*SOLVED* Kontakt 6.4.1 (symlink) running with Free Kontakt Player?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Kdlan, May 13, 2021.

1. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

Hi I'm on Windows and I currently have Kontakt 6.4.1 (symlink version) installed.

The problem is, there are some libraries that require 6.4.2 and higher that I have downloaded the cracks for, but cannot install because of my older version.

If I install Free Kontakt Player, Can I run it alongside 6.4.1 without it messing up my current cracked libraries, or anything else? Will I be able to install the new cracked libraries that are .exe for Free Kontakt Player just fine?

Also I do not have Komplete Kontrol if that matters. I am just looking to get Free Kontakt Player to run with my 6.4.1 symlink version.

3. rollerball

rollerball Platinum Record

Welcome to the forums @Kdlan!
    I'll ask this first, why not update your k'd Kontakt to the latest version instead? It will solve all your issues and I'd recommend you do this.

To answer your question, no. Kontakt Player will load only those libraries which you have purchased and have authorisation codes for. Moreover, it doesn't run any libraries which are not Player-compatible. And installing it might actually mess up your earlier k'd Kontakt installation.

Also, just a minor correction, there are no "cracked" libraries. All libraries are the same, it's just that k'd Kontakt doesn't ask for authorisation for the library. And as you're on Windows, I suggest you take a look at Kontakt Portable. The Portable versions have the same functionality, but they are generally easier to work with as they don't write any data to the Windows Registry. You can also have multiple Kontakt Portable versions at once.

4. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

I haven't updated it because there's no new Symlink of Kontakt 6.4.2 or higher. The highest the 6.4.1 for Symlink. What does K'd mean? Does that just mean cracked? Pardon my ignorance.

I actually have Kontakt 6.0.2 Symlink and Kontakt 6.4.1 Symlink installed simultaneously and they both run.

I'm worried about installing a newer version of Kontakt that isn't symlink because I've read some ppl on torrent sites having issues with it or saying it messed up libraries or whatever.

As far as Kontakt Portable, the 2 banks I'm looking at getting say they require Full Kontakt.

If I install a newer Kontakt (preferably 6.5.2 and above because one of the banks I want requires 6.5.2) Can I keep my Kontakt 6.4.1 symlink version installed? If not, what happens to all my libraries, and my sessions in my DAW which require The Kontakt I've been using to load those instruments?

Sorry for all the questions, your help is very much appreciated. And if you can also point me in the right direction of a safe and trusted Kontakt install of 6.5.2 that would be appreciated too!

5. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Kontakt Portable is FULL and works perfect with all kinds of libraries. The word Portable doesn´t mean a downgraded version. Download and try it (no need to install, read the instructions) it will run along your symlink stuff.

6. rollerball

Yes, k'd means cracked.

I don't know what DAW you're using, but in your DAW plugin list, only the latest version should show up. However, you can use both from the standalone executables.

That's where you're mistaken. Kontakt Portable is not some limited version of Kontakt like Kontakt Player. Portable versions are also a cracked version of Kontakt and run similar to the symlink versions you're using, however the advantage of Portable versions is that they don't need to be installed and can be simply placed in your plugin directory, and also that they keep all the required data in the folder itself and don't touch the Windows Registry at all.

In my experience at least, using REAPER on Windows, upgrading to a higher version of Kontakt simply makes the newer version of Kontakt load up in the DAW instead of the older one, and all your projects will load up with the newer version of Kontakt. Note that you'd need to add all the libraries you have in v6.4.1 using the Library Manager.

Check your PMs!

7. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

Thank you for the help guys!

Yeah so the way I got both 6.0.2 and 6.4.1 running simultaneously Is I just renamed the 6.4.1 .dll file to something different than "Kontakt"

Rudolph - I read that you said there's no need to install Portable. I downloaded Kontakt Portable 6.5.3 but there is a .exe file?

Unfortunately the text document that comes in the folder is a bunch of unreadable characters for me.

8. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

Also this is how I would add all my libraries with my 6.0.2 and 6.4.1 versions. Is this what you guys meant by library manager, is it the same process? (sorry about picture size)

IMG_5094.jpg IMG_5096.jpg IMG_5097.jpg

9. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

The .exe is the application that opens the Kontakt Portable gui, just click on it. Somewhere in these threads is a translation of the instructions, search for it, it´s really easy all the process. Just keep the whole folder without changes in a safe place of your HDD.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  10. rollerball

Yes, it comes with an exe file. However, that exe file just asks you for where you want to store Kontakt and simply extracts it there. Think of it like a self-extracting zip archive.
    This means that if you have another PC, you don't have to take that EXE and run it to get Kontakt Portable there. Instead you can just copy the Kontakt Portable folder from your PC to that other PC.

The process is similar for Kontakt Portable too. There is an executable named Library Manager.exe in the location [Kontakt Plugin Directory]/Helper/Library Manager, which performs the task of adding the library to Kontakt. Pressing the "Manage libraries" button inside Kontakt also launches this executable.
    Also, just a tip, you don't need to have both versions of Kontakt named differently, just so they show up as different plugins in your DAW. If you upgrade your Kontakt version, your DAW should automatically select the latest one. Your older projects should continue to run normally.

Not exactly. As stated above, the EXE that comes with the Portable downloads is more like a self-extracting archive.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  11. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

Ok guys. So I found a translation someone posted of the cyrillic text file, and followed the instructions. Having some issues.

1st problem: I followed the other instructions in the VST folder of the paths you see below and added them to plugin directory as it says.

only the x86 .dll shows up after I scan, not the x64.

image01.jpeg

2nd problem: When I open the library manager in Kontakt Portable x86 this error comes up. And in the pics after this one are the errors that come up when I click Save after adding the library, and Then when I X out of the library manager.

image02.jpeg

image04.jpeg

image03.jpeg

3rd: One of the main reasons I wanted the new Kontakt as I mentioned was to be able to use banks that are only compatible with newer versions. When it's a Setup file like the picture below (NO .nicnt) how do I add it to Kontakt without messing things up (other libraries, etc.)

image05.jpeg

Thank you to both of you again for all the help.

12. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

Ok so I was reading on sister site that the folder depth might have been too deep and to take it out of Program Files. That did the trick!

x64 shows up, and no errors now when adding libraries. Added that one in the picture in my last post successfully.

Now I just need help with my 3rd point in my last post and we should be good to go :like:

13. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

ok I think I figured it out. I installed on another computer. Copied the folders with the nicnt file to my external and put them on my main computer. Then uninstalled the bank from my other computer. I did all this with my internet off on my other computer so everything should be good right

14. rollerball

I don't keep my VSTs in Program Files. I keep them in a separate drive and my plugin path is longer than what you initially showed, but still it works without any issues. Nevertheless, it's great that you got it working.

You don't need to worry about libraries which come as installers like the one you showed above. I have installed many such libraries and they haven't messed up anything yet. The only thing these installers do is add some data to your registry, which Kontakt Portable totally ignores.

Also a little tip: Since you're using Portable now, before you install a newer version, backup the folder at this location: [Kontakt Portable directory]\UserData.
    You can simply install the update on top of the existing version by extracting it in the same path. Generally your settings are preserved, but a while ago, one of the updates wiped all of the data in the above location, which meant that people needed to add all their libraries again. If that happens, simply overwrite the folder in the location shown above with your backup.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  15. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

Ok got it about the UserDate backup. Will do that.

Ok that's good to know in the future I can just do a straight install on my computer for those libraries which come as installers.

I got the new banks to work. Wouldn't have portable right now and been able to do that if you guys didn't help out!

Thanks again

16. Deeze

Deeze Newbie

17. rollerball

Awesome! You should go to the first post on this thread, edit the title and add "SOLVED" to it.

18. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

Hey I'm trying to upgrade to 6.7.1 portable now. The last version I had installed was 6.6.1 but I believe it was a different version/different creator than the 6.7.1 portable kontakt. Does the process still work the same way?

19. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Very simple.. extract over top of the old location. I've never had to backup the user folder like rollerball mentioned in post 13 (and it's pretty easy for me to re-add all the libraries anyways), but never a bad idea to do so.

But yah, every new version, I just simply extract over top of the older folder, and away you go.

20. Kdlan

Kdlan Newbie

Hey Guys, with Kontakt 7.1.8 portable vkDan... version is there a difference in the installation process than what we discussed in this thread?

21. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yes, it's different because it's a portable version. There should some threads here in this forum about it.