KLU (Kontakt Library Utility)

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Fred Bloggs, Dec 19, 2022.

1. steeth2

steeth2 Newbie

I guess it's totally impossible, but does anyone know if KLU or any other utility or something is able to "move" a whole Kontakt library structure from one computer to another? I have quite an extensive Kontakt library that I've collected thru the years that works great. All the libraries are on external drives and I'm about to make the switch from my old Intel iMac to the new Silicon macs.

I guess I just have to bite the bullet and manually install everything on the new computer, but I just thought I'd check to see if there is at all possible that KLU or any other utility or software (or manually) could copy/move/migrate the Kontakt library structure so all my libraries appears on the new computer after installing Kontakt without me having to manually install every library again? Much like migration assistant for Mac that can move over apps and everything from the user account from one mac to a new one? I want to start fresh with the new Silicon mac, but some things like my extensive Kontakt library would be so nice not to have to recreate again by installing everything manually..

2. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

Just copy:
    1)all .plist related to Kontakt libs from main Library/Preferences
    2)the content of Library/Applicaions Support/Native Instruments/Service Center folder
    3) /Users/"You"/Documents/Native Instruments/User Content/Kontakt (snapshots from official Libs)

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  3. steeth2

steeth2 Newbie

Thanks a lot for your reply. Does that really work? Just copy all those files and my new computer will find and be able to use all my Kontakt libraries without me having to install them? If so that would be so extremely helpful and immensely time saving.

4. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

It is what I always did over the years moving to a new machine or partition ;-)
    BTW: I edited my post above adding a third step I'd forgot to mention.

5. steeth2

steeth2 Newbie

Thank you so much. That sounds absolutely phenomenal if that works. And thanks a lot for updating your post with the steps involved, I really really appreciate it. Thanks.

6. steeth2

steeth2 Newbie

Just a thought and dream for a feature in KLU :) I doubt it's even possible, and if even possible would take a lot of time and effort to do, but one can dream :) Would be great to have a button or something to press to "see" a list of all currently installed Kontakt libraries. In that list it would be amazing to be able to click and select a library (or all of them at the same time) and press a button called "export" or something that would export all the corresponding .plist and service center files needed in order for Kontakt to see and use a specific library on a different computer.
    So if like in my case when I get a new computer and want to move over my entire Kontakt library to use on my new computer, there is a way to quickly and easily export and re-import all corresponding files needed by Kontakt to the new computer. belalugosi gave me an invaluable tip on how to achieve that manually, which is freaking fantastic since that will save a lot of time not having to install everything again. But even faster and easier would be to have a program do those steps for you as a computer is always a lot smarter and more efficient than my own brain and I can easily miss or forget something that messes something up :)

Again, this is just an idea and a wish from me :) I have no idea how to even begin to start writing code and create such an amazing piece of software that KLU is that Fred has created, and I'm extremely grateful to Fred all all those kind spirits out there who creates such amazing tools for us to use. I completely understand this would take a huge amount of effort and time if it's even at all possible :) But again, one can wish :)

Thanks again Fred for your amazing work!

7. wivartli

wivartli Newbie

Greetings dear @Fred Bloggs. I've tried 1.2.3 and 1.2.4 versions of CLU but I still get "Out of Bounds error bugs", what other options can I try?

8. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

Best "option" is go to page 12 of this topic and read A to Z ;-)

9. CurryTheChef

CurryTheChef Newbie

Hello, thank you for your lovely contribution @Fred Bloggs. The KLU works like a charm! But I had a question in mind. For some reason, Analog Brass & Wind by Output was not installed correctly, so I want to reinstall it. In this error message, it is said that: Delete all traces of it from the Service Centre, Main, and User preferences folders and reinstall it. I know where and how the Service Centre folder works, but I have no idea where the "Main" and "User Preferences" folders are. Are they hidden folders by any chance? Can somebody explain the path to these folders? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

10. Jazzanini

Jazzanini Newbie

Hello all! I've got KLU 1.24 and Kontakt 7.31 on MacOS. I have two libraries installed using KLU, which do not pop up in Kontakt icons list of libraries. According to KLU they are installed and so should be present. If I navigate within Kontakt to their specific SSD folder, I can launch the NKI files within the libraries, NP. But they just won't show up in the list. I uninstalled them in KLU and reinstalled using Kitty Scripts and still the same issue. Interestingly, last week one of those libraries did display properly in Kontakt. What gives?

11. Jazzanini

Jazzanini Newbie

I just tried something and it was half successful: I deleted the xml files for those two libraries in Service Center folder and deleted the nice files. Then I reinstalled them in KLU and recreated the *.nict files.This successfully restored one of the libraries (the one that worked last week). But the second one is still not showing but does launch *.nki files if selected. So what could be going on here and how do I get the second one going as well?

12. Jazzanini

Jazzanini Newbie

Issue solved! Just writing things down in the forum seems to be enough to get into the proper problem solving mode! I changed the SNPID to a new number for the troubled library and that did the trick. Go figure! Hopefully this is of use to others facing similar issue.

13. Lailyxxx

Lailyxxx Newbie

How to fix it?

Attached Files:

14. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

Uh, able to write (even twice) but unable to READ ?

Your question has been issued (more or less). Just scroll up and read my msg above.
    Please, delete your second post.

15. Lailyxxx

Lailyxxx Newbie

Idk, how to do it,so sorry, I'm first time on this forum and this is was my first message and Engl not my 1st languege

16. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

I did it for you using the report button ;-). Some admin/mod will fix it.

17. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Hello everyone. This app is amazing. Saves so much time and works perfectly.

Is anyone aware of a better way to organize Kontakt libraries in the left panel on Mac OS? I know there is an app for PC but I can't find anything for Mac. It takes forever to drag one library at a time from the top to the bottom of 100s of libraries. It takes hours to organize my 20 years of libraries and occasionally something will happen in my system and I will have to start the entire process over from scratch.

It would be a dream come true if this functionality could be added to KLU. Some sort of method of organizing the order in which libraries appear in the libraries tab.

18. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Please, take the thread topic in account:
    KLU (Kontakt Library Utility) in Mac section.
    Thank you.

19. rquintas

rquintas Newbie

Hi. Maybe a dumb question but where do i find KLU?...
    edit: found!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
  20. GH Bryans

GH Bryans Newbie

Just found this. Life saver for my new Mac Studio with Ventura where none of the old methods seem to work. Great work dude!