Kontakt 5/6 No GUI in Studio One

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Berek, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Berek

Berek Newbie

My hosts file recently got reset (trojan :-/ ), and I've been kludging solutions ever since.

I've got Studio One 3 back up and running, and all of the instruments and plugins are fine except for Kontakt. 5 and 6 will load, and even load instruments into already populated instances in completed songs, but I've got no interface in the instrument window (see image below). All other instruments and plugins show up just fine.

The stand-alone version of Kontakt 6 is fine, with a GUI and loaded instruments showing. I've found no reference to this. Anyone experienced this weirdness? Thanks in advance!
    Annotation-2020-08-03-083608.jpg

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Interesting.
    What OS are you on?

4. Berek

Berek Newbie

Sorry... missing lots of info. Windows 10. An additional note: when switching between an instrument with a GUI (eg. VG-Iron or Superior Drummer) and a loaded Kontakt instrument, even with the instrument loaded (and, I'm assuming, the library populated) the whole DAW pauses and locks up for about 60 seconds before the tab switches over to the blank one. It's trying to do something behind the scenes, but can't seem to effect the result.

I've also tried reinstalling Kontakt 6, running the DAW without Internet access, tried all of the "delete all options except the license and Extensions folder and redo your Studio One options" stuff and others... no joy yet. I'm'a stumped. And getting pretty darned antsy about this. lol

5. Smoove Grooves

I'd think this a prerequisite in regards safety. But maybe you are using legit softwares? I don't know.
    I'm just bumping this so that hopefully someone will chime in. I'm mostly macOS.
    Why do you need Kontakt 5 if you are on Windows? Just for project compatibility? You guys have an Add Library app included with certain releases.
    Whilst on macOS we have to use 5 to load libs so they show up in 6, since the Add Library button went from Kontakt.

6. HorusAnd

HorusAnd Member

My recommendation would be upgrading to Studio One 4 from the sister website and seeing if that helps. All your settings should migrate without problem.

7. Smoove Grooves

I'll say it now: "Done!"
    Check your PMs.
    But considering:
    ...I'm not sure if just updating your daw is the answer just yet!
    Can you start with a fresh install?

8. Rorer

Rorer Guest

The Golden rule for ANY DAW (IMHO) should not be directly be connected to the internet.
    When you haven no internet on your DAW you don't need a virus scanner.
    Try to run your program as Administrator.

9. Berek

Berek Newbie

In order of appearance:
    - nope Grooves, software isn't legitimate. I've got the SO registration website blocked again in my hosts file, as it's been for several years now. No changes there. Question: is there a NI reg site I should be blocking as well? I can't recall if I had one in my hosts before it got turfed.
    - Kontakt 5 is just because of older templates I work off of, pre version 6 days; just easier than switching over. I only use 6 for new projects.
    - Already did a fresh install of Kontakt, Horus. A fresh install of Studio One is (shudder) next. [Note to self: copy over the X-bar, you forgetful idiot!]
    - tried running as Admin, Rorer. Same blank instrument tab.

Just another note: NI Guitar Rig, Replika XT, Supercharger all work fine in the DAW, and show GUI... so it seems the problem is with Kontakt only, not NI software in general.
    Well, it looks like a fresh install of SO, and then an upgrade if that doesn't work. Any other suggestions welcome in the meantime.
    I'm gonna go watch some Big Bang Theory. My head hurts. :suicide: :)

10. Smoove Grooves

@segglyuk Hi.
    As per the site rules, please state your reason for the negative rating on @Berek's post.
    Why do you say it was Nasty?
    I also see you had a warning point once, too.
    Many thanks.

11. Berek

Berek Newbie

Well, Kontakt in Studio One 4 works properly. Now that I've got a working DAW again, I'm going to play around with the settings files, options, XML files etc. to see what's so screwed up in SO 3. Can't break what's already broken, right? Thanks for all of the suggestions and hints. If you don't hear from me in this thread, I've not found the culprit to this gremlin yet. Here's hoping. Thanks again!

12. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

install Visual Studio also see if update for graphic card then should be normal again Good luck

13. Berek

Berek Newbie

Just a warning for everyone: I've discovered the culprit behind the host file hijack in the first place: Microsoft.

www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-hosts-file-blocking-telemetry-is-now-flagged-as-a-risk/

"So it seems that Microsoft had recently updated their Microsoft Defender definitions to detect when their [telemetry] servers were added to the HOSTS file. [...] If you decide to clean this threat, Microsoft will restore the HOSTS file back to its default contents."

Thanks a lot, you... well, language, y'know.

14. Berek

Berek Newbie

Well, I figured it out... and it makes no sense whatsoever, but I thought I'd share.

Studio One 4: Kontakt works all of the time, regardless of other conditions on the PC.

Studio One 3: Kontakt only works if NordVPN is turned off.

If anyone has an explanation for this, I'd be interested. This wasn't the case previously: I ran the VPN at all times. Glitch? Yes. Reasoning? Your guess is (by default) better than mine.

Discuss. :dunno:

15. HorusAnd

HorusAnd Member

Just realized I've run into something similar on two separate occasions. Sort of just throwing this out there as it may spark an "aha" moment

I'm not sure why that is but I have a similar issue with MeldaProduction. V13 works great in SO4 but in SO5 the GUI disappears and will only work with upgrading to V14 which shouldn't be a thing, at all.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with host file entries. On Mac for instance, Loopback uses proxy entries in the host file to create a virtual interface to re-route audio.

I'm guessing Nord may be doing something similar that is messing with how SO3 routes data which is appearing as a bug with Kontakt's GUI.

My guess would be something having to do with Studio One and the implementation of the companion remote app but Studio One also wont scan your plugins if certain ports are blocked on your computer. Which makes me positive that there is some sort of interaction with your network card and Studio One regardless of its connection to the internet.

16. Smoove Grooves

17. Smoove Grooves

When you said "trojan", and I said "fresh install", I meant of your whole OS.
    But if:
    then obviously not necessary.