KLU (Kontakt Library Utility)

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Fred Bloggs, Dec 19, 2022.

1. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

I love you, I got the Sonuscore Chroma Grand Piano working
    (on M1 Macbook Air, Ventura):

1. Open app
    2. Click on NICNT Utils button (up right)
    3. Select Change Library button, and then actually selecting the library's folder.
    4. Bottom left Install this library in Kontakt
    5. Refresh library list
    6. Make sure you had your DAW closed, if open, close it.
    8. Open your DAW, open Kontakt, library should be displayed right there.
    10. Success!!!

Yes I didn't type steps 7 or 9, just for fun! :bleh:

2. Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs Platinum Record

:)
    Step 7 - Fingers crossed
    Step 9 - Fingers uncrossed
    :rofl:

3. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

Saw the same in my macmini running Catalina.
    At first launch a popup window say something like "setting up default preferences" that sticks forever.
    Clicking on OK button in the above window,"An exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled. The application must shut down." show up...

Good news is relaunching KLU, the app runs and works as expected.

4. Fred Bloggs

That's interesting information that seems to point to a bug in the creation of a default preferences file. I will look into it.

5. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

Unsuccessful with Alicia Keys, it says it installs, but when you try to load it in Kontakt, gives me error message.
    Then going to the utility again, I double click on Alicia Keys (it appears on the user Library, as if it was successfully installed),
    and I get this message:

The item I'm trying to access, does not exist, or is badly referenced.

Check that the Service Center, Main Preferences and Library NICNT files are not duplicated, or that you have old versions left from previous installs.

If it continues being troublesome, delete all traces of it from the Service Centre, Main and User preferences folders and reinstall.

6. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Noisemaker

Thanks again Fred for your latest contribution. Seems like a really good idea to combine your past tools. I was forced to update to Ventura a week or so ago for other reasons. I don't know if anyone running Ventura has tested yet, but this KLU app isn't working properly for me. Some of the problems I'm experiencing are:

1. When I SHOW the list of anomalies, the resulting pop-up window doesn't have scroll capabilities. To view the list I have to expand the window, which isn't super practical. Also the list I'm seeing in this window is the "These service centre XMLs have no equivalent NICNT..." but that's incorrect. They all do and they're all visible and useable in Kontakt. So there seems to be something wrong with whatever rules are set up for generating this list. (But the SNPID mismatch list did catch 2 mismatches for me so that worked, thanks.)

2. Installing a library that definitely has a valid NICNT. Once I load a library into KLU and it displays the correct data and wallpaper etc, I click on install and it tells me it's installed correctly, but it doesn't make any files it seems. There's no service centre XML created and it doesn't show in kontakt. If I manually install with kitty's scripts which is what I've been doing for the last year or so, it installs correctly and the relevant files are created and I can see it in Kontakt. So I know it's not a problem with the NICNT or the library itself.

I'd be surprised if the issues I'm seeing are because of Ventura just because I'm still using the same exact script that Kitty made without modification and that works as expected. So if you ARE using those scripts integrated into your app, then something else is going wrong in there somewhere.

Thanks again for your effort. I look forward to this app being fully functional!

7. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

Hammersmith Pro piano installs fine.

8. Fred Bloggs

What error did Kontakt give ? If it appears in Kontakt at all, the installation was successful and it would appear that the problem is in some way related to the library. Did you follow the suggestions in the KLU message ?

9. Fred Bloggs

@DarkKnight : Thanks for your detailed report. Always very helpful for the app's progress/improvement.
    1. The lack of scroll in the anomalies window is a feature, not a bug ! I used a third party library to handle tabs in windows. Unfortunately when the window is enabled, it allows selections, which, due to the way the library works, are not very aesthetic. I will re-enable it in the next release, awaiting writing a solution of my own. If you display the PDF, everything is there :wink:. As to the equivalent NICNT errors, this may be a phrasing error rather than an actual one. I actually have several of these in my own libraries (which I've not had time to fix yet!), but a quick glance at the first of mine, Sonuscore Chroma, also appears in Kontakt, but, according to NI's own guidelines is NOT CONFORM. The SC xml and the Main preferences folder plist have different names,Chroma.xml for the former and Sonuscore.Chroma.plist for the latter. I'll need to re-install it correctly if I want to get rid of that anomaly :guru: . Others should simply not be listed, and should figure in the exclusions list. Anyway, if you're really sure your installation is conform to NI's recommendations, I'll look into that further. I'm glad you got something out of it anyway…
    2. I have not been able to reproduce this problem :dunno:. Those that didn't work for me, didn't work with the original Kitty scripts either, and they were old libraries that installed with K5.6. It's definitely NOT a Venture problem. The software is written and compiled on Ventura, and I'm running Ventura myself!
    Always happy for feedback :yes:

10. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

I didn't follow the suggestions.
    Not a Mac saavy yet.
    Besides was a fresh Alicias install.
    However, I installed Noire too, loads fine but doesn't show either in the main Kontakt library window, I just drag the nki, found C or D to be annoying, badly recorded, deleted it (but tried to double click on it to uninstall it first and gave me the same error as Alicias, weird).
    Probably it's not even your program's fault and some libraries just will give error for some unkown reason.

Installed the Grandeur no issues either.

11. Fred Bloggs

@Scarlett : I have both Alicias Keys and Noire. I just used KLU to uninstall them both, which it did without problem. They did indeed disappear from Kontakt. I used KLU to re-install them and they were back, no problem.
    Uninstalling a Kontakt library manually is not exactly rocket science and KLU can even help with that!
    In the KLU's SNPID window, find the library that you want to un-install, Alicias Keys for instance and alt (⌥) double click on the library row. The Service Center folder will open and the Alicias Keys.xml file will be highlighted. Throw it away (or if you have qualms about doing that, drag it somewhere "safe" before throwing it. Come back to KLU and Command (⌘) double click on the library row. This will highlight "com.native-instruments.Alicias Keys.plist" in the Main Preferences folder. Throw that away too. And that's it ! Now if you really want to remove all trace, the library has probaply installed a preference file in your user Preferences folder. If youu wan't to get shot of that, come back to KLU and Command/Alt (⌘⌥) double click and you'll be taken to your user library preference .plist for that library, which you can also throw. This last one is NOT needed for the library to be un-installed and if you actually had user preference, you may wish to keep it. This info IS in the PDF document that comes with KLU.

12. apostolica

apostolica Member

Version 1.0.3 didn't work for Synth AI but Kitty scripts does.

M1 and Ventura.

13. Fred Bloggs

Did you get this from the sister site ? If so, what did you use to create the nicnt file and the wallpaper or didn't you create them at all ? If you just double-clicked the instrument, then you didn't need KLU or the Kitty script :wink:

14. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

Um I see I can go to the top menu, instead of using shortcuts.
    Still, all double clicking or using the top menu gives me this error:
    The item I'm trying to access, does not exist, or is badly referenced.

Check that the Service Center, Main Preferences and Library NICNT files are not duplicated, or that you have old versions left from previous installs.

If it continues being troublesome, delete all traces of it from the Service Centre, Main and User preferences folders and reinstall.

Service Center folder will open and the Alicias Keys.xml file will be highlighted. Throw it away (or if you have qualms about doing that, drag it somewhere "safe" before throwing it. Come back to KLU and Command (⌘) double click on the library row. This will highlight "com.native-instruments.Alicias Keys.plist" in the Main Preferences folder:

If you could tell me where these folders are so I can open them manually and delete those files, that would be neat.

Also, the working and successfully installed libraries when I open K7 don't show, but I can drag the nki to it and they will load with no issues.

The only one that really gives me trouble is Alicia's for some reason.
    (and if I deleted any other library before uninstalling, gives me the same error and will stay permanently on the libraries list on KLU)

15. Fred Bloggs

@Scarlett
    If it says the item doesn't exist, then either the item doesn't exist (!), or if it does, its name has been changed in some way. A simple extra space is considered a change.
    The "Service Center" folder is at :
    Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Service Center/name of my library.xml
    The "Main Library" preferences are at :
    Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.name of my library.plist
    Those two are the important ones. Your user preference file is only important if you have stored preferences for the given library. Back in K5 days, they also stored your personal order of libraries in Kontakt, but that is no longer the case. If they are corrupt however, they could prevent the library from loading. You'll find your user library at :
    Macintosh HD/Users/myuser/Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.name of my library.plist
    This Library folder is not necessarily visible by default. If it isn't, you can make it appear by holding the Option (⌥) key. There is a shortcut to this folder in the Finder "Show" menu. There again, "Library" may only appear if you're holding down the Option (⌥) key.
    "Macintosh HD" is the default name that Apple gives to the startup drive for your Mac. This can be changed !

Dragging an instrument (nki) file strait to Kontakt will allways work if the library is cracked ! You will however not git it listed with a wallpaper in Kontakt's library list (lists in K7). The NICNT and wallpaper are aesthetic rather than functional !

Alicias Keys is a Native Instrument library and NI tend to bury their wallpapers in the nkx file, so even though KLU will say there is no wallpaper (for the moment - I'm working on it !), it actually has one in the nkx file, along with other graphic elements.Generating an external wallpaper with KLU (or any other source) won't do any harm but it will, as will any external wallpaper, show instead of the embedded one.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  16. eQL

eQL Newbie

Hi all - getting this error when I try to launch the application.

"An exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled. The application must shut down." only option im given is to hit Okay and the app closes down.

Anybody encountered this before and know of a fix?

17. DragonBiscuit

DragonBiscuit Noisemaker

Absolutely fantastic utility - thank you so much for your time and ongoing efforts! I was finally able to both clean things up on my machine and also get some libraries working again that have been quite stubborn in the past. Thanks again!

18. Fred Bloggs

I have actually fixed this bug in a version that I'll probably release tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, the simple fix is to re-launch the app ! The error happens for first timers who have never launched this app or my previous NICNT utilities. It happens when the app is trying to create default preferences.

19. Fred Bloggs

You're very welcome :):bow:

20. Fred Bloggs

Him again !! I have posted version 1.0.4. See the first post as usual.
    Not a lot of visual changes apart from the new K7 secondary browser picture display. I did however have to rewrite the the preferences routines as in the case of there being none (for a new user), the library check was starting without any preferences. This was causing a crash.
    The anomalies windows now scrolls so @DarkKnight should at least be appeased on that front :wink:.
    I have not yet found a reliable way to embed your own external wallpapers in the nicnt. I know this is possible as I've done it manually ! I just haven't coded it yet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List