Kompakt/Intakt/Older Beat Machine Libraries In Kontakt 5

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Iggy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I believe we've discussed this at length on other Kontakt threads on this sub-forum, but I've recently been reinstalling some of my old libraries and have come across the same old problems, so I figured I'd revive it in a new thread with a few new insights and see what everybody else -- particularly those with extensive Kontakt experience -- thought about it.

I recently upgraded to a new hard drive and built my Mac OS from scratch. On my old hard drive, I'd been using Snow Leopard, since I have a 2008 MacBook, and upgraded to Lion so I could use a few things I couldn't use with Snow Leopard. I installed Kontakt 5.3 64-bit and just dragged over my Kontakt library from my old hard drive to the appropriate folder on the new one. Right away, I noticed a couple of problems:

- my Zero-G Sounds of the 70s library showed up, but when I attempted to load an instrument, I got a prompt that claimed I needed to re-install the Intakt instrument from the installer. Since Sounds of the 70s is a PowerPC instrument, and since Rosetta isn't a thing anymore as of Lion, I couldn't even run the installer. Fortunately, a little digging around on this forum and in general came up with a workaround: just drag the library from the install disc to my Kontakt library, rebuild my Kontakt database from scratch and try adding the library that way. It worked. I should also mention That I'd had the library since Kontakt 3.5 and always performed a batch resave when upgrading to a new version of Kontakt. And until I upgraded my hard drive, I've always had Kontakt 4 and 5 residing together -- if 5 couldn't open something, 4 was always able to. When I upgraded to Lion, I elected not to install 4.

- my Big Fish Audio Epic Drums (1) library, which never technically showed up in any version of Kontakt (no library files), was still able to load from the Load menu … but only as Time Machine patches. The entire contents of the Beat Machine folder was grayed out. It also wouldn't allow me to batch resave the Beat Machine versions. Again, I threw out the library, reloaded it into my Kontakt 5 collection from installer disc, and everything was fine (except for the problem I'm about to discuss below).

- my Bela D Media Diva Revamp library is also experiencing the same issues, and I'm willing to bet it will be a simple matter of trashing the current version and reinstalling it from the installer disc, then rebuilding my database. However, unlike the other two libraries, I'm still able to load the whole library and use it without any problem whatsoever … I just can't resave patches. Not a deal breaker, but I'd like to fix it if I can.

I mention the above issues only as background on my current dilemma and because it might help someone else who is having similar issues with migration to Kontakt 5. The problem I'm actually writing about seems to do with Beat Machine, and it's not actually contiguous to Kontakt 5. I've had issues with Sounds of the 70s since first attempting to use the library with Kontakt 3.5. I'm having issues with Epic Drums (I keep making a point of saying "1", because I also have Epic Drums II, which was made in a later version of Kontakt and works flawlessly in 5.3, but they're completely different animals). The Time Machine versions don't sound very good, very phasey and flammy, which I think has always been the case, but the Beat Machine versions, which I seem to recall sounding decent and being the versions I've always used, now barely function in 5.

I bemoaned in another thread about Sounds of the 70s not having the Intakt instrument's GUI when loading, but that's not the problem. The problem is that each main patch in Sounds of the 70s mixes both Time Machine and Beat Machine loops. The Time Machine loops sound fine. The Beat Machine loops are reduced to one slice. The sub-patches work the same way. The Time Machine sub-patches perform exactly as they did in the Intakt instrument. The Beat Machine sub-patches, which I presume include one "demo" sample (not loop) that also sounds fine, and a Beat Machine loop that is now somehow mapped across the keyboard -- one slice per key, do not. Unfortunately, this means that the Beat Machine loops (mainly drums and basses) are unplayable. I've looked everywhere and have not encountered anyone else having this problem, which leads me to think it's user-side error and not an issue with Kontakt. I also have plenty of other loop-based libraries, like anything by Heavyocity, Big Fish Audio's Goth, Zero-G's Classic Disco, some of the Symphobia patches, SampleLogic's Arpology, even Epic Drums II, that seem to work without any problem whatsoever. I'm not sure if they're Beat Machine or Time Machine based, but they all sound great and have never given me any trouble, even when I ported them to a new machine.

So … what am I doing wrong? Is there an issue with older libraries using Beat Machine that can be resolved in Kontakt 5?

3. mapjay

mapjay Member

in order to use older kontakt v2, v3, v4 and earlier v5 libraries in Mac so they don't go into demo mode, you will need to use k'd kontakt v5.4.1, which you should be able to find here. Remove all previous kontakt pieces (including both .plist files, documents > ni kontakt 5 folder, application > ni > kontakt 5 folder, application support > ni > kontakt 5 folder, users/user name/application support/ni/kontakt 5 folder, etc), empty trash, restart, empty trash then install v5.4.1 and replace installed app/au/vst files with patched ones. enjoy

4. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Sorry I wasn't clear in my previous post! I can load these patches just fine and play them … unless they're Beat Machine patches/loops. They load (and not in demo mode), but something's horribly wrong with the key mapping. In my Sounds of the 70s library, Time Machine loops load and play just fine -- the Beat Machine loops either load the first slice (if it's a patch where both Time Machine and Beat Machine loops are loaded together) or load each slice of a Beat Machine loop across a series of keys, one per slice, if it's just a solitary Beat Machine patch. Somewhere, something is not being interpreted properly by Kontakt's Beat Machine feature, but this has been a problem I've had with this library since Kontakt 3.5. I actually performed a fresh install of the library and it's no different than it has been in the past. Epic Drums 1 only started behaving oddly with Kontakt 5, and this was after I performed a fresh install of the library. Same deal, however: the Time Machine library, which never sounded all that great, loads and performs the same as it always has. The Beat Machine versions of the same patches, which usually sounded a great deal better, suddenly sound random and choppy. I haven't had any other problems playing older libraries in Kontakt 5, and like I said, the Time Machine versions of these two libraries seem to perform fine. It just appears to be some sort of glitch with importing(?) Beat Machine loops from these two older libraries.