Knob Control on Space Delay

Discussion in 'Software' started by railkiller2376, Aug 8, 2023.

1. railkiller2376

railkiller2376 Ultrasonic

Sorry Guys,

I am still in trouble with the decision about what kind of Space Echo VST to purchase.
    So far I tried Audiothing Outer Space, actually I like it but I am not able to control the knobs via automation in Cubase 12. Perhaps it works and I havent found out how it works but it interrupts my workflow.
    ...I know; Try Before Buy, what would be the best, but my time is limited and I hope that there is anyone who can tell me if it is easy to control and record the knob changes in:
    IK Multimedia Space Echo (they have this interesting sale right now)
    or
    Arturia Tape 201 (also on sale at PluginBoutique)
    or
    UAD Space Echo
    Thank you very much!

3. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I think Arturia's and IK are pretty close in terms of ease of automation. Timings work a bit different once you get stereo though. IK allows you to pan each head but the timings between heads are in a non-standard (for lack of a beter word) relationship. You can't pan each head on Arturia's, but you can easily find a way around it with the controls it has, and it also allows you to do more overall. Tonally they are very different though.

This one is a big no-no if you're planning on doing anything stereo. Aside from that, it's nothing special imo.

4. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Touch mode didn't work ? Set automation on the plugin to Touch mode, play the track, move the knob you want to automate a bit, it will create an automation lane. stop the track, manually edit the automation. That should work on any DAW ever. Have you tried that ?

5. railkiller2376

...thank you for the information. For me it is important to move the knobs with the mouse or a midi controller and get the automation shown instantly in my DAW (Cubase). I was desperately missing that with Outer Space.

6. railkiller2376

Honestly said, no. Where can I find the "Touch Mode"? Sorry for my lack of information and thank you.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Touch automation mode writes while you have "touch" control of the parameter you want to automate. It doesn't continue to write automation data after that. This is what you want to do particularly when there is automation after your edit point, which you do not want it to overwrite.

Latch automation mode also begins writing when you take control of the parameter, but then it stays in this mode until playback is stopped (and then you turn it off.) This is what you want to do when you want to automate multiple parameters, because it will also quickly create an "automation lane" for any other parameters you may modify/automate during the same "playback take". The drawback to Latch mode is that when you have automation after the portion you want to automate; it will overwrite it until the end of the track; with the last Parameter Value that you created. It flatlines that value until the end of your project. In Cubase they call this "Auto-Latch" mode, it's the same thing.

These two modes of automation are what you want @OP. But they are seemingly small differences, when it actually is really a very big difference.

It's per channel and by default should say Read, until you change it.

This may help: https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_a...automation/automation_automation_modes_c.html

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  8. railkiller2376

Thank you Clone, the link was helpful. There are some Plugins I own which do the automation automatically when I move the knobs while recording the track and afterwards make an automation track in Cubase as well. That was what confused me.