Kontakt 6.7 & Sandisk SSD issue (Mac M1)

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by bluesuedeuk, Mar 30, 2023.

1. bluesuedeuk

bluesuedeuk Newbie

I'm running Kontakt 6.7 in Logic on a Mac M1 Mini and previously had my libraries stored on an external LaCie 4Tb USB-C mobile drive which worked fine but was incredibly slow. Last week I bought a SanDisk 1Tb Extreme SSD and transferred my most used libraries across. The problem arises every time I relaunch Kontakt and even though the libraries graphic show up in the left hand pane, when you click on "Instruments" or "Multis" there is nothing there. It seems that Kontakt has lost the drive path information. This ONLY happens when the libraries are on the SanDisk drive. I've tried moving a couple of them to the Macintosh HD and they work perfectly again. Is there an issue with this drive? (SanDisk).

I've tried using 'Manage Libraries' & 'Database' to point Kontakt back to the directory on the SanDisk which at first seems to work but if I close and re-open the project the libraries are gone again.

I'm out of ideas as it all works fine on the LaCie (too slow) and the Macintosh HD (too small) and the problem only occurs when using the SanDisk. Anyone had a similar issue and found a fix for this? Thanks.

3. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Platinum Record

Years ago Kontakt was only working with HFS+ (or today also APFS) formatted drives, don't know if this has changed. Those USB drives usually come pre formatted with exFAT to be compatible with Mac and Win systems. Formatting it with HFS+ or APFS should solve the problem.

4. bluesuedeuk

bluesuedeuk Newbie

Thanks, I should have said earlier that I'd already formatted the SanDisk to APFS and after finding the problem I formatted it back to exFAT to see if that made any difference (the LaCie was exFAT) but no joy. It's a really strange one...

5. Londoner

Londoner Member

That does sound strange ... I've run various versions of 6 on my m1 last year and 7 this year with instruments and multis and libraries on a 1TB JetDrive without any problems (https://amzn.to/3U3JnUU) .. sorry I couldn't' be of more help :/

There is a post from someone on the Kontakt offical forum about a SanDisk Extreme not being seen and the advice was to reformat it to APFS as there's a bug .. https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/39189#Comment_39189

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023