Kontakt started to be super slow and not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by liu85, Jul 9, 2017.

1. liu85

liu85 Newbie

Hi,
    I use Fl Studio and Reaper. I used without any problem kontakt for 1 year and now (in these few days) it started to load and load and load... so it doesn't work. I have tried to delete everything (also using regedit) and to install it again, but nothing. If I wait a lot, sometimes it works, but if I click another time on kontakt it stops to work (the same if I have more than one kontakt instrument opened). . I have 200 GB of free space on my Hard Disk and my computer works perfect (I have win 8.1).
    Now I am thinking about to format everything but is not funny.
    If I try to use it without a Daw is the same...
    So, in your opinion what I could do before to format my hard disk? (I have tried the "degrag" but nothing is changed)

[​IMG]

3. imnotgivingmynametoarobot

imnotgivingmynametoarobot Member

I've experienced this once when using my mobile phone as internet connection. Don't ask me why. No permissions for any outgoing or incoming connections for Kontakt or service center allowed - still, it messed up when using internet through my mobile phone (usb).

4. fritzm

fritzm Producer

HDD is possibly starting to fail. I had to replace 2 this year. They were around 4 to 5 years old.

5. Caldera

Caldera Producer

DON'T FORMAT but run chkdsk /f as administrator from the command prompt !! This utility checks your harddrive and tries to fix possible errors.

6. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

You need a new computer.

7. hitdabrake

hitdabrake Newbie

I had problem with kontakt being slow, especially when opening up. Turns out my antivirus was checking it every time I use it.

8. TonyG

TonyG Guest

What version of Kontakt AND Service Center do you have installed? Also what message do you get from the "Kontakt 5 Has stopped working" problem details?

9. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

What are your computer specifications?

10. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

It's possibly a problem with one or more kontakt libs (or of course a defective HDD).
    Have you ever used a lib on a network share or deleted parts of a lib accidentally?
    I would start removing the libs used by Kontakt in the registry (in HKLM and HKCU) and "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Service Center\"
    and try to start Kontakt again. If this doesn't help try to move all libs to another HDD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. liu85

liu85 Newbie

No I haven't done nothing ( I believe). If I go in Service center folder I find a file called Kontakt 5 App.xml What I should do?

12. liu85

liu85 Newbie

This evening I have installed windows 10, but nothing is changed. Intel i7 4510U 2 GHz 2.60 GHz 64bit 12 gb Ram, 1 Tb Hard disk and I use another esternal one.

13. liu85

liu85 Newbie

No message, my dew stops to work when It happens. I used 5.5.1, thant I have tried 5.5.2 but is the same.

14. TonyG

TonyG Guest

You are running an older version of Kontakt, therefore, I think it is worth it to uninstall Kontakt and proceed with a new install at least 5.6. It is going to be the easiest and better option my friend. When you uninstall Kontakt make sure you delete everything related to it. If you dont know what to look for during uninstall let me know.

15. Blazin

Blazin Producer

I have noticed with over 700 gig of libraries mine is fairly slow in load times. I use 5.6.8 now and still have this issue. I hate kontakt

16. TonyG

TonyG Guest

My current Kontakt library is 1.5 TB and I don't have ANY issues. I m using version 5.6.6 on Windows 7 64bit. As stand alone it takes 2.30 average and as a VST in FL Studio 12 it loads even faster at 2.15 seconds average. BTW I use an external drive for the libraries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Follow the advice given by twoheart, if the problem continues at least you know that libraries are not to blame. Interestingly you mentioned that you had Kontakt working properly for a year and the problems started recently. What changes did you made to the computer? Have you run chkdsk /f as suggested by Rotong? Have you scan your computer for malware? Have you attempted to roll back your computer to an earlier date in which Kontakt was working? Finally, save this piece of advice for when you fix Kontakt: Always clone your OS drive. In less than 10 minutes you are able to solve ANY issues whether a bad drive, virus, user mistakes,software conflicts...and theft.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017
  18. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

Alright. You can try to use the Windows Task Manager to see how your processor, your memory and your hard drive are responding to Kontakt when running it. Is it really high? I'm especially wondering how your processor handle it. You can launch Task Manager with Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

I also agree with tony. Updating to a newer version could make a big difference.

19. Caldera

Caldera Producer

Check in the preferences if mulitprocessor support = OFF. This may only be enabled if you use K. as a standalone version.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

That's so true. Can't agree more :wink:

BTW broken disk drive: I've got some bad disks the last years and in almost every case it was hearable from outside. So as a first, primitve way to detect a bad disk try to hear what your drive is doing.
    Normally, if the r/w heads are moved you'll hear a little sizzleling. If there is a repeated tone like a clicking or so (drive is internally resetting and that takes a lot of time), then there is most likely a major damage on the disk surface or r/w hedas. In this case one should rescue all data by cloning the drive to a new one immediately.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. liu85

liu85 Newbie

Rotong what do u mean? "preferences" of win 10 or kontakt' I really dont know where to find it "Check in the preferences if mulitprocessor support = OFF. This may only be enabled if you use K. as a standalone version."

Nick Using Windows Task Manager the memory is not stressed using kontakt

I have scanned the memory and the hard disk with the win10 tool and both are ok. I have unistalled again fl studio and kontakt following every step I found searching on the web. Nothing the situation is the same (I also tried it with reaper and reaper stop to work as Flstudio) . It's really strange because everything works on my computer, also my brand new win10. In the future I will clone my OS more frequently. I will try to install kontakt on another computer and I believe I will delete everything in this month.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017