KLU (Kontakt Library Utility)

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Fred Bloggs, Dec 19, 2022.

1. 32080keys

32080keys Newbie

No crash on startup on 1.2.4 !

Will test and update.

Thank you for all of your efforts and the offer still stands if you need beta tester or remote connection to my systems for testing.

2. Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs Platinum Record

Frustrating is the word ! I have half a dozen various systems running, High Sierra to Ventura, and KLU works fine on all of them for me!
    I have removed support for old preference files which MAY have been causing trouble for some, see above, but it's not actually a known fix ! Try it…
    Thanks for the offer, but this would be complicated as I would need all my development environment and debugger plus my code, and there's no saying that running on the debugger will actually show up the bug ! Things like timing problems don't show up in my debugger for instance.
    What could be useful is a crash report from the console or a copy of the one produced by the system if it shows one - the one that says "Your software has quit, would you like to send in a bug report". You can say OK and just copy the contents of the message and PM it to me, without actually sending in the report. That could well help, if you can… :wink:.
    I am actually working on a version 2 at the moment, which I will probably release in ßeta form in a while, time permitting.

3. 32080keys

32080keys Newbie

Here is some interesting info. This on a the 2011 MBP Monterey.

I removed the plist and KLU 1.2.3 then did a reboot just because. Installed 1.2.4, verified plist was in Preferences then ran program. KLU ran successfully. but gave me some static about a library not installed properly, which since then I had discovered was an OE. I then realized I had some .xml files I created / modified for the libraries that I was trying to install based on the NI Factory Lib XML file still in the NI Service Center folder

I removed the .xml files and ran KLU once again and had the same OOB crash. Then I replaced the hacked up .xml files I created I moved back. KLU started successfully once again. I proceeded to install two libraries successfully. Graphics are kinda of wonky on one of them (no fault or KLU) but they both are functional. If you need any additional info let me know. Hope this helps.

I never receive the standard apple crash report window. KLU just politely exits after choosing OK. Not too familiar with how to generate on from the console but I will look to see how I can to this.

The libraries are MoJo Horns and Cinematic Strings.

You did an awesome job on the software and interface by the way.

Edited because I type way faster than I think.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  4. Fred Bloggs

Thanks for the info… and the compliment :bow:.
    Not sure what's going on with your XMLs. KLU checks all XMLs and plists for validity so if it has run at least once, any corrupt XMLs should be reported.

5. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

My understanding is that what does prevent KLU from launching are those xml files Komplete Kontrol related in Service Center folder ?
    A friend of mine, after removing them from the folder, got KLU working !

May be, the right way to make KLU working for all, could be make it that the app would ignore every xml NOT strictly Kontakt related by default ?

6. Fred Bloggs

I was aware that certain XMLs in the SC folder were a problem, which is why I created the exceptions list in the preferences ! All entries in there are ignored. The default ones are all known to be dodgy ! That said, if you know of a way of uniquely identifying XMLs "NOT strictly Kontakt related" from the others, I would love to hear of it :wink:

7. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

Sure and it is what I did even if, those xml still listed togheter the Kontakt libs ?
    Problem, anyway, is for people that cannot access to the Preferences because KLU quits or never start.

Sorry, I have no clue really if not make it that KLU, scanning the xmls, would ignore by default all the files that doesn't have "Kontakt" in the text ? (if even possible)

8. Fred Bloggs

That's actually a very good idea I think! I've just been checking SC XMLs and it seems that XMLs other than actual Kontakt library XMLs are missing the "<PoweredBy>Kontakt</PoweredBy>" tag, all bar a couple of exceptions (NativeAccess and ProductHints are full of them!) ! Even Kontakt 5 has none. Some, like Rammfire or Reflektor for instance have "<PoweredBy>Maschine</PoweredBy>" and "<PoweredBy>GuitarRig</PoweredBy>" respectively.
    So yes… I'll look at incorporating a search for the <PoweredBy> tag and make sure it's "Kontakt", although there will still be at least two exceptions that I now know of, which I'll probably hard code into the app…
    Thanks for the idea… to be followed… KLU Version 2(ß probably) in not too long :wink:

9. edit003399

edit003399 Newbie

Hey! I still have this OutOfBounds Exception problem. I have Native Access installed, 7.13 Kontakt, latest version of KLU. I have also just transfered to MAC, I used windows all my life so I might be just stupid. But I believe I made everything as I should have. The error is at the startup of the app.

Macbook Pro 2020 M1 Ventura 13.3.1

10. Fred Bloggs

You don't say anything about your libraries. Is Kontakt running… ? with libraries installed… ? This is important as, if you have never run Kontakt, the situation is quite different than having hundreds of installed libraries that run without problem. Although judging from the number of downloads KLU has had, it would seem most people have it running without problems, you seem, unfortunately, to be one of the exceptions. Try to give me a bit more information and I'll see if there's anything I can do. If not, you'll have to wait for V2 of KLU I'm afraid.

11. edit003399

edit003399 Newbie

Kontakt is launching fine and I dont have any libraries installed yet. Also I use ableton.
    KLU launches and I see the interface but it gives OutOfBOunds immediately so I cant even access the app. I tried 1.2.3, 1.2.4 – same results.
    Please let me know what type of information you need from me, I appreciate your help and I hope I am not a criminal for being a noob...

12. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

Hello edit003399

Try the following:
    Goto Service Center folder located in MainLibrary > Applications Support > Native Instruments
    Move away ALL the xml files you find in the folder (to move hold down Control key and drag)
    Launch KLU and see if it opens without errors
    If yes, you can restore back those xml files in Service Center folder

13. Fred Bloggs

You are certainly NOT a criminal for being a "noob" ! Rveryone has to start somewhere. It's also not your fault that my app crashes ! THat would be some situation that I have not foreseen. The thing is to figure out what that is. The app starts by scanning the Service Center folder, so my first suggestion would have been the same as @belalugosi's. I would have said "make sure you HAVE a Service Center folder" first, but since Kontakt is installed, it should be there. So start by doing what @belalugosi says, and report back…

14. edit003399

edit003399 Newbie

Omg, thank you so much @belalugosi and @Fred Bloggs. This helped <3 God bless yall people who share knowledge, mad respect!

15. Fred Bloggs

Glad it helped :wink:

16. Jazzanini

Jazzanini Newbie

Hoping for some help here. I used the KLU utility to add a number of libraries to Kontakt. All were originally installed on an external SSD. Everything worked fine. Then I got a new bigger SSD drive and I copied the entire library folder from the old drive to the new drive. The KLU still shows everything as is but when I opened Kontakt, each library is listed as a non-functional red folder with text: "Library not found. Click 'Manage libraries' to set the content via Native Access." I had a simplistic view thinking that I can just swap one drive for another and all will be well but I was clearly wrong. How do I re-associate each library in Kontakt with its new drive location? One thing I tried is uninstalling a library in KLU. The library then disappears from Kontakt as expected. But after I reinstalled it back in KLU, it reappeared in the Kontakt list but still as a non-functional red folder. So KLU did not "update" the location for Kontakt. Now I'm stuck. Is there some script in the Mac registry retaining old associations?

17. Jazzanini

Jazzanini Newbie

Quick update! I realized my new drive volume had a different name. So I renamed it to the original drive's volume and all of the sudden all the libraries popped up in Kontakt in working order. Except, three new ones which I added through KLU on the new drive when it had a different drive name. So now it's the same problem for the three new libraries. They show up as nonfunctional red folders. So back to square one for the newly added ones. So where do I modify the drive name info for these three entries for Kontakt to correctly locate these newly added libraries? Alternatively, is there a way to erase all the associations for the libraries and reinstall them from scratch? It's only three so it wouldn't be extremely laborious.

18. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

/Library/Preferences/ > all com.native-instruments.”lib name”.plist do contain the library path to be edited.
    Open them in a plist editor > change the path > save >done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. Fred Bloggs

What @belalugosi says is absolutely correct as that is where the path to each of your libraries is stored. It is however also a bit tedious as would be uninstalling everything with KLU an re-installing, which has to work as an installation with KLU starts with a reference to the NICNT file which is in your Kontakt library folder at its current location, wherever that may be! Check the path in the preferences folder of the one you did with KLU and you should see that the path is correct. Did you restart Kontakt ?
    I'm guessing from your reference to "Native Access" that you're using Kontakt 7. Kontakt 6 still has a "Search for Library" function which disappeared in K7. This works with Spotlight and is MUCH faster than doing it by hand if you have many libraries to change.
    As to "erasing all associations, that's what KLU does when it "uninstalls" a library. In fact it just removes three files -
    • MacintoshHD/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Service Center/your library.xml
    • MacintoshHD/Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.your library.plist
    • MacintoshHD/Users/Your User/Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.your library.plist
    These can be removed manually and you should probably check these for the new libraries that don't show.
    The problem for KLU (as for Kontakt) is to uninstall a library that was originally installed on another drive with a different name and then moved ! Un-installing with KLU BEFORE moving would remove it cleanly, but after, the paths have changed !
    The original Kitty Scripts are capable of batch installing and uninstalling but I found them to miss libraries now and then and you don't know which ones it's missed, so finding them can be tedious too according to the size of your library !

20. Jazzanini

Jazzanini Newbie

Thanks very much for the detailed answers @Fred Bloggs and @belalugosi. It does indeed sound tedious to have to fix things manually. So I tried something... I used KLU to uninstall the library in question and it was still not showing up correctly after KLU reinstallation. I got lucky eventually by following the KLU uninstallation by a removal and subsequent reinstall of the library with Kitty Script. It then miraculously reappeared in K7. So all is well. Much appreciated.

A new issue I have noticed in KLU is occasional one or two blank line entries. They don't contain any information. When I double-click the line, it goes to my Mac root drive. Anyone seen this before? I would like to remove these blank line/s from my KLU db if possible.