KLU (Kontakt Library Utility)

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Fred Bloggs, Dec 19, 2022.

1. Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs Platinum Record

I downloaded the newly posted Chroma library, dropped it in KLU's NICNT utilities window and hit the "Install this library" button. It said installed OK (but then it usually does say that!), I quit and opened Kontakt 7 and there it was, so this is indeed one of those that works both with my application and I suppose with the bare Kitty scripts, although I didn't try them myself. There's really no reason. As I've said several times now, my application has the Kitty scripts embedded for installing and removing libraries. I have had success with other libraries with nicnt files generated by my application, so I don't think the nicnt file is the cause of the problem. I will however need to investigate further.

2. steeth2

steeth2 Newbie

Thanks a lot Fred for looking in to this. Don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out and I'll of course do it for you. If you need any more info or screen capture or something from how it works my end.

3. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

There's an app called FSMonitor to take a snapshot of what appens on Mac doing whatever action:
    https://fsmonitor.com/

It could be useful to see and compare differences between adding libraries with different tools...

4. steeth2

steeth2 Newbie

Just wanted to report back that I still haven't managed to get any .nicnt file created with this program to register in Kontakt, but every other library that comes with a .nicnt file gets added and works perfectly fine. Again, obviously I'm doing something wrong so I'm not blaiming the program of course, but I just tried again and noticed a line in the terminal that I haven't seen when adding libraries that comes with a .nicnt file. It said something like: "First RE may not be empty" two times. I haven't seen that line before when adding libraries with the Kitty script that comes with a .nicnt file. Don't know what it means or if it has anything to do with it not working.

Also, for some reason when I add the library with the KLU software, it doesn't create an .xml file in the Service Center? But when I add the same library with the standalone Kitty script, it creates the .xml file? It still doesn't work and doesn't show up in Kontakt, but it's a bit weird?

5. Fred Bloggs

I have posted version 1.0.3, which I should probably have named 1.1 ! The changes and additions are listed in the first post, along with the download link. Most things are self explanatory, but it's probably worth expanding a bit on the changes I made to the nicnt files that the application produces. After many, many tests of what worked and what didn't I have finally settled on a "slimmed down" version, completely removing two keys that were said to be essential to make a library appear as authentic. Well it seems they weren't as essential as all that as, since removing those, I have successfully created nicnt files for and installed the libraries of a dozen or so Kontakt libraries that all worked directly in K6 and K7. I actually only had one failure, and it turned out that the library itself had been mis-installed previously with some corrupt files. After removing removal of said files, the library installed just fine.
    I hope it works as well for you as it seems to for me :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  6. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

You did it ! :like:

Great job indeed. I got a new library, for wich I create the .nicnt as well, to show up in K6 & 7 :yes: (Monterey/Intel OS)

Big thanks !

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  7. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

1.0.3 creates .nicnt file and wallpaper as well as files in preferences and service center, but libraries are not added to kontakt 6 nor 7. mac m1 running Monterey.

8. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Greatly appreciate your work @Fred Bloggs. Unfortunately I'm still having trouble adding older libraries even after creating new ninct, batch resaving in Kontakt 7 & then installing library with KLU... The only work around I have found at this moment is following the previous steps I mentioned, then temporarily removing the XML file from service center & using Kontakt 5.6.6 to add library.... In order to add additional libraries, I have to remove all XML files associated with previous installed libraries using KLU because Kontakt 5.6.6 crashes on start with those XML files in service center. It's a multi step process, but it works. Just very convoluted... The other issue I'm having is not all libraries I install show up in the secondary browser window ( the browser that has a smaller picture & tags).... Again, appreciate your work. Just wish I could get this work without the convoluted process.

PS/ Using Intel Mac Ventura

9. steeth2

steeth2 Newbie

Thanks a million for the efforts Fred, it finally worked for me with the new 1.0.3 version! :) Happy here :) The Infinite Woodwinds by Aaron Venture that I tried adding with the previous version but failed to show up in either Kontakt 6 or 7 for me, finally shows up and works perfectly when creating a .nicnt file with version 1.0.3. I'm on an Intel iMac running the latest Monterey version. I'll try the other libraries that didn't work with 1.0.2 as well. Fingers crossed they also work with this version :)

Great job Fred!

10. Fred Bloggs

OK… so mixed returns so far. Those for whom it works - GREAT ! I hope it lasts.
    I know I had problems with one older library (World Impact from Vir2 to be precise). My only solution was K5.6 to install this ! It's an odd one which I'm looking further into. It's supplied with its own Service Center xml file which you have to install manually. There is no nicnt file and no wallpaper (!), even though after installing with K5.6, wallpaper appears in Kontakt but still o nicnt file. Strange !
    @Moogerfooger - The new presentation in K7 needs investigation. I have already noticed that other libraries didn't appear in the secondary browser. It seems that it's a quite different problem and unrelated to my wallpapers and nicnt files or perhaps to both !! At first sight, it seems it could be related to wallpapers embedded in the nicnt file.
    I added the feature to extract the embedded wallpapers and I've started looking into embedding external wallpapers, but extracting them is a lot easier than embedding them !
    To be continued…

11. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

https://support.native-instruments....d-Non-Player-Libraries-to-KONTAKT-7-s-Browser

No, not strange :) that lib belongs to the "pre nicnt" era (Kontakt 4 or early K5 versions)
    At that time libraries were listed in a plist called com.native-instruments.Content.plist

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

@belalugosi
    Thanks for the info… My smooth brain guess is NKS plays a role in getting them to show up in secondary browser.

13. Fred Bloggs

That's very interesting. I hadn't spotted that. It does seem to work OK but adds a generic folder icon. I've been digging around a bit, and it seems the secondary wallpaper is actually another file embedded in the nicnt file, probably the second one, so embedding ones own wallpaper(s) could be a possibility…

14. Fred Bloggs

The library I was referring to doesn't have an NKS file. It does however have an embedded wallpaper which could be hidden in the NKX file but if it is, it's not a png file like more recent libraries.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  15. Fred Bloggs

Can you send me one of those xml files that cause a crash ? KLU does an integrity check on all xml files in the SC folder and will normally list corrupt xml files.

16. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I probably worded my response incorrectly earlier- Kontakt 5.6.6 crashes from OLDER libraries that have been batch saved in Kontakt 7 when the ninct/XLM were generated by KLU… KLU doesn’t crash and reports everything is good in the snpid side of things.. I’ve already deleted everything but will make one again.. the library I know for sure has a problem is the older Strezov Sampling Storm Choir 2… not the newer Ultimate Storm Choir 2… I’ll send u something later this evening brother.

EDIT: Very odd.... I attempted to make things crash again, but now everything is working fine using both Kontakt 5.6.6 for adding older libraries & using KLU ninct/xml generation/installation combination.

17. M McB

M McB Producer

Hi maybe wrong place but I've been trying with Kitty scripts for a long time but to no avail never had it work.

Since this also uses Kitty scripts, I assume this may also not work for me.

Using 5.6 is the only method that has worked for me (Monterey) but would love to have a tool like this work. Is it possible to use this tool for libs already with Nicnt's and it adds it anyway / creates new one then installs using Kitty scripts?

Thanks for the great work @Fred Bloggs !

18. Fred Bloggs

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here :dunno:

19. arsch

arsch Noisemaker

when I try to open the app it says "An exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled. The application must shut down." and then it shutsdown. macbook pro m1 ventura 13.1.

20. Fred Bloggs

Corrupt library ? Bad installation ?