komplete kontrol S61 in ableton

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Graf, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

hey guys, looking for help getting the komplete kontrol vst.adg to work in ableton. or to just have this things abilities inside any of my daw.

im seriously loving this new keyboard. the things it will do in standalone mode are a game changer. and the keybed is the best I've ever felt (just me) but when I load the instrument rack, it seems to load fine, but none of the features. its just in general midi mode. I've set up the remote script and instrument rack as instructed. and set up controller options, but two weird things here I don't see the KKvst option like it says in the tracks midi drop down and it doesn't automatically set up a ccNIKB00 like it says its supposed to either. anyway, windows 7 32 here. what am I doing wrong?

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I think you need to press Shift + Instance to get out of MIDI mode and back into Kontrol mode.

4. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

heeeeyyy pinkman :shalom:I thought about you, I almost just messaged you about it.

well I tried that just now and no improvement. some changes however, im convinced I am just configured wrong. when I try shift + instance nothing happens. I tried it under a few different scenarios like, in preferences midi/link i am trying different sink and remote combos (below). instructions don't say anything about those below. i have komplete kontrol DAW selected in the in and out above like the instructions say.

heres a couple things different though, i can now select komplete kontrol vst from the channel midi drop down. but not on the channel i have the adg. instrument rack on. i have to select vst on a different midi track (weird)
    and previously the 'D' key two octaves to the right of center used to toggle on lives loops play icon on the top strip. it doesn't anymore. hardware conflict. so it may be related to hardware..

any next ideas i can try? my ideas keep going in the same circle

5. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

if your still thinking its the shift + instance thing, can you type a little more like do it after or before i load an instrument rack.. (i already tried several combos of that stuff btw) maybe im doing it wrong

6. Watskinz

Watskinz Newbie

Hey Graf have you installed the remote scripts?
    If so load up for the instruments/user tab and all should work fine

7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I assumed you had installed the remote MIDI scripts but if you haven't that part is key. You have to restart Live after pasting them in for them to show up. Hold Shift + Instance then use the browser knob to switch out of MIDI mode to the Native Kontrol mode. You can do this anytime after Live has launched and the KK VST has loaded.

Using S series keyboards or Maschine inside a DAW works two ways. You can use the VST in native Kontrol mode and get almost all the functionality of standalone (arp, chords, scales, etc) but you lose the ability to control host parameters outside the VST plugin like Live's sends, volume, track selection, solo/mute etc.
    Or you can use the keyboard as a general MIDI device and with the Live template provided it lets you control pretty much everything inside the DAW but it acts like any generic MIDI keyboard and you lose the Komplete Kontrol implementations.

If you want to use the S61 like you do in stand alone mode there should be other options in Live's MIDI inputs. One of them should say something like Komplete Keyboard S1. Use that instead of Komplete Kontrol DAW-1.

If you enable both of them you should be able to switch between standalone style control (Native Kontrol) and DAW control (general MIDI) using the Shift+Instance and turning the browser knob.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

thank you for such good description pinkman, let me go try exactly that way. yep I copied the remite midi folder exactly as instructed. two ways actually the first time it merged new with old pythons. then I redid it with removing the previous pys. files (I think, I may have that backwards)

9. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

i got it! figured it out pinkman it wasn't any of this. the KKvst hadn't scanned properly.
    I thought of it when I was reading someone elses AS thread about rescanning in ableton, soooo I tried what he recommended

deleted KKvst
    rescanned in ableton
    restored KKvst from trash
    rescanned in ableton

problem solved :wink: we might even label this one solved if mods deem it so. thanks again pinkman, you rock. and thank you watskinz, big help