KONTAKT: View Sample name when triggered

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by returnal, Mar 8, 2017.

1. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Hey, I'm just wondering if there's a simple way in Kontakt to always have the name of the specific sample pop-up, (eg. RZ1_909_B.wav) somewhere in the interface window every time a sample is triggered?

(I've had Kontakt for a long time, but almost never used it as long ago I created a bunch of EXS–24 instruments for the sounds I use most. But now that I have switched to Reaper I am converting all those EXS files into Kontakt instruments and getting to know Kontakt a bit better.)

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Yeah you can do it but far as i'm aware there is no available predesignated specific function that you can implement as an option directly in Kontakt itself. You will need to write a script :yes:
    For say midi & other information you can either insert a MultiScript that will monitor & message various timestamped midi events. You can also instruct kontakt to display such information in various manners during the initialisation of the on note callback.
    Other areas in which experiment are during initialisation or completion of on release or on controller callbacks and with other midi engine commands such as on midi_in, on listener, on rpn/nrpn or async_complete etc.
    Relayed information can include events such as Event ID, note on, note off, velocity, channel Pressure, Midi CC, Pitchbend, Midi RPN & NRPN.
    Just insert the script on empty script slot or MultiScript level.
    However that is MIDI information. Outside that if you're looking to relate specific sample information then you can still do it but you will need to write a simple script that tells kontakt what to out for & also when it should do so :)
    You will have to write a custom script for every instrument where samples per group or number of groups vary.
    A Basic method would be to name your instrument groupings exactly as named with reference to samples themselves & then get Kontakt to message you the groupings or Event ID during initialisation of the on note/on controller callback etc.
    Therefore "messaged group" -> Sample name displayed in whichever fashion you choose, label, message or defined GUI change or event.
    Primarily this technically a workaround as in effect you are still labelling midi control messages or CC function etc as opposed to say reading META tagged WAV directly or something similar.
    Best way would be to name samples in the script & store variables in array and callback those details during the initialisation of a pre-defined function or in on note callback itself.
    However for a large instrument with say 50,000 samples such an approach might not considered paramount when considering maybe effects on CPU and other factors.
    For relatively simple instruments it's fairly straight forward though & if you give information wrt your groupings etc i'll provide a simple script that you can vary :yes:
    Certain more simple workarounds will also only work in certain scenarios such as one sample per named group etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2017
  5. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Thanks for the answers guys. I think given my familiarity with Kontakt, (meaning nearly none), and the amount of time I'm willing to invest in this (also nearly none), I'm taking this as a "no". :drummer:

6. Kloud

Kloud Guest

lol yeah the (willing to invest nearly no time thing always a downer :rofl:).
    I also do that with a lot of stuff :yes:

As I said you can do it but you will need a custom script for each instrument i.e using your example of "RZ1_909_B.wav"
    Then stick file on say C0 -> Event ID 24 or whatever, then a real basic example would be along lines of -

on init
    message ("")
    declare ui_label $Label(1,1)
    end on
    on note
    if ($EVENT_NOTE=24)
    set_text($Label,"RZ1_909_B.wav")
    message ("RZ1_909_B.wav")
    end if
    end on
    on release
    set_text($Label,"Note Released")
    message ("Note Released")
    end on

Then whenever you hit C0 or whichever you have designated then "RZ1_909_B.wav" will pop up on label in GUI & message.

You can get much more complicated obviously & display waveforms & all sorts etc but for each instrument you need to write a custom script that reflects instrument & groupings etc really :yes::bow:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2017