Kontakt patch tune: any way to pitch MIDI instead of audio?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by DonCaballero, Jun 26, 2023.

1. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

When creating multis in Kontakt I often want to pitch an individual patch up/down and octave.
    I realize there's a tune knob, but this pitch shifts the audio, when I usually just want it to pitch the incoming MIDI (which sounds much more natural.)

99% of the times I tune patches it's in semi-tones, so not having the ability to pitch incoming MIDI seems like a major oversight, though I think it's more likely there's another way I'm not aware of.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't mind changing changing an internal instrument parameter, but the simpler the better as I don't know KSP.

Thanks in advance! :wink:

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

there are a few ways you can Transpose the "played" Notes so they just end up hitting different Keys in Kontakt; but depending on how you are building your multi. I think using Kontakt Mapping Editor, Tune parameter for each Zone is what you want to change; because this can be changed +/-36. Or it can get complicated pretty quickly. :)

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Instrument Options => MIDI Transpose

5. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

you can also goes to script editor, preset, factory, tuning, (choose) quarter note... adjust the root.
    it don't need to know the ksp.
    you will have more tuning options this way. micro tuning or sequencer step tuning.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  6. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

Thanks for the tips guys! I knew there had to be a way.
    Instrument Options->MIDI transpose seems to be what I'm looking for.
    I wish more developers included this in their interfaces, or NI added the option to show this with the tune/gain/pan settings (maybe a setting for tune to transpose MIDI instead of audio.)

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

My post was in reference to sending Midi data at a Kontakt instance, but with the keyboard split into multiple Zones; or even two Instruments with the same Midi Channel but where the samples don't match in Octave the way you want. So the transposing would need to be done per zone, per layer, etc.

If you only have one Midi destination in any plugin, the best way to do them is in your DAW software; like you would with Audio Clip Gain. Usually in the Track Inspector. Or maybe you can find one like Logic's Transposer Midi FX plugin. it is extremely helpful. It goes +/- 24 semitones, but it is controlled with a horizontal slider. You insert it into the Midi Channel as MFX before the plugin, so the incoming data is transposed. It even works in realtime, which is great when you are working with Drums Midi. It keeps the same rhythm, but it moves the "drummer position" left or right, around the kit pieces. You can use it to generate percussion loops very quickly. You can Midi Learn the slider to a controller, or automate it. You can also put it in front of something like UVI Falcon Scratch Machine.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  8. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

Thanks for the reply.
    I often just transpose MIDI or use FX (and agree it's great for drums), but this is in the context of layering/sound design when I want to send the same MIDI on the same channel.