Kontakt 5.4.1 Doesn't work in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by jayhind, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Hi!

Has anyone tried Kontakt 5.4.1 in Windows XP 32bit? The previous version worked fine but this new one apparently calls for a function that is available in Win7/8 only. This is the error I get when I scan the plugin in Reaper:

"The procedure entry point K32GetModuleBaseNameA could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll"

Running the standalone version says "not a valid Win32 file".

Hence my question, is anyone else been able to run this in XP?

Thanks.

3. moocha

moocha Newbie

Of course you probably already know about this?:
    http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/11690-how-to-make-native-instruments-work-in-win-xp-instructions/

4. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

i have heard its working on windows 95 or windows 98

5. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

John..the discribed method only is valid up to version 5.3.1.. Threadkiller is right. 5.4.1 doesnt work on XP...even with the work around me and Sardoumichel found. Me and Tracer we are currently trying to find a solution for the 5.4.1 version...But Tracer actually has some internet problems..so it can take a while. Sorry for that. When we succeed me or Tracer will make a post at Audioz.

6. moocha

moocha Newbie

Gotcha

7. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

nice ;)

8. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

It's not working on Macs running anything earlier than Mountain Lion, either. Ordinarily, I wouldn't care, since whoever patched 5.3.1 did a superb job of making it run on Snow Leopard (which is what I run), but I'm pretty sure it's going to be an issue for future libraries and updates that will only run on 5.4 and up. As it is, I've been hearing lots of bad things across the board about 5.4 from pretty much everyone who updated.

9. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I remember 5.4.1 requiring VC 2012, but then I saw it's also for XP, so that's apparently not the culprit. Will look into it :wink:

EDIT: True, 5.4.1 doesn't work on XP. But that's not really bad news. 5.4.1 has many flaws, so I doubt devs will use it for instrument creation. Kontakt 6 might be problematic though. It's more than evident this step was deliberate to cut off WinXP - 5.4.1 otherwise adds nothing except snapshots, which are useless and requires VC 2012.

REAL improvements (in case there are some NI beta testers) would include:
    - native Linux support (!)
    - GPU assisted / GPU exclusive audio processing - CUDA utilization (!)
    - Memory server for x86 Windows
    - New updated DFD to utilize SSD fast access - double buffer with 3-12kB size (!)
    - option to stream samples directly without loading in RAM (SSD RAID-0 optimized)
    - reduce CPU utilization through global FX-off button
    - compact mode - reduce RAM footprint through simple UI
    - Save As NKI/NKM include compatibility mode - save as Kontakt 5, 4, 3.5 NKI/NKM

:mates:

Native Linux support - No comment! It should have been there already
    GPU assisted / GPU exclusive audio processing - This'll be real improvement in crowded projects - GPUs are much better suited for handling multiple (audio) streams than CPU. The difference will be night/day, my estimation is 10 to 200 times more performance. Also GPUs are much more affordable and often unused in audio processing. Plus almost ANY system can be upgraded with new GPU (CPU upgrade requires new MB in 95% cases), even 6 years old MBs and laptops.

10. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Heres a thread at their forums, so issue is pointed to them, and how to fix is even linked for them. We see if they care about users a little.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/problem-with-maschine-update-to-version-2-1-x.224567/

Funny that the more "new" features they use from new OS, the more problems users report.

11. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

That's why a lot of ppl (like me) doing audio only don't really want those new OS features :wink:
    Devs are tempted to use them, OS is unstable AND/OR their own code is flawed : big mess

We came to a point where there are so much layers of complexity it is almost inhuman to debug this crap.

12. mono

mono Audiosexual

hi just seen this post am having the same error :dunno:

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/11690-how-to-make-native-instruments-work-in-win-xp-instructions/page__gopid__102821#entry102821

i was hoping installing /copy 4.1 would fix the error on 4.2,for xp vista,
    looks like i have to read all the other posted frist,

by the looks of it they could of put the same sort of code thats in the installer
    into Kontakt to stop us from updating it the way we where,dont have a clue at the moment :wow: