Kingston SKC2500M8/1000G NVMe 1TB PCIe SSD vs WS WD 1TB WD1003FZEX Black

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Yellow Raven, Dec 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Yellow Raven

Yellow Raven Platinum Record

Hello Guys,

Can anybody shed a light on whether The
    Kingston SKC2500M8/1000G NVMe 1TB PCIe SSD
    is better than
    a western digital 1TB WD1003FZEX Black HDD

Not for operating system but for storage ( my 3d Library and Music Samples etc)
    SSD at 112$ while HDD at 88$

please note I already have one HDD that is the same but I need a second one
    and no suggestion of other Drives as these are my only choices

thank you

3. trz303

trz303 Producer

SSD is far better than HDD in any situation.

4. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

First of all that's a expansive HDD for 1tb, most 4TB HDD drives are cheaper than that, so the question is, do you need storage or speed...

If you need storage, get a 4tb drive like this one and it is still 13bucks cheaper than that HDD drive, if you need speed, then go with the SSD.

And of course the SSD is more than 10 times faster than the HDD, plus with nowadays SSDs they're pretty smart and they wont wore out like the old ones, an NVME SSD is good for big heavy libraries and basically everything else.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Your operating system should run on a small SSD (500 GB SSD) and for data
    storage (films, music, etc.) preferably 2 or 3 TB from Western Digital.

Crucial MX500 500GB CT500MX500SSD1(Z)-bis zu 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2,5 Zoll, Internes SSD)
    www.amazon.de/Crucial-MX500-CT500MX500SSD1-Internes-NAND/dp/B0784SLQM6

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

he is probably stuck with some old bios or whatever, where there is a 1tb limitation of some kind. otherwise, why would you install a 1tb hdd at all? it makes no sense. 4 times the storage external usb 3.0 hdd is something like an additional 50$.

7. Yellow Raven

thank you for the info but the one suggested isn't available here and isn't 7200 HD better for kontakt libraries and 3D libraries ?

8. Yellow Raven

for the operating system I have this: Kingston SFYRS/1000G 1TB NVMe 1TB M.2 2280 Internal – PCI Express 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD

I just want to know between the 2 I suggested which is better for storage (kontakt libraries and 3D libraries)
    as I think SSD is less to fail and weigh less but in my case is it faster ?

thank you for the help. much appreciated

9. Yellow Raven

Hi,
    Not at all I am buying a new system in fact I just bought an 8TB WS external HD this one: WD My Book 8TB USB3.0
    do you think I can use it same as internal HD ? I mean the speed
    thank you

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

An SSD always has an advantage, only it is more expensive than an HDD. Your contact loads faster with an SSD.

Hard drives: HDD and SSD - what's the difference?

HDD or SSD: differences in how they work
    The two hard disk types HDD and SSD have completely different functionality:
    • The classic HDD consists of one or usually several magnetic disks and a read head each. The magnetic disks rotate during operation. The reading head (attached to a swing arm) moves over the discs and reads out the stored data.
    • An SSD, on the other hand, consists of many flash memories like those built into USB sticks. That means: There are no mechanical parts built into an SSD.
    • For those who are particularly interested: In separate articles we explain the functionality of the SSD and HDD in detail.
    HDD vs. SSD: Advantages of the SSD
    For a few years now, the SSD has slowly but surely overtaken the classic HDD. This is mainly due to the many advantages:
    • The SSD has no mechanical parts, which makes it much more robust than the HDD. It can also usually cope with falls without any problems, while you have to reckon with defects and data loss with an HDD.
    • Due to the lack of mechanical parts, SSDs are also almost noiseless. An HDD, on the other hand, hums during operation. This is particularly noticeable in notebooks and PCs with thin housings.
    • The most important advantage of the SSD: It works significantly faster than the classic hard drive. As a result, PCs and notebooks with an SSD start noticeably faster and up to two times faster than with classic hard drives. Files and programs are opened up to four times faster.
    • Last but not least, the SSD is lighter than the HDD. This makes it particularly suitable for mobile devices. In addition, it is usually more efficient, so it consumes significantly less electricity. This also makes them interesting for mobile devices, as the battery life is extended.
    HDD vs. SSD: Advantages of the HDD
    In addition to the many advantages, there are also some dangers lurking with SSDs. We have summarized for you which these are and where the HDD is still ahead of the game:
    • An HDD is currently (still) a lot cheaper than the SSD. Nevertheless, you can save quite a bit with the new hard drive type, as our price-performance ranking shows.
    • Furthermore, HDDs offer significantly more storage space. Up to 8 Tbytes are possible here, while current SSDs expire after 2 Tbytes at the latest.
    • In the case of data loss, there is usually still hope with HDDs: The data can often still be read with special tools . This is rarely possible with an SSD.
    • Therefore our recommendation: The SSHD combines the advantages of an HDD with those of the fast SSD.
    In the next article we will show you the most popular SSD hard drives in comparison .