Kontakt 6 Mac library order and embedded wallpaper…

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Fred Bloggs, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs Platinum Record

Hi folks.
    I'm trying to find some information but NOBODY seems to know these things, even on Kontakt's site forum !
    Two things I'm after, therefore :
    • How does Kontakt 6 store the library order in the left panel of Kontakt ? It is NOT the way Kontakt 5 used to do it, using the user preference file for each library. Kontakt 6 does however update these, I suppose for backward compatibility with V5 or something, but you can throw them all out and K6 will still remember the order and recreate the user prefs file next time it quits ! I've searched for days (literally!) without finding the golden key :dunno:
    • How are png files embedded in a NICNT file ? Studying a NICNT with an embedded wallpaper reveals what appears to be a png file with a png header and footer, but if you recreate a png file with header, footer and everything in between, it can't be opened and is flagged as an invalid png file ! There's obviously more to it than that, but what ? There is some Windows software the can supposedly do this but I don't know how it does it.
    Any pointers would be much appreciated, as I would like to incorporate it in a Kontakt utilities programme I'm writing, which also combines my two utilities posted elsewhere here, SNPIDer and NICNT creator.
    Thanks in advance.

3. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

Kontakt use a database to store the library list.
    kontaktdb2_56
    C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Kontakt\Db (in windows)

the nicnt is folder structured, you can see how with total commander + inNKX.
    the image is in a resources sub folder, and it is called .LibBrowser
    this folder also contain PaResources.

the windows kontakt package i made contain a library organizer and total commander, it will be more informative than the kontakt forum.

4. Fred Bloggs

Thanks for your answer. I'm not sure how this can help me on Mac. There is a /Users/User/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Kontakt/Db/ folder on Mac, which contains a file called "kontaktdb2_56" - no extension. This file is indeed updated each time Kontakt 6 quits, but if the library order is in there, it's encrypted in some way, but I can't make head or tail of it ! It contains names of NONE of my libraries, but only Factory default ones, it seems.
    Do you have any idea how the information is stored in kontaktdb2_56 ? This file seems common to both Mac and PC. Do you know its structure on PC ? Perhaps I should set up a PC to try this with total commander and inNKX.
    Thanks in advance for any other information you can give me.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  5. Fred Bloggs

Oooops !! Double post ! Sorry.