Kontakt Library Addiction... it's a problem?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Ellin, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

I know that this question probably will raise a lot of objections, but I want to do equally: do you, like me, are obsessed with running out of all new Kontakt's libraries and are you stressed if they take them off before you finished download? (Note: I have a slow ADSL... 1 gb = 90 minutes...). Can we call our own dependence on libraries? Do we have enough of those we have? How can we heal?...

3. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

Was into Kontakt Libs for a short time. Mostly to compensate my nicotine addiction when I stopped smoking. Ultimately gained nothing or too little from hoarding. Gave it up and went back to use only those, which seem helpful, which I did anyways. Just stopped piling up things, I won't ever use. Nowadays I treat it like beeing in a record store and diggin' for that one special thing in the crates. :wink:

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

here are a few thoughts:

- decide what you download after your genre you producing and not if you could use it someday and probably no access to the internet or whatever (you wont use it anyway :D).
    - can you build it on your own, do you really need a library for it? (sometimes its a good creative process to build things on your and out of nothing you get creative input from it)
    - can an other plugin do the job better - like less loading time, less size on HDD, less memory usage
    - will you ever use that big huge String library?
    - decide before download it is much easier to skip it, as to delete it when you downloaded it ...

everything on this world could turn into an addiction, we are challenged in this time to bound it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

It helps to have a 1Gbit internet connection :) 1GB takes just a a about 1 minute.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

I upgraded to Komplete Ultimate at 50% off and went Kompletely Legal, I don’t miss all the other libraries I had, but to be honest I still haven’t ditched my backup of them all yet....... :)

7. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

Kontakt's a helluva drug

8. MrMister

MrMister Ultrasonic

Funny, the last week I have been going through libraries and deciding which ones to delete. I find that I occasionally use a kontakt library, but not nearly as often as I used to..Some are indispensable to me, but I am realizing that I don't use most of them in the genres I work within. Sure, it feels awesome to have libraries that are half a grand each, but if they take forever to load, and kill my creative work flow, and I end up using something else to give me a similarly desired feel, so why am I killing my hdd with it? It is hard though, I feel like I'm dying a little bit every time I delete a beautiful sounding library haha

9. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

No, it doesn't help. It makes the addiction worse.
    768kBit connections will help, because you'll know you will never finnish a DL. :yes:

10. Swiss Made

Swiss Made Member

A- I own a legit Komplete 11 ultimate.
    B- I download Kontakt librairies from the sister like a maniac thanks to a fast connection.
    C- Still, I never ever used a single non legit Kontakt lib so far because I'm way too stupid to make them work on a cracked version in parallel (though I read all the threads on the subject) and I don't want to f*** up my system.
    :disco:

11. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@Swiss Made Why should you, if can afford having them legit. I own most of my stuff as well. I think we wouldn't have that much to choose from if all the world doesn't buy anything. And, yes, I like to support the developers of great software.
    So, it's not a shame to be legit :mates:

12. Swiss Made

Swiss Made Member

13. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

14. Swiss Made

Swiss Made Member

PC Win 10.

15. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

(on topic) I guess it's kinda easy 2 get into library collector mode, instead of library user mode. Just try to dl stuff u wanna use? I kinda make it a rule not to dl any 8dio libs, cos I haven't found one that I like, let alone wanna use. Ditto anything future maybach liquid bass et al. Gets easier 2 filter out the noise, eventually. Although, I thought it was sensible & restrained 2 make a "dl everything Spitfire / OTB" rule. That hasn't gone the way I expected, lately :D

16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@Swiss Made: I'll try to make a step by step guide to install Kontakt as you'd like the next days an send it to you by PM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@famouslut It's quite easy to fall back in the collectors mode.
    I tend to DL interesting libs (e.g. Spitfire). But on the other hand I'm willing to delete bad Libs (yes, most if not all of 8Dio for me as well).
    My demand on the quality rises as free space on my NAS falls :yes:

18. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Yeah, I hear you; the clutter (& duplicates) I've found lately! I'm trying to convince myself that I only need Hammersmith, but I'm not persuading my brain or ears, so far :D

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

the faster connection doesnt help, it even feeds the addiction, it is probably also the feeling of downloading something, the process alone is something nice i think, atleast for me. it feels like owning it.
    probably read abit about addictions will help.

20. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Let me tell you my story.

One day I installed kontakt, inserted it, and found out that it uses ~75MB of Ram with NOTHING LOADED. That was p.much when i decided to stay away from kontakt. You can have a very decent-sounding piano in ~36MB of ram.

There are many kontakt libs, cuz devs are lazy to make them in anything else.
    If you stay away from kontakt, your choices will be less, hence more focused, so you'll have less of an addiction. ( I run almost exclusively on VST/sfz/2)

Every so often, you'll see threads with
    "Hey is 32GB enough for my music making PC? obtw I run kontakt",
    "nah, you want 64 for kontakt".

It never ends. And you'll have an addiction to more ram, too.

So just stay away from kontakt. You'll have more time making music. And more money. And more HD space (since kontakt libs usually take up a few gigs each).

NB: Choir libs almost certainly need kontakt so that's 1 exception.

21. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

You are right. 10 years ago, when Kontakt was in the background, I used only soundfont. I worked every sound to make it beautiful with simple, light and free programs. The music I did then is still among my most beautiful, and sound great again.
    Then came Kontakt and the nightmares started ... One day I will have to find the courage to cut the dragon's head ...