KONTAKT crashing DAW unloading multiple libraries

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by BaSsDuDe, Jan 22, 2024.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

So it's not some random thread, I looked this up on several sites and it's not limited to any DAW. It can happen anytime. NI have been directly asked and have not responded as yet it seems?
    They tried pointing to people's computer setups and that failed abysmally for them.

Basically - If you load several libraries in a larger project and decide to unload by clicking the 'x' in the right upper corner to close libraries, without notice, it can crash unexpectedly. (Save early save often).
    Unloading Kontakt completely does not have this problem. The issue is if you wish to render then load some new new libraries for other MIDI files in the same project. Sure, you can load multiple Kontakt instances, but that's not the point. You cannot close within Kontakt itself without risking a crash.

NI also attempted to point to third party unauthorized libraries which is total bullshit as their own do the same thing if loaded with many individual instruments.

Maybe this has been mentioned here before. If so and there is a fix, great. Maybe the 'fixer' should tell NI. Also post the link where the 'guaranteed' fix is.
    If not, perhaps keeping this as a thread where if someone finds a fix, they can assist and help the community.
    I have workarounds but nobody likes their workflow interrupted with DAW crashes on a paying job.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Which version/build, and which DAW? You mention that it only happens in "Large Projects", but does it happen in an empty DAW project session? If it really is a NI Kontakt problem, it would fail in both scenarios. Kontakt "doesn't care" what size project it has been loaded into.
    That would make you consider the problem being with the DAW, or something to do with your RAM, OS version, and possibly file permissions.
    When you close the instruments which are crashing the DAW, memory is being unallocated/purged of the samples you had loaded. Depending on your settings in Kontakt, it could be trying to write to a file it does not have permissions to do so with. Like an "auto-save state upon close".

Also, they can play the finger-pointing game in respect to third party libraries. There are files created/saved on the hard disk when you install new libraries. Simply closing them does not remove those files from your system. If something that is installed is causing this problem, it doesn't matter what libraries are crashing. That is a symptom, not necessarily a cause.

What have you done to attempt fixing it? Have you tested with the same content loaded into Kontakt using an empty DAW session, and as Standalone? Looked at lower level files like Native Access stuff? How about trying in other DAW? Checked any utility programs that deal with system resources? Re-seated RAM? Reinstalled Kontakt cleanly after removing with Revo?

4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Load Valves or any decent sized library in individual instruments - e.g. 2x Flugel, FH, Bone, Euphonium, Tuba... then a large Piano library of your choice.
    Create a midi file for each. Play something in each say 4x bars. Then change your mind that you want to replace the valves with another large horn library e.g. Hein... watch what happens.

I also searched reddit, gearspace and other sites. The DAW's vary from Reaper, Cubase, Ableton, Logic and ProTools so it seems it is not an O/S, configuration, or a DAW, or in my case a memory issue, speed or space (128Gb RAM, 2x NVME's and 80gb HDD 7200rpm). My O/S has no defender, no updates, no bloatware. I can process video editing in realtime and generally, with the exception of Kontakt, audio. So I have no idea and it seems many others do not either. It is random. I simply got into the habit of "It's loaded, save it"... minimizes losses.

Without Kontakt, I can play 128 audio tracks without overloading the CPU or using all of the RAM... it's only Kontakt I have issues with. Falcon doesn't have this issue. How do I know this? While many of the libraries that are supposedly similar they are not but size wise many are comparable...no issues.

I tried wih both the legit version and Bob Dules. If anything, Bob Dules is more stable. Go figure?

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'm not doing anything of the sort. I am on Mac, I do not have your current problem, and I'm not going to be able to duplicate a problem that is not related to problematic libraries. Especially by loading up something I have not paid for. That would just give credence to them blaming anything else, but their software. Also, on Mac we have @Fred Bloggs KLU application. It can show and often fix many problems that you cannot just fix within Kontakt.

Searching other forums is close to meaningless, unless you find a solution. You are just confirming that this can happen with Kontakt. But we already know that. Anyone on other forums like Reddit, etc. are not going to admit using pirated copies of anything. It's just as likely as it is on here; but at least on here no-one cares so there is no reason to hide that fact when they want to fix something. For example, with Cubase crashdump files. That can make it very easy to figure out a problem, but users will not upload them because "they are going to know" about stuff they have installed.

NI know their software product has been tested for millions of hours, and probably on any system configuration imaginable. To get them to take ownership of a problem with some basic function will be an uphill battle of documenting every little detail. To blame someone else, they have the libraries, the DAW, cracked Kontakt, your Operating System, and even your hardware available to them for potential scapegoats.

6. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

It's all over their own official site. There is an issue as I said at the very beginning.
    I figure if someone has something useful to add for a fix because ANYONE can say "It does not happen on my system". That helps NOBODY. It does happen on very many systems, and I own WAY more of my audio gear than I have on trial. In fact. I tend to delete whatever I do not use regularly and end up buying what I do use regularly. So moot points about anyone owning up. If it is happening across the board, it's a problem no matter whether owned or warez. An issue on both is an issue on both. I also have a PC and a MAC. For totally different reasons and different DAW's.