KLU (Kontakt Library Utility)

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Fred Bloggs, Dec 19, 2022.

1. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I wanted to test this app to help, on El Capitan. First I clicked on the file without doing the right-click and Open method. In this case, obviously, it alerts me that the software is not verified and can't be open.
    So, what happened was, it started to check Kontakt Libraries first and then showed the alert that I can't open the app. This is odd!
    Next, I did the right-click and Open method. I don't remember if it started searching Kontakt Libraries again. But then it crashed somehow. Once I was able to open the app without crashing and had the menu items available (not grayed out) but then I chose re-scan libraries and since then it stuck. Whenever I open the app, its menu items are grayed out. Or it simply crashes at start.

2. Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs Platinum Record

@jazzzz Thanks for the feedback. That is actually very helful, as it points directly to the library scan and this in itself probably corrupts the prefs file. It does at last give me a direction in which to search. Also, I have just installed a High Sierra after @clone reported his problems (and others), with this operating system and, just before writing these lines, I launched KLU on the new "clean" system. Sure enough, it crashed, so I now have two leads :wink:. I'll keep at it as much as time allows… :yes:.

3. Crackman

Crackman Newbie

Hi everyone !

I fixed in Kontakt a folder on my desktop and put the clean plist but there's the same error...

I think that's what you mean when you say that we have to put the plist on our user preferences file...

I hope that you'll find out an issue !

thanks a lot !

4. Fred Bloggs

The User preferences file is in your user folder library. In your Finder/GoTo menu look for library. If you dont see it, press the "alt" key and it should appear. You have a "Preferences" folder in there - that's where the .plist goes :wink:

5. Fred Bloggs

OK People. I need your feedback here please…
    After various comments above about running KLU on High Sierra and El Capitan, I set up a virtual High Sierra and ran KLU 1.0.4 on it and, sure enough, it crashed with an "Out of bounds" error. Hurray ! I got it to crash !
    I loaded my programming environment onto the virtual High Sierra and recompiled it with absolutely NO MODIFICATIONS (!) and launched this newly compiled version on HS and this new version ran just fine without crashing. I re-launched the original 1.0.4 and it crashed like before. I don't know what's going on here :no:.
    I tried the newly compiled version (1.0.4.1) on OS Ventura and it runs just fine as well.
    I can only conclude, that somehow the compilation on Ventura introduces some sort of bug that crashes it at least on High Sierra. I don't have an El Capitan to hand to try on that for the moment. I'll try yo find one.
    In the meantime, I've replaced 1.0.4 on the first page; with 1.0.4.1. It's exactly the same as 1.0.4, but recompiled on High Sierra. It works fine for me but I would very much appreciate your feedback to know how to proceed in the future.
    Thanks to all of you for using my app and for your helpful comments :mates:

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

El Capitan here. Apparently it did not crash at launch this time but the program does not respond to any request. Nothing is greyed out. And this time the menu is in English and not in French like the previous release. After many attempts it crashed once.
    Though I didn't change anything related to plists.

7. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I'm just thinking. Are you using multiple monitors? It's because this time as it doesn't grey out anything, and it looks like it captures the requests, if I press any shortkey like Command-R, it flashes the File menu. But there is no window appearing.
    I use an external monitor with my MBP, so it has 2 screens but the external is set as the main screen. I can't see any window opening on any screen.
    The program only responds in menu when choosing Quit.

Edit:
    And after another attempt running the program, it crashes again and the menus are greyed out again.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

From what I have read about it on StackOverflow etc, websites; it could be an issue with some bad code shipped in XCode9, which was resolved in Mojave. But this is just old user comments on forums, so a grain of salt might apply there.

I am using a single monitor on a 2010 Cheesegrater Mac Pro. The app crashes immediately in Xcode9/HS, so I do not think it has to do with unique configurations. There are too many users reporting the same error for that, imho. Please note, I am just testing and I do not have expectations about anything where a 13 year old Mac is concerned. Apple do not generally leave things like this unfixed, though. :)

9. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

It's possible that we must accept the minimum OS requirement which older macs can't fit in. However I can run Monterey via OCLP but it brings other issues.

10. Crackman

Crackman Newbie

hey !

I've tried to launch the new version and it works ! But now I don't know how to proceed when it's about add a library...

Also, I have the same out of bounds error when I update libraries...

Finally, I've this big problem : after installed my Noire, Kontakt doesn't know where the folder are located, and also, I installed my library factory 2 via KLU (I've already downloaded it, I just wanted to know if it would be the same with it, freaking curiosity...:facepalm:)

anyways ! Any suggestion for this problem ?

(Thank you for your update, it works really well now, just have some new problems but everything seems to be clean !)

11. Fred Bloggs

Try reading the documentation :wink: The out of bounds error on library update, I don't know ! I don't get that error, so I would need to see you system logs.
    I'm not sure I understand the last part of your question. If you're talking about K7s new secondary browser, I don't know much about it ! I have Noire, it should appear, but it doesn't. I don't know why. Perhaps others have an idea.

12. Crackman

Crackman Newbie

Hey ! For the final question, it was because Kontakt I saying to me « library not found. Click manage libraries to set the content via native access » even if I putted the pathway of where the files of the library were…

also, my noire is still in demo version, and kontakt keeps saying to me that my kontakt factory 2 isn’t installed, while I’ve just downloaded the library on KLU…:dunno:

13. Fred Bloggs

I have Noire. I just uninstalled it with KLU and opened K7 to confirm that it was no longer there… it wasn't. I re-installed it with KLU and re-launched K7 and it was back, no problem. It works and is not in demo mode. I don't know what your problem is. Maybe your Noire library is corrupt. Maybe you have old installation files in your preferencer or your Service Center folders. Maybe you have another library with the same SNPID number. In rare circumstances, if you ha a library with for example an SNPID number of K12 and another with K120, only the second library will appear, even though technically they are both installed. There are many reasons a library may not appear. KLU can assist in finding problems, but there's only so much it can do ! You often have to do a bit of de-bugging yourself.

14. Indivism

Indivism Newbie

Hi @Fred Bloggs ! Your new 1.0.4.1 update did the trick! I can now open the app successfully on MacOS 12.6.3 Monterey M1 Pro. It opens successfully without the outofbounds error. However, when I try to rescan libraries, it crashes with that same OutOfBoundsException error. Luckily, I can reopen the app again without crashing, so the error only happens for me when I click the rescan libraries button. Just thought it might help you troubleshoot further :) Thank you for the fix though! Much appreciated

15. Crackman

Crackman Newbie

I’ve just seen that I was on the player version ! That’s probably why it wasn’t on full version, because the KLU installed on the full kontakt version !!

Now there’s still the problem with my factory library, which I uninstalled and then installed again but no results, and also this problem of not finding the pathway of my vst’s…

16. Fred Bloggs

I'm not sure how finding the paths of VSTs and the Factory Library might be KLU related problems :dunno:

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

I just got KLU open on High Sierra. I installed Kontakt 5.6.6., but also connected a drive with Kontakt libraries on it to test.

It's either getting a null result when it looks for/finds 0 libraries and then crashes, or reinstalling K5 did something. (I doubt it).

Works nicely now. Thanks for the cool utility. :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  18. Fred Bloggs

:wink:

19. Crackman

Crackman Newbie

It is related, because before I installed the factory via KLU, it worked nicely but since this it shows « this instrument belongs to a library that is not installed currently »….

For the pathway problem, have you guys a solution ? It’s embarrassing as I can’t open vsts via Kontakt but via finder…

thanks anyways !

20. clone

clone Audiosexual

Load it into Kontakt 5.6 first, then.