Kontakt slow loading times even after "batch resave"

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by shake_puig, Jul 12, 2021.

1. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

I've noticed a couple of things about this.

Kontakt will always be slower the first time you load a library after a restart of the pc, it will take like 30 seconds to load the samples.
    After that, without restarting the pc, if you close Kontakt and your DAW and re-open everything again, it will take like 5 seconds to load the same library. That means something is stored that makes it load faster and gets deleted after restarting the computer?

After restarting the pc it goes back to 30 seconds to load the library.

Is this normal behavior or am I missing something? Just curious.

My libraries are stored in a HDD.

I'm using:

Windows 10
    Kontakt 6.5.2
    Ableton 11

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Contact loads the sounds into memory. After the program has ended, the working memory is discharged again.
    If you are in contact call the "Task Manager" and after exiting the program you look again.

If you ever buy an SSD it is much faster, an HDD needs a few seconds to be addressed.

Three Key Ways to Optimize Kontakt Player & Instrument Libraries
    https://ask.audio/articles/three-key-ways-to-optimize-kontakt-player-instrument-libraries

Quick Tip: How to Optimize the Performance of KONTAKT 5

4. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

Ok, thanks BEAT16. I didn't know that libraries were loaded into memory, now it makes more sense. I'll buy an SSD in the future for sure, maybe a NVME.

5. rollerball

rollerball Platinum Record

Batch resaving only speeds up the initial loading time of the library, before the GUI appears and the samples are loaded onto memory. After that, the loading time is similar in case of both batch resaved and non-batch resaved libraries. Also yes, reloading the library after it's already been loaded is generally faster, but I don't exactly know why.

Kontakt loads a portion of each sample required into the memory. When a sample is triggered, Kontakt plays the initial length of the sample from the memory, and the rest of the length of the sample is streamed from the HDD or SSD. A slow storage media will increase loading times, and may also cause dropouts during playback. So you should probably invest in an SSD.