Know how to scratch-make a VSTi? Have a passion for chip sounds?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dashfiss, Apr 4, 2017.

1. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

I have a new concept in mind for a SID (chip) VSTi that will probably be the only one you'll ever need.

However I can't make it myself. The concept is simple enough, using an already-existing synth engine (resid). Because of this, I don't see that the amount of work will be huge, and features can be added as one goes, but we're not talking "full analog synth interface" with lfos and filters, no, not at all.

I realise that the criteria will probably leave very few people left, like, planet-wise, but maybe you know someone? In any case, I'll leave the post here and maybe someone will google this in some years and get back to me :p

Thanks for any help, though.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

there are already dozens of ChipMusic VSTs, mostly made with SynthEdit or SynthMaker, unfortunately mostly 32bit only, some are even emulating a whole 8-bit machine and not just the sound chip.
    i dont think there's anything missing from Chip sound and emulations at this point.

4. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

5. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

I have all of those and more -- and I won't need a single one of them once this concept is realised -- trust me ;)

The problem with recreating SID sounds is that using one of these VSTs, even quadrasid and sidizer which are commercial products, is that it's still very hard to create something that sounds like an authentic SID sound. Hell, even the presets don't sound like a SID at all. Why is this?? Because the sound of your typical SID song was programmed/coded, and not made with your traditional synth interface, like the one in Sidizer or Sylenth1, for instance.

I don't want to give away the concept until the right person comes along, and it might sound too good to be true, but the only amazing thing here is that nobody has done this before.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  6. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

then maybe you better make a Sampler for Kontakt with sampled Chip sounds.
    Kontakt is not just a sampler, it can do almost everything a proper synth can do, with the added bonus of being multiplatform.
    this way all the sounds will be 100% identical to the original.

QuadraSID also came in hardware form with real SID chips inside, of course the software version is an emulation and can't be as good as the original.
    yes, many SID songs were coded in assembly, hard to replicate the exact sound, actually i still haven't seen a decent Amiga emulation (AHX and TFMX for instance) for VST.
    somethinig could be done with ModPlugTracker to link it with MIDI to a DAW or whatever, i dont remember ... even if it works i dont see the point in 2017 ..

7. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

sure but ... ideas are dime a dozen, execution is king.

if you can't code try with SynthEdit 1.2.xx, the latest alpha is compiling VST3 for x64 but only for Win at the moment.
    that's your only chance i guess as to make a Kontakt library it requires a lot of scripting and coding to pack all the features.
    SynthMaker was great but now it's dead and it only compiles for Win x32.
    nothing else in the market for "drag & drop" tools as far as i know.