Kontakt. How do i merge samples into NKX files?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by und3rd0g, May 8, 2012.

1. und3rd0g

und3rd0g Newbie

Hi,

I've seen that in many recent kontakt libraries, samples are packed into a big single file: for example in Alicia Key's piano, in the "Samples" subfolder all sounds are merged into big nkx/nkc files (each nkx is over 1GB size).

I would like to do the same thing with other libraries that contains TONS of wav/ncw files, and merge them into a single (or few) bigger file: i'm not a computer expert but i think it's faster, more simple, and safer because it gives more life to my hard-disk.

I've tried to create a monolith file for every instrument in my personal libraries, but it's useless. Why? Because almost every instrument in the library share the same wav/ncw sounds: creating a monolith for each instrument means having multiple copies of the same sound file inside each monolith...it's an incredible waste of hard-disk space.

In fewer words, i'd like to merge every sounds into larger nkx files that are accessible by all the instruments in the library. I've tried to use Kontakt Assistant by Chicken Systems, it's the only software that seems to have that "nkx merge" function, but without luck. It's very buggy, outdated, and it crashes all the time i try to use it. Luckily you can avoid the risk and try a free demo before throwing away 80$!

At this point (after a long period of failed attempts) i believe that the only option left is creating an ISO file for each sound library, but i don't think it's a good method. Maybe it's too slow or tricky, especially when you have many old-style-format kontakt libraries to manage. I have to try it yet...or there's any other sort of workaround possible?

Unlike other sampler software out there, it seems to me that only Native Instruments and third party companies have the exclusive right to do that, maybe for "commercial" reasons. It's very sad...

p.s. sorry for my english

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

4. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Welcome aboard !

That's a VERY interesting question (specially for a first post :wink: ).
    I'm also concerned by your enquiry and I will push more further my searches about it.

5. und3rd0g

und3rd0g Newbie

You can download the free version at this link. It's in the download section of the site.

I remember a sort of "nkx pack" funcion in the software, but i can't help more than that:

1. during installation i've got an "unable to register DLL/OCX" for the "SysMenu.dll" file, simply ignore that error and continue the installation...
    the program will start but probably my crash problems are caused by that error

2. months are passed since my last try, and my unique unlock code given by e-mail to use the program is expired

So...you can try if you want. Maybe you will have better luck, and give better explanations...

6. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ und3rd0g,

Firstly, I'm deeply sorry and receive my apologies to have been a bit doubtful about 'How you can have tried the Demo as it was not still available'. You're totally right and through your provided link, there's effectively a link to get this demo, either for PC or MAC OSX. However, I hope that you can easily understand that, when for the first time, you see the 'official' page of this 'Kontakt Assistant' stipulating (about the Demo) that : "This will be available shortly", you can ask yourself : 'What's wrong here ?' :dunno:
    So, my first comment will be deleted (just after posting this second comment). I'll just leave the 2 links for the 'Details' and 'List of Features', that I think could be useful for others users that eventually want to check them...

Now concerning the trouble that you got during the installation :
    I don't really know what to say you because I don't know this program at all... but DLL files are always somewhat 'important' files (at least under PC), and effectively this could leads to some troubles afterward...

Finally, for the '.nkx merge function', once again I payed attention at the 'Details' and 'List of Features' without not really find anything compelling about it ! :dunno:
    Maybe it could be wise that you directly send to 'Chicken Systems' a short PM asking them for this eventual feature...

Nevertheless, Thank You very much :wink: to have bring to our attention this program that seems, in some sense, to be a kind of 'Swiss Army knife' for some Kontakt users (which I belong ! *yes* ).

7. und3rd0g

und3rd0g Newbie

@ Studio 555

No problem. Me too i've had difficulties to find the free download link at first time.

Updating the site, as well as the software, would be a good thing...

I hope that someone here will test this program (hopefully without having this "dll error" during installation) and give some feedback.

Thanks for the support :wink: