Kontakt portable to regular kontakt on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Chillharley, May 22, 2021.

1. Chillharley

Chillharley Newbie

My windows laptop just broke and I'm thinking of getting a Mac M1 Mini. On my windows laptop I used kontakt portable on my projects. I noticed that kontakt portable doesn't exist on macs yet.

If I download the regular kontakt and use it on my new mac mini, will my virtual instrument previously used on kontakt portable open or will I have potential problems?

I'm a little worried because with the budget I have, I will only be able to buy a mac mini and I won't have any access to a Windows laptop to edit or modify my projects.

3. BigM

BigM Guest

Kontakt portable is not a legit version it's just a regular kontakt with reduced size without uninstallers etc.No matter what kontakt you use libraries will work fine.I'm using kontakt on m1 without any issue.

But you won't be able to open old projects where you used kontakt portable.(if plugin name is different)
    But it should work beacuse portable is just a mod created by pirates not by developers.

You can check this by installing normal kontakt on your pc and try to open those projects.If they work you are ready for the transition:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2021
  4. Chillharley

Chillharley Newbie

I actually have all 3 versions on my PC (portable, cracked kontakt, and legit kontakt). I use portable right now because studio one only recognizes one version on kontakt.

I noticed that on windows, If I have a project done with portable and I open it with the legit version of kontakt, it still works provided that the sample libraries that I used in kontakt are legit as well.

The only time it didn't work was when I had a project done on portable 5 and I opened it on portable 6.

Anyway, I managed to fix my laptop so I'll be able to see if it works on a Mac before making the full transition.