Kontakt 7 crashed, cannot open again

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Alpenfritz, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Alpenfritz

Alpenfritz Newbie

HI everybody. So first my specs:
    Os Ventura 13.6.4
    K*Kontakt 7.6

everything worked fine, until I opened a project ( that workes fine a few hours ago). Kontakt crashed on opening hat project ( i think while loading a library) and than I cannot launch kontakt. CAnnot launch the standalone. It immediatly crashed when opening up, cannot load the vst. It causes an instant crash.

Anyone a idea what can be wrong and how to fis it. Maybe an old libaray?

Cheers

I also have to say that i tried it all. i updated, I reinstalled and I also downgraded. But nothing helped. I even installed a legit version of Kontakt PLayer. Same issue

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2024
  3. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

4. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I had the same problem some time ago.
    There wasn't even a window opening, but Kontakt 7.exe was resident in the task manager.
    Deinstalling/installing did not fix the problem. Neither any other versions.

If it is the same problem you have with your installation, I think I can help.

1. Restart your machine (to make sure Kontakt 7 isn't running anymore)
    2. Uninstall Kontakt 7
    3. Delete the folder c:\Users\$UserName$\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Kontakt 7\
    where $UserName$ is you user name on the machine
    4. Reinstall Kontakt 7 (I use Bob Dule's 7.8.1 version)

Have fun again.

5. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

He said Os Ventura 13.6.4

6. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

OK, my bad. Then just adapt for MacOS.

My premise is: There is no reason why Kontakt should not run on a system on which it was already running.
    It will therefore be likely due to remaining remnants of the program that are defective.
    (Fortunately, MacOS does not have the registry, which makes it easier)

I suspect a broken database - that collects information about Libraries - is what causes the problem.

Search for remnants of Kontakt 7 e.g. a directory called "Kontakt 7" with the finder and delete them.
    Even if these are different OS its likely NI uses the same methodology for both therefore solutions are not that different.

7. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Additionally, since MACOS is *NIX based, you can use the GREP command to look for anything Kontakt related (even in text and non-executables) and remove it. At that point you should be able to at least run a FULL PORTABLE version without incident... On the windows side I use Ultrasearch for this kind of thing...

8. Alpenfritz

Alpenfritz Newbie

Thanks for all the answers. Unfortunatly id didnt work by deleting kontakt ( using the App Cleaner). So what I was thinking is, that my DAW crashed while Kontakt was loading a Library. Probably its a problem with that. Is there any possibilty to check if thats the case or force Kontakt to start without loading its libraries?

And it doesnt matter which version of Kontakt7 I am installing. While this happened I was on 7.6
    I updated on 7.8 still the same. i downgraded to 7.3 still the same

So I am thankfull for all your suggestions :)

Also worth to mention: I installed Kontakt 6.8.1 (HCiSO) runs like a charm

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  9. ambbe

ambbe Ultrasonic

Windows user here, but 99% of the time it takes Kontakt to open it is scanning the libraries. For a long time I couldn't open Kontakt because it crashed every time. I don't know how to do it on Mac but it temporarily unlinks the libs so that Kontakt starts clean

10. Alpenfritz

Alpenfritz Newbie

so what did you do to avoid that?

11. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

For Kontak 6
    it too the App ages to start when you have a lot of libs: Inside setting go to "database" delete all entries. Afterwards Kontakt starts much quicker.

For Kontakt 7: The database is called "komplete.db3" but it's safe to delete the whole directory. So delete the folder
    Code:
    c:\Users\$UserName$\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Kontakt 7\
    it's safe. But if you are in doubt just rename the Directory.
    Kontakt just rebuilds the database from scratch the next time it starts in the background.

For MacOS it'll be quite the same but the folder may have another title so delete the remanants as pointed out here:

12. ambbe

ambbe Ultrasonic

On Windows, Kontakt libraries are registered in a registry key, and some are also registered in a folder. I just had to delete or rename that. Then he started Kontakt at lightning speed and without any problems. Next I added libraries one by one, making sure that there were no repeated SNPIDs. This is how I managed to solve it

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Alpenfritz

Alpenfritz Newbie

Just to make clear: The library worked fine some days and ever hours ago. I just opened another session and it couldnt load and crashed. very strange

14. Alpenfritz

Alpenfritz Newbie

thanks a lot. MAybe someone here can explain how I do the GREP coomant properly?

15. Alpenfritz

Alpenfritz Newbie

Dear People, does it make any sense to ask the people of NI about this problem. Because the problem also exisxts with the legit version of kontakt?

Cheers

16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Yeah, why not. I would just get the cracked stuff out of the way, because if they help, they want to get on your computer for diagnostics. So temporarily uninstall cracked stuff, move "unofficial" libs to external media.

Don't you have a friend nearby who is familiar with Mac? I'm sure it's a small job that could be done on site in 5 minutes.

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

there is no way i'd let NI do remote access helpdesk stuff. Not over Kontakt. It's such a standard piece of software, with a huge user base, even on Mac. I would get rid of all versions, and cleanly install only K6 or K7 cracked known-working release. I would suggest using KLU (Kontakt Library Utility) from Fred Bloggs: https://audiosex.pro/threads/klu-kontakt-library-utility-version-2.72857/

It will easily add your libraries, lets you edit SNPID, create NINCT, and all that other stuff. Unless you have run into a true bug in their software which they can fix, going back to the developer is almost always a waste of time. If it is brand new software, with very few users; that can be the better option. Otherwise, they will almost always blame you or your current machine and it's other software. And that's because they are almost always right, and it's something you could fix without their involvement at all. You just need to be methodical to solve problems.

Just the mention of NI and remote access would remind me to check my firewall and settings, and hosts file.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  18. Alpenfritz

Alpenfritz Newbie

Here is an update of the problem. I tried to lopen kontakt in the Terminal. I get this message:"zsh: segmentation fault"
    anyone xperienced this kind of failure message?

Thank you all!