Kontakt Libraries Question: 2 locations at once

Discussion in 'Software' started by Moogerfooger, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I would like to have a separate HD for when I play gigs. I would also like to have a studio only HD setup. Is it possible to have doubles of Kontakt library on 2 different hard drives at once without having to consistently delete and relocate the locations for when I change from studio to gig?

3. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I have a laptop I work with on the road that is constantly having drives plugged in and out.... usually if it doesn't find a library where it is used to I just have it to a quick search and it locates the stuff if it is mounted... hasn't really been a problem... (I don't use database function in Kontakt as it increases it's footprint a great deal upon first instantiation if you have a large sample library etc...)

4. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

what exactly is the effect of this? it's much slower to load?

is the best option to just try to remember where you may have moved them
    (or kept them already) and use batch resave? maybe you are saying the same thing...

5. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

It will be slower to load, but that's not why... the database itself is loaded into ram when you open your first instance of Kontakt in a session, subsequent instances will rely on the same database.... but you can easily add a crap ton to it's footprint with a large database.... (especially if you have your database set to scan for samples as well)

and I'm not sure about pc, but on a mac, if something comes up as missing, I just hit the "search" button at the bottom (forget its actual labeling), and it finds everything in under a second.... you might have issues with "library" files or activations, but I don't remember encountering any... but I open sessions on my laptop created on my desktop and back and forth all the time... if the Kontakt library isn't there, it just won't open that patch etc...