Kontakt 5.0.3 and sc3.tmp file.

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Diabulus in Musica, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Diabulus in Musica

Diabulus in Musica Platinum Record

So...everytime I add a converted library for Kontakt 5 in Kontakt 5.0.3 by R2R a sc3.tmp file pop up on my desktop. Why? What it means? For example few hours ago I've added V-Metal in Kontankt 5.0.3, after closed the sc3.tmp file was there on the desktop...:dunno:

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Diabulus in Musica,

I have no idea ! :dunno:

I use also the 'Kontakt 5' v5.0.3, but the 'AnonyBot' version (available earlier than this 'R2R' version), and I never noticed this 'sc3.tmp'. Maybe it also creates this file but not in the Desktop, otherwise I would have noticed it !
    In case that the 'AnonyBot' version also creates this file (or similar), it will rather be placed in :

C:\Documents and Settings\User <-- You !\Local Settings\Application Data\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\Temporary Conversions or KConvert Temp
    then within 'KConvert Logs', you find the results of your conversions (that you can open as a single '.txt' file simply by double-clicking on them)

I'll check this fact (creation of a 'sc3.tmp' file) the next time that I'll convert a Library within it. *yes*

By cons and for sure, the suffix '.tmp' stands for 'temporary' file, thus maybe it can be deleted afterwards without any particular trouble, as long that you noticed that your Library was perfectly converted, of course !

You could perhaps find extended info about this file within the 'Native Instruments' or 'Kontakt' User Forums.

The 'sc3' could perhaps means 'Sample Converted (or Conversion) 3', but I'm absolutely not sure of that ! *no*

Good Luck ! :wink:

4. Diabulus in Musica

Diabulus in Musica Platinum Record

Thanks for your answer Studio 555! :mates:

5. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

It is supposed to be an .xml file with that same info in a different place with all the others. What happens is now the library will have to be added each time you start Kontakt. Not sure how to fix this.

6. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

it's a kind of a log files , the .tmp extension stands for 'temporary', read it is you want and delete it ( or make a back up if in doudt )

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I remember one thread about a year ago where a very sharp user figured out what was this sc3.tmp file. I don't remember right now.

I think it's a XML file directly related to the .nicnt file, and I think it happens when you add a library using "non official" tools like nicnt generators etc.

Have you tried to open it in a text editor like notepad?

8. beatroot

beatroot Producer

I found this...maybe it will help
    tmp files are automatically created when you run applications and in your case I think you are saving documents and files to your desktop. You should not worry about the tmp files being created, you just need to specify to the pc that you do not want to see them - whether they are there or not. These files are needed for the applications to run properly and should not be deleted unless you know what you are deleting.

Here's how to not see them:
    1. Right-click My Documents and choose Explorer.
    2. At the Menu bar, go to Tools then Folder Options
    3. Choose the View tab and select :"Do not show hidden files and folders" and "Hide protected operating system files"
    4. Apply and Ok to exit.

9. dorian

dorian Ultrasonic

I believe you have to rename this file as "library's_name.xml"
    Open the .tmp file with a notepad and you 'll see a bunch of lines like this:
    <Name>Accordions</Name>
    <Company>best Service</Company>
    <AuthSystem>RAS2</AuthSystem>
    <SNPID>824</SNPID>
    <Icon>bestservice</Icon>
    <RegKey>Accordions</RegKey>
    </Product>
    </ProductHints>

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. oisinn

oisinn Ultrasonic

Not so lads. I am actually on Kontakt v5.5.0.409 and every library I install gives me the sc3.tmp on the desktop. I just delete it. Never any need to reinstall the library:like:

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This is it :) . The path you mention is important when messing with Kontakt libraries.

True, it happened to myself before and I just deleted it. But it's always good know what a strange file is.

12. dorian

dorian Ultrasonic

Well, I never had to reinstall any library either, but it seems that it happens to some of us :yes:

13. user141

user141 Newbie

.tmp files are normally created when saving files or folders to desktop.
    For example batch convert resave saves files to desktop then file is created.
    Normally they are hidden.
    Try changing "Do not show hidden files and folders" if u have it enabled & see if it still happens or just delete them they just a record

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You are right, but in this case this file should be removed after Kontakt finishes whatever it does. It's the only program that has left unwanted files in my Desktop folder since long ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. user141

user141 Newbie

Not sure maybe you have to clear the temporary folders manually i.e use ccleaner or something enable clear temporay files & folders clean & see if it does the job. Can also clear the log ect :dunno:

After a bit more looking think it is just a temporary copy of the information that is contained within the database i.e u save folder to desktop so sc3.TMP file is created containing information contained within kontakkts database which created when u add the library.

Normally they hidden and shouldn't in general be deleted.

However in this scenario as you are going to re-add a converted copy the folder to the database it doesn't really matter as new info created so they can be deleted.

Don't quote me thou as not 100 percent :rofl:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Perhaps we are getting too technical but as a geek I find interesting the conversation. I think we can consider unwanted this file because it's not located in the temp folder, it has no use and it's not deleted after the process is finished. Anyway, it pops out in the desktop so it's hard to ignore.

I don't remember when it happens but I think it's when you add a library to Kontakt using a "non legit" tool. Like nicnt generators, the Kontakt tool etc. At least it's my best bet, since I don't remember legit Kontakt/librares with this issue.

17. iphobbes

iphobbes Ultrasonic

Hi this is quite an old thread but i thought i'll add what i know about this.
    usually when you try to add any 3rd party library or your new .nicnt, say with Kontakt 5.60 or 5.6.6 then sc3.temp is pushed to your Desktop.

sc3.temp is related to NI > Service Center folder hence 'sc'.
    If you look inside any .xml file it'll have the same content as sc3.temp of your latest addition to kontakt.

it's just that you as a user don't have the rights\permission to add the newly made .xml to Service Center Folder.

On a mac all you have to do is change Service Center folder permissions and add yourself as read and write owner.

on my mac i changed it mac HD>Library>Application Support>Native Instruments>service center

Then sc3.temp is never created on desktop

hope it helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Derr

Derr Newbie

I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY LIFE, YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT :disco:
    The funny thing is that out of a hundred Libraries only the Factory gave me this problem. Changed the folder Permission, added again and Voila. THANKS SO MUCH!