Kontakt Library Slow Loading Times

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Nick Bellagio, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Nick Bellagio

Nick Bellagio Member

Hey guys, so I have a lot of libraries and most of them work pretty well and load pretty quickly. However, I have a few libraries I've gotten over the years that regardless of size just take FOREVER to load. I have this Ep Heaven library (around 50GB) that sounds amazing but it literally takes 20 minutes to load one instance. Even some of these tiny wind libraries that are less than 10GB take 5 minutes to load. On some of the bigger ones like cinematic studio woodwinds that are like 100GB I guess its expected to wait 3 minutes but some of these smaller ones it just makes no sense. I have tried batch resave multiple times but no cigar. Any ideas. thx

3. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

rebuild the old libraies correctlly. instruments folder for nki, (as the actual NKS structure)
    make 2Go NKX containers with compressed .nws inside
    copy paste nkr resources in the sample folder
    then batch resave using alternative files format + assing the new samples path.

this is how should be repacked old libraies to load faster. you'll need inNKX to make nkx containers.

a lot of third part libraries are badlly packed, 8dio, spitfire, best service, zero G.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Click the wench symbol in the top left. If the 'Source' is currently set to 'Sampler' mode, change it to 'DFD' (direct from disk).
    upload_2023-2-25_17-41-54.png

If Kontakt complains about purged groups, try 'Purge->Reload all samples' below the camera symbol, wait for all samples to finish loading, then change 'Source' to 'DFD'.
    upload_2023-2-25_17-44-36.png

If it still complains about purged groups, paste this script into one of the empty 'Script Editor' slots, hit 'Apply' and click the new 'Unpurge' button, then change 'Source' to 'DFD'.

Code:
    on init
        declare $i
        declare ui_button $Purge
    end on

on ui_control ($Purge)
        $i := 0
        while ($i < $NUM_GROUPS)
            purge_group($i,1)
            inc($i)
        end while
        $Purge := 0
    end on

Once the instrument is in 'DFD' mode, purge all samples fom memory 'Purge->Purge all samples'.
    upload_2023-2-25_17-48-7.png

Save the instrument (without samples) under a new name.
    Do NOT under any circumstances overwrite the original NKI file.
    Always keep that one one around in case something gets messed up.
    upload_2023-2-25_17-48-55.png

If the instrument was already in 'DFD' mode, just 'Purge->Purge all samples' and save the new instrument under a new name.

Kontakt settings:

'Loading->Load samples in the background' needs to be on for Kontakt to be able to work with purged libraries.
    You can TRY overriding 'Memory->Preload size' with a smaller value, BUT I've had instruments in the past that don't work with this.
    YMMV.