Komplete Kontroller (s61) no longer found

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Graf, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

widows 10/64 (modern machine) after an issue with BSE, where in the midi set up widown i tapped the reset all button, none of my hardware would show up in any DAW, or KK in its standalone. thats because the devices were no longer on my computer.
    In the OS devices and sound they were no longer present. nor in the OS drivers and controllers screne

offline only, no internet

i have managed to get the Akai reinstalled and recognized, a drum module controller ok, as well an older rig 2 pedal board (hey, i like it). but the komplete kontrol s61 refuses to show up.
    previously i was able to run R2R KK 2.6.4 and Bobdule Kontakt 6.6.1 before with no issues.
    so far i have tried different combinations of deep cleaning and reinstall, with and without NA versions, going back as far as R2R KK 1.1.0 and R2R 1.6.0.
    firmware updater only works with the NA version but when doing so it says the firmware is up to date.

it has been suggested that i connect to the internet and update my OS, but thats not an option. im running a virgin builders OS W10 that i still have the load disc for. and seeing that KK 2.6.4 and kontakt 6.6.1 as well as everything else ran just fine, i dont see how the internet will fix or is related at all.

any insight or ideas are welcome, thanks for looking. without a controller, the system is a mouse clicky now.

and no, i dont need a latest version of the software. just for the DAW's to see the hardware again

graf

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

" Remove and Reinstall" instructions have little to do with you needing to be running "latest version". It is because the software you have installed has become corrupted/damaged/mis-installed/etc, and wiping it is the easiest way to get rid of any of those variables.

4. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

hey there clone, yes i've been trying that. as well as cleaning registry.
    its like its remembering an old path and fixing the software doesnt to it

5. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

it may come to wiping the OS, in which case i have the load disc to do that.
    the builder sent it to me when the original C drive malfunctioned. fortunately for me the key is hardcoded into the mobo so wiping OS or even installing a new C didnt affect the key

6. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

@clone if theres a method to removing and reinstalling that i've missed, i'll gladly give it a whack

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

well I am not saying it has to do with your Operating System, at all. I would not, because I only use Mac for music :) I very much doubt it has to do with Windows specifically, more like some Dynamic Linking Library files. ocx's, whatever lower level components...

Reinstalling the NI software would be your first Major step. But don't rush to that either. It is just sometimes your best option, especially when diagnosing it. It can save a lot of time, in the long run.

My post is just about you not wanting to R&R anything. You may have to reinstall software, drivers, etc to get everything back to working.

The first thing I would do with the S61 is try another USB cable and a power cycle. Then start looking into the USB bus devices in Windows. Try connecting another less complex device to the USB bus. A flash drive, etc... I would also go take a look around in your BIOS settings for anything obviously wrong. Keep in mind, you can flash BIOS without affecting the content of your HD. I am not sure if that option is available to you with your setup though.

Another thing, I always use my S49 powered via USB; since it is connected that way also. Have you tried using the external power supply with the S61 and then connecting it? USB devices that are also bus powered can do some silly stuff.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  8. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

right on point! yeah thats what i think im looking for, some lower level corruption or dynamic linky kind of thing :mates:
    i caught your edit, yes i'll try looking USB bus and those devices. as well as cables, swap Peter for Paul and such.
    and yes i am using the external power cable, the keyboard will light up, and speakers say 'ding dong' when i turn it on/off. the keyboard even reflects whats displayed on the standalone software. its just that nothing see's the keyboard.
    wouldnt it be funny if it was the port lol

9. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

on a positive note :drummer: i have been re-acquainting myself with the non computer instruments lol :yes:

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

When you run Komplete Kontrol standalone, what is listed in preferences under the Midi input/output tabs? I'd have the Midi cables out before any of that surrender stuff.

11. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

ok, i think i got it..

the issue windows was having was with KK's drivers IAD and DFU (in devices) it said fault code 38, that it couldnt load the driver because a previous version was found in memory.

exactly what i suspected.

so i ran the windows diagnostic, until it said it had applied changes and required a restart to apply the changes. this was a bit tricky here as several programs are open, and in my case being dual boot needed some extra timing to reboot into that OS.

so i got this reboot to happen from that point. which is different than a shutdown and boot. or closing things first.

I now have KK showing up in the midi list, and things make sound when i press the keys again. still need to confirm it sticks and still works after a fresh boot etc.
    wow, what an ordeal, be prepared if you tap the reset all in BSE midi screen. maybe it won't happen to you

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List