of Kontakt have a bug that causes them to format the XMLs poorly when importing encrypted libs. Native Access is supposed to address this problem, but it persists with K'd Kontakt, at least with many older libs. Some devs (eg Cinesamples) have posted a folder of updated XML for their products, but not all. Does anyone know:

a) Where can I find a rich trove of updated XML files for older libs

b) How existing XMLs might be easily modified to bypass the problem, or

c) How else one might rectify this annoying problem?

As always, I'm grateful for any help from the generous forum folk

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

4. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I was having the same problem but what was going on was it was creating a tmp file on my desktop. All I did was just rename the .tmp file as an associated .xml file and drop
    It into the service center and all is good now.

5. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

Ya, I read your posting about that, but it hasn't happened to me so far. Mostly Kontakt creates an xml and the lib appears normally in the libs tab and performs normally, but when Kontakt is rebooted it disappears. In some cases the xml file disappears too, in others it stays but the lib gone and its instruments are now "not registered". It's not all old libs either - for the (fairly new) v3 SampleModeling libs, for example, Trumpet stays around and Trombone and Horn/Tuba disappear.

I'm about to update from OSX v10.9.5 - I'm praying that Sierra will perform better. But ultimately for this problem I think we need a crack or workaround for Native Access.

6. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

That is weird. Maybe they are being hidden. Try holding option key on the go and see if you can locate them.

7. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

It's a documented bug with Kontakt that is addressed by Native Access. But many users - including lots of legit registered users - don't want to update, for reasons of backwards compatibility with older libs, etc. That's why some devs are providing proper XMLs themselves. I wish they all would.

I did find an interesting post on the NI forum about this, suggesting a slight edit to the XML text.

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/konakt-5-libraries-keep-disappearing.216539/

I've tried this a few times - on libs with embedded metadata they did actually show up, but asking me to locate the missing (non-existant) nicnt file, and for libs that did have a nicnt they would still ask for it - they would lose track of it every time. Obviously it's not a total solution, but it does suggest that a more informed edit of the XML file may be the way around this. I'm hoping someone with better coding chops than me will play around and publish a workaround.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017