Kontakt Portable wont read folder properly

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by easyrider, Jan 24, 2022.

1. easyrider

easyrider Newbie

I have Kontakt 6.6.1 Portable and ive come across something weird.

I have a folder called Kontakt Standalone Libraries on my desktop. Inside that I have a folder called Orchestral Tools. Inside that I have folder called Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 3.

When I load Kontakt and list the instruments not all are listed in Kontakt.

If I move the Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 3 folder to the desktop direct, load Kontakt and relocate the library all the contents are listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

3. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

The complete path inc, filnames could be to long. There is a limit. If you move the whole folder called Kontakt Standalone Libraries of your desktop to the root c drive, does the problem go away. If yes, then just place a shortcut to it on the desktop.

4. Talula

Talula Rock Star

why move the folder with the library to the desktop??? the desktop is designed to place shortcuts there, the larger the size of the desktop folder, the slower the computer runs.

Do you understand the meaning of portable programs? in that they can always and everywhere be taken anywhere on a flash card, for example, and run on any computer without installation and configuration, you can also save any new settings that will work on any other computer.

for this, in the program folder there is a folder for libraries that you can always carry with you and have access to them.

5. easyrider

easyrider Newbie

I renamed the Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 3 folder to Metropolis Ark 3 and did a relocate and it listed all the files!

Thanks

6. easyrider

easyrider Newbie

I have the Portable Kontakt installed on my 4TB SSD D: Drive

I dont have enough space to have all my libraries in Kontakt Portable Libraries folder on D: so I had to split them out to another folder on the C drive.

I just used the desktop while testing.

I'll move the desktop Kontakt Standalone Libraries folder to the C drive Root and do a relocate.

7. Talula

Talula Rock Star

did you read the instructions for kontakt portable?
    it's a system drive. kontakt portable woking only with files/folders writable for all users.
    move to any other disk volume.

8. easyrider

easyrider Newbie

I wont be moving the kontakt portable anywhere.

Everything seems to be working now. Ideally I would like all the libraries located in the Kontakt portable libraries folder but I dont have the free space.

9. Talula

Talula Rock Star

do you always use all the libraries from the folder in each project? of course not. unused in the near future, just pack into an archive and store on another external drive. if necessary, unzip the archive into the libraries folder.

I have over 130 legal libraries just for kontakt player. no more than 10 are installed at the same time. I just delete what I don't need and install what I need through native access. everything is simple.

10. easyrider

easyrider Newbie

I want all my libraries accessible whenever the urge takes me.

11. Talula

Talula Rock Star

you are offered a solution, but you do not agree to a compromise. then just buy a larger external hard drive to store all the libraries there!
    what is the problem? =)

P. S. unpacking the library from the archive takes about 10 minutes, maximum - 15. you take a longer shower.

we have the expression "don't put all your eggs in one basket". one fine day, your external hard drive will no longer be detected when connected. In other words, it will fall into disrepair. and you will lose all your libraries at once. Will you re-download them for a few months? or you can just store archives for backup on another external hard drive and restore them in 1 day.

That's all, I have nothing more to say. decide for yourself how to do it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  12. easyrider

easyrider Newbie

No problem. I just thought I would use the available space I already have

I have all my libraries backed up to my server on a 16TB storage Pool.

13. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

Guys (and girls) the solution was in the first reply and the OP executed it in post no4...And it worked, so WTF?