Kontakt libraries moved on new PC

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by wicked, Nov 28, 2014.

1. wicked

wicked Newbie

I bought a new PC, installed new Win7, DAW, etc. on it.
    On my old PC I had several Kontakt libraries, some of them I just had to uncompress, some of them I had to install (eg. NI libraries).
    My question: if I just move the directories (eg. Action Strikes Library, AEON Melodic, Cinematic Guitars, etc.), is it OK? Or maybe I will miss some files (mainly those that were installed)?
    Thanks in advance!

3. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

you should have no problems at all,At most you will have to add your libraries again

4. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

You must install and add all libraries again. If you have new Win7, then you have new regedit and all the records should be there. So, moving the directories is not enough.
    But, you can always make work .nki files by drag and drop.

5. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

If he using cracked kontakt it won't matter as it byapass the service centre anyway? Therefore theoretically can't he just install & update to the latest version of Kontakt on new computer move library directory & simply re-add the libraries as Mykal suggested? In the process all the relevant reg entries needed will be created. Don't think u need to re-install but not 100%.

6. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

I do it all the time and have never had to re-install a damn thing, FFS a lot of libraries don't even have an installer. You just add it to Kontakt and it automatically adds it to the data base

7. Clandestine

Exactly, the only thing he may have a problem with would be say pictures in the Kontakt folder say like with some of the sample logic libraries or 8 Dio ones. However like u say most don't have an installer & most of the picture data stored in with the library which is totally separate to any registration data that not connected & not important anyway. So a simple re-add would deffo work.

8. mono

mono Audiosexual

hi you can find the pictures here on your old pc,

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5

after you install Kontakt on your new pc
    just copy them and add them into your new folder,
    say no if it ask you to over right any pic as you just want to update it to what you dont have,
    a quick backup of that folder would be good to make
    just to be safe ,then add the libraries to Kontakt,
    as user 137 said there are only a few pic that go there,

9. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

That folder has nothing to do with the original topic

10. Clandestine

Plus it not always a given that the pictures needed were actually installed to that location & could also have been moved. The location u mentioned is simply the kontakt factory default location which will be re-installed anyway when he installs Kontakt. U can choose where to install them & it doesn't have to be that location, for example it could be in his personal documents, but i get what u mean.

The most simple solution to avoid excess mess would simply be to copy the libraries & re-add as was suggested in the first place.

Any further problems he get's GUI wise (if any) which I doubt he will can also be further dealt with in a variety of ways but that is a different problem.

11. wicked

wicked Newbie

Thanks for everyone, I moved them without any problem.

I just realized I can delete all those downloaded release "install" versions, with hundreds of rar files, etc. and I can just live with the directories I have in my Kontakt dir. :)

12. Clandestine

Yes but if you mess up the library or anything corrupts you may need to the original rar's so I would keep maybe a backup of your favourites or even say burn them to disk.

That way whatever happens you always have a copy. Disks dirt cheap, apart from dual layer for big iso's etc.

Would be rubbish say if you batch resave a 100GB library which stips zones from NKI's & it becomes whatever only to have to redownload 100.

Always keep in mind that even if you have the library on another comp in library form if that messed up somehow then without the original RAR etc is another download.

Only do it for your're fav's etc. I have like a 4TB external just for downloaded stuff etc they cheap enough to buy & if u not need fast disk transfer rate i.e just for storage then u get them much cheaper. They always usefull.

Glad u sorted it :wink:

13. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

some libraries need a regedit hack if you move the original files to a network hard drive.

i just tested this on EWQL libraries batch re-saved from kontakt 3.5( add library was not working ) when all others not modified where ok.

for theses one's i tryed everything, edit.nicnt, hack the service center .xml, resave a nki from v5.3.1... nothing was working except a regedit modification.
    a manual re location as follow... ( from XP to win7 server, all was OK but from win7 to XP server it was impossible to register the library)

i edited manually the new location + visibility and all was showing again (6 libraries added in one clic via regedit) directly at the kontakt opening.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments\SOStrings]
    "UserRemoved"=dword:00000000
    "UserListIndex"=dword:00000000
    "ContentDir"="X:\\EWQLSO Strings\\"
    "ContentVersion"="1.0.0"
    "Visibility"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Native Instruments\SOStrings]

the libraries saved locations diverge with the os and the kontakt version you used to register it, moving from HKCU to HKLM for some softs. try to have a look on it when kontakt refuse to charge/show/find the libraries.