Kontakt 6 & 7 - where are the wallpaper.png's?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by deaman, Dec 31, 2022.

1. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

I've been using Kontakt 6 and recently upgraded to K7.

Even in K6, there were always a couple of left panel wallpapers that were missing from select libraries.

The same libraries don't show up in the left side libraries of K7, as expected.

I've been trying to figure out how to install these missing icon/images.

I've downloaded wallpapers, installed them in library folders, and renamed them wallpaper.png, but they just don't show up.

I tried looking at all the library folders that DO show up, but I cannot find ANY wallpaper.png anywhere.

Where are these wallpaper.png's THAT Do show up, reside?

Any help or direction is appreciated!

3. dja

dja Newbie

4. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

I have attempted to search that thread for answers, but have not found anything about my specific question.

If you know of a post in that thread, that has an answer, could you please point to it directly.

Thanks.

5. Owan

Owan Kapellmeister

I think you wanna switch between Kontakt's classic mode and the new compact tagging system.
    Inside Kontakt 7 you just need to click on the 3 lines right next to the Kontakt logo on the top left side.
    The right line is angled, the other two are upright.
    It's a misleading interface, not really intuitive. had that problem as well when first using K7.
    Did that solve your issue?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  6. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

I do know how to switch between the new icon system and the old left side libraries tab.

I actually prefer the left side library list.

However, the question is how to make the wallpaper.png appear. For several libraries they didn't appear in K6, and still dnt appear in K7.

I have downloaded the wallpaper, installed it in the root folder of the library (per instructions), changed the .png name to wallpaper.png, but it still does not show up.

Does it have to do with a Resource Folder somewhere? I did find one and even put the wallpaper.png in there. Still didn't work.

It seems so simple but for some reason a couple of my libraries have no libraries tab wallpaper, even when installed.

7. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Install the portable 7 version and use the included *.exe library helper to scan your KONTAKT library folder. I'm not a KONTAKT expert. I just fuck around until sh*t works. Once the 'helper' scans libraries that have NICNT files, those associated libs will show up on the left hand side, all pretty n' fancy n' stuff.

I'm old skool. If I have to use the file browser or quik load to load a lib, so be it.

Happy New Year :)

8. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

Thanks Bluerover.

Interesting suggestion. The library helper is only available in the portable version?

Any particular portable version? Or, is there only one?

I too, just fuck around until shit works. I don't mind the empty picture slots. The name still appears and that's good enough, but now I have a wild hair up my ass (and I'm having fun) trying to figure this little mystery out.

I figured some Kontakt Guru here, would probably know the simple answer.

9. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Either r4e or vkDanilov.

Don't worry, they'll chime in soon.

10. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

I saw the vkDanilov portable, but no r4e portable.

I prefer r4e.

11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

PM'd you.

12. dja

dja Newbie

Sorry, deamon, for the obviously less than helpful reply. I, like you, like many of us in this forum, look to the experts for help. I've learned a lot from the guys in the thread I suggested. It goes back a long way and consequently deals with the issues that arise when NI comes out with a new version on Kontakt.

What I've gleaned thus far, and what so far has solved all these library problems for me, is the use of several tools:
    1. NI Uninstall RegTool_64bit available from NI on their support page. It clears out windows registry entries
    2. NI-create tool . Part of Tracer's Tinytoolz still available on the AZ site
    3. the "add-library tool" also available on the sister site.

I suggest running the Uninstall tool first.
    Next, delete the old .nicnt file (probably no necessary, but...)
    Create a new .nicnt using Tracer's tool
    Use the "add library" tool to re-register the library.

And, of course, the panel wallpaper.png needs to be in the library root folder.

I hope this helps
    D.

13. dja

dja Newbie

And, BTW deamon, I'm not sure that you realize that some wallpapers are "imbedded" in the .nicnt file of some libraries. Which is why the image shows up for some libraries and not others.
    D.

14. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

Dja -

Not finding other (working) wallpapers I suspected they must be embedded in the .nicnt.

Thanks for the tip about the NI Uninstall tool.

Would the Bob Dule tools, for creating and adding libraries, work too?

15. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

I did as instructed. Used the uninstall tool but I used the bob dule .nicnt maker, and add library tools.

Still, no left panel wallpaper.

Weird.

Also, now I've come across a couple of libraries that, although they say they are "added", don't show up anywhere at all. I just have to access via quick load.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  16. dja

dja Newbie

deamon,

Gosh, sorry to hear that you're still having issues. And, of course, the bob tools should have worked for you.

As you say, weird.

Are you sure it's not an SNPID issue?

17. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

No.

How would I make sure?

I note, with the Bob Dule .nicnt maker, any combination of alphanumeric characters can be used, (it does stop you if a conflict arises) successfully. However, it did cross my mind that the few which aren't appearing in the left library panel at all, may have something to do with the SNPID created.

18. dja

dja Newbie

One of the tools in Tracers Tinytoolz gathers SNPID info from the Native Access xml files. These guys come into play during the registration process. They look, not unsurprisingly, like the data in the .nicnt file. They are located in \program files\common files\native instruments\service center.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the nicnt create tool in bobdules set was originally part of Tinytoolz. And ,as you suggest, does the SNPID checking for you. In which case, it probably means that it's not an SNPID problem.

When I add a new library I first go out and delete the service center data.

I'm sure I'm using a way bigger hammer than necessary, but at this point clearing out all of the potential problems in the registry and service center and recreating the the nicnt seems to solve all of the type of issues that you having.

And, believe me, I feel your pain.

19. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

Lol....thank you, dja!

20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yes, it's the original Tracer's one. Bobdule did a very small modification (encoding from RAS2 to RAS3), but necessary since Kontakt v6.7+

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. deaman

deaman Ultrasonic

So, no one else has run into this situation, huh?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023