Kontakt not recognizing ExFat drive under "Files" tab

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by minehead, Nov 27, 2016.

1. minehead

minehead Newbie

I bought a WD 8 TB external hard drive few weeks back and although you can "import" libraries, you cannot drill down in "Files" for libraries that lack the "nicnt" file. I know Win has a code mod that let's you import ANY Kontakt library, any Mac ppl know about this issue or workaround ? thx.

OS X 10.12.1,
    3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Kontakt 5.6

3. minehead

minehead Newbie

btw, NI hasn't replied to the two tickets I opened (a week apart), or on their Facebook page. As everyone knows, they have some of the very worst support you will find by any manufacturer.

4. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I don't use OSX, but I've had some trouble with windows using contact files on a network share.
    I think the problem is, Kontakt won't use the OS built in file management (otherwise it would work). If there is something like "hardlinks" or drive mapping in OSX I would try that. (Hopefully) that encapsulates the file access so that Kontakt thinks it is a normal local drive.

BTW: That's really poor service for paying customers by NI.

5. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Scary -- I was planning on installing Windoze 8 or 10 on my MBP and am setting up a second (SSD) hard drive in place of my optical drive for all my sample libraries (Kontakt, MusicLab, PLAY, Toontrack, PT, IK). I assumed I'd have to format the second drive as FAT32 in order for Kontakt on Windoze to use it, but I wasn't necessarily sure how some (or any) of the PC versions of those programs would access it.

6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Kontakt dont even see ntfs partitions under osx when using paragon.
    Sharing data between os x / win is less fun

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

hmmm, i use osx and have large drives, and never have had a problem opening Kontakt files that are not in the library tab.... unless I am not understanding something... I do it all the time. But I DO format my osx drives for osx.... are you keeping it ex-FAT so it works with different OS's?

8. mapjay

mapjay Member

Ex-Fat is often issues, on both OSX and WIN. I would suggest running MacDrive or similar on your windows partition, to see Mac formatted drives. So all drives could be formatted as Mac OS X Extended, or similar as you see fit. My $.02 :)

9. Kloud

Kloud Guest

exFAT not recommended for internal/external drive wrt Kontakt in general.
    Has slow disk transfer speed. Kontakt needs high disk transfer speed to work well.
    Dedicated high speed SSD the best way to go really.
    Have heard of quite a few others with similar problems with regards to write failures etc.
    Many people use exFAT to work with both OS but it's not recommended.
    Like others above have said reformat drive to suit specific needs probably gonna be your best option.
    Know lot's of people on OSX have reported good results using Mac OS Journalled.
    Hope u sort it :yes:

10. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

AND ExFat, on my drive, has a huge minimum cluster size of 8 KBytes (compared to NTFS's 512 Bytes). Esp. with a lot of small files, the disk will fill fast, because any file uses at least 8K, even if it is as small as 256 Byte (1.000.000 files with 200 bytes will consume 8 Gigabytes compared to 0.5 Gigabyte for NTFS)