Kim Dotcom goes MEGA

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Quakeaudio, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

http://kim.com/mega/

3. AMERICUH

AMERICUH Kapellmeister

he's finally back :wink:

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

lets see

5. light59

light59 Member

Lol! The intimidation techniques of the Hollywood cartel will have little effect on Kim Dotcom, except maybe making him even more driven to launch the service (launch date January 19th), despite threats of being dragged through another lawsuit if he does so. Only a jail term will stop him! *yes* :rofl:

6. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

hope this service exceeds the popularity of the first megaupload, just because he's a boss. ain't no one telling him what to do. i hope he shits on the us government. :headbang:

7. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

The REPUTATION of Mr. Kim Dotcom is not good at all - regardless what many may think.
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Dotcom
    To say it with straight words: "Even if you paint a load of shit golden - it always will stink!"

Another Republican neo-fascist trying to fool the world.

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Limitations
    Unfortunately, we can't work with hosting companies based in the United States. Safe harbour for service providers via the Digital Millennium Copyright Act has been undermined by the Department of Justice with its novel criminal prosecution of Megaupload. It is not safe for cloud storage sites or any business allowing user-generated content to be hosted on servers in the United States or on domains like .com / .net. The US government is frequently seizing domains without offering service providers a hearing or due process

haha funny to read that :D

source: http://kim.com/mega/#/hosting

so its already 19th jan here - guess will open when the US is over the zero am mark of 19th Jan. 2013.

9. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

Code:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jan/18/kim-dotcom-fight-internet-freedom?CMP=twt_fd
    Kim Dotcom: spoiling for a fight with US authorities

Of course this man tries to use clever words & ideas for his own interests [Business + Money + Power] like all the rich pigs do and have done. But in today's world we don't need messiahs nor liberators from any side.
    POWER to the PEOPLE.

10. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

wise words kook, but i don't agree with your first statement, i mean everyone does that in the end, not only the rich, the poor use those same clever words & ideas to get where they wannabe. in the end, everybody wanna be succesful. i don't think that itself is a bad thing. anyway, the second statement though, that is very wisely said. "power to the people", but it's still entertaining to see this fat ass m'f*cker refusing to bow down to uncle sam's will. ever since i read this article about him @ wired it changed my perception of him. he was a bad(/fat) ass from the start and after making it big he still the same. so yeah, out of all those bastard 'republican neo-fascists' maybe he's my favorite... :unsure: :bleh:

p.s. wikipedia: "Before his arrest in New Zealand, he was the world's number one-ranked Modern Warfare 3 player out of more than 15 million online players.[28] On 23 January 2012 he lost the position and dropped to number two.[29]"

...told you, bad ass :rofl:

11. light59

light59 Member

Mega is a file-locker service! The browser compatibility and encryption are great (the 50GB storage limit on a free account is definitely a plus. Premium accounts start at $9.99 per month for which users get 500GB of storage and 2TB for data transfers). Dotcom has kept his promise that no one except the uploader of an encrypted file can see what it contains (the government won't be able to know the details of what you uploaded and/or downloaded), unless you share the private key with someone else. But the only [major] disappointing thing about Mega is the fact that, if it gets busted like Hide My Ass did three months ago, has agreed to surrender your IP information to the intervening authorities. While this might not be a troublesome issue if you're using encryption, still disturbing. :snuffy: You might consider using a good VPN carrier that doesn't keep logs if you plan to use Mega.

The following is an article by TorrentFreak from January 18th in which describes Mega's storage rules:

from TorrentFreak:

However, since Mega has branded itself “The Privacy Company” we couldn’t help but examine the site’s privacy policy, to see what personal information is stored and for how long. As it turns out the company keeps quite detailed records of its users, including IP-addresses.

"We keep the following personal information:

- When a user signs up for particular services on our website they may need to give us the details required in our registration form and keep that information up to date;

- Communication logs, traffic data, site usage and other information related to us supplying the services (including for serving of advertising material on our site);

- Any personal information included in data uploaded to our system including but not limited to registration information."

"We keep records of IP addresses used to access our services "

While this may not be a huge issue for the mainstream, privacy buffs usually prefer more anonymity. Currently dissidents and whistle blowers are not shielded from being exposed by Mega, if the authorities come knocking.

Mega won’t hand personal information out to random strangers of course, but they will cooperate with law enforcement and comply with subpoenas as they should. In their privacy policy they state the following:

"If we think it is necessary or we have to by law in any jurisdiction then we are entitled to give your information to the authorities."

"We reserve the right to assist any law enforcement agency with investigations, including and limited to by way of disclosure of information to them or their agents. We also reserve the right to comply with any legal processes, including but not limited to subpoenas, search warrants (sic) and court orders."

This anonymity aspect is somewhat of a missed opportunity.

[​IMG]

TorrentFreak
    ------------

12. malco

malco Newbie

how stupid you can be to even take in attention to pay online storage from this fat alien?
    $9.99 per month for which users get 500GB of storage and 2TB for data transfers :rofl:

he needs fresh money for the next mega burger order.

13. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

Possible....but what do such "successful" people do for the collectivity of humanity? NOTHING!
    So this model of egoistic "capitalist" success is also 1 source and reason for injustice.
    The poor - you speak about - would also like to speak, but actually they cannot because
    nearly all the media are controlled by fat capitalist crops.

What do "successful" bands really do for others? Pretty nothing....
    See this clip
    with Jaz Coleman [Killing Joke] ranting about it.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjjDcuEcZzo[/media]

Starting from minute 13:00.

14. Alraun

Alraun Member

That f*cking link doesn't work in my browser. The site went already down before it has even started :rofl:

I must confess: i don't know much about Mr. Wanna be King.com. When all this came to my interest, it has already been more the time of Filesonic/Fileserve.

I agree with ArticStorm: let's see how it goes and if he will be able to get in with everything again. At least to me he seems not to be a Robin Hood wanting to be only the best for all of us.

What Kookaboo justifably mentioned.....it doesn't count for all the rich people. In my opinion it's advantageous to know from one's own experience both ends of human existence....
    and of course one should always remember and never forget how it once was ....while staying on the other end...
    Unfortunetaly most people's experienced reality is just one end of the candle.

We don't need such a high amount of lopsided people having most of the money and/or the rights to dictate the laws of the game for our sake.

Anyway...there are always and at the same time everywhere in each camp people doing a lot for others while staying more in the background
    and not ringing the bell all the time so that everybody realizes her goodness.
    And the other way round: there are quite a few poor people giving a shit about others and this is not because they can't do anything...they don't consider....

And sometimes and for some people it might be even more difficult to let go of the good things than the bad things.
    Flexibility and balance in many ways seems to be important to me - the older i get the more i become aware of that fact. :bow:

15. HY2ROGEN

HY2ROGEN Guest

Kim Dotcom's New MEGA Encrypted Cloud Storage: See No Evil, Store No Evil

[​IMG]

Cntroversial file storage tycoon, Kim Dotcom, is launching his new encrypted cloud storage site MEGA in the U.S. tomorrow (note: link not currently active.) The service will offer 50GB of storage for free and three Pro tiers of 500GB to 4TB for $13-$40 a month.

The new service comes a year to the day from when authorities raided Dotcom’s New Zealand mansion and shut down his previous site, Megaupload. That site was notorious as a haven for pirated materials, but Dotcom maintained his innocence and charges against him were dropped.

Dotcom is clever and MEGA is designed both to compete with cloud storage giants like Dropbox, Google Drive, and RapidShare—and also to insulate itself from future charges. The difference that makes a difference is that all files are encrypted using a 2048-bit RSA key. (See a detailed writeup on Ars Technica for more details.) What this means effectively is that Dotcom cannot be accused of knowingly storing copyrighted materials because he cannot technically know the content of the files stored on MEGA—only the user who uploaded the files and/or possesses the key can.

As you can see in the screen shot below (from the Ars Technica article), you can provide links to your files (either containing the key so someone can access them directly or by providing them with the key separately) but you are prompted with a caution about not transmitting the keys through insecure channels and a far-reaching copyright warning. Although users typically do not read these warnings and will undoubtably use the service to store unauthorized copyright material, they cannot be said to have not been warned. Dotcom is betting that the combination of encrypted content and explicit warnings should be enough to keep his new service out of trouble.

[​IMG]

In an exclusive interview this morning in the Guardian (UK), Dotcom tells reporter Toby Manhire, ”We want to show the world that we are innovators. We want to show the world that cloud storage has a right to exist. And, of course, when you launch something like this, you can expect some controversy. The content industry is going to react really emotionally about this. The US government will probably try and destroy the new business … you’ve got to stand up against that, and fight that, and I’m doing that … I will not allow them to chill me.”

He maintains in the interview that the case against Megaupload was politically motivated in response to the failure of the SOPA legislation in Washington. The process has made him change his perceptions of America. In his early days as a hacker, he says that he “thought of [himself] as more American than Americans… I always had this attitude of can-do, and if you’re successful you can show it, which is a very un-German thing.” But after his prosecution he claims, “ a much better understanding now of how the US government operates and how much spying is actually going on, how much privacy intrusion is the reality today … we are very close to George Orwell’s vision becoming a reality.”

As for the entertainment industries approach to controlling piracy, Dotcom thinks they’re missing the boat. ”There’s so much money to be made, and those fools don’t get it,” he says. “They just don’t get it.” He sees himself as both pro-freedom and pro-business. It’s just that the business he sees is different than, and disruptive of, the Hollywood model. One of the perplexing things about Dotcom is that it’s as easy to paint him as a rogue as a revolutionary.

Dotcom does not accept the hacker’s black hat, however. ”I’m not evil, you know? I’m a good guy,” he says. “Everyone who knows me likes me … they should really come to the table, come to their senses and work this out. Because I’m not going to cave in. I’m going to fight this thing. And there’s no way in hell that they have any chance to win this. I don’t see it. I don’t see it because I know I’m innocent, and the lawyers know I’m innocent, and we have right on our side.”

The questions for MEGA are multiple. Will Dotcom be able to dodge takedown attempts? Will users find the encryption scheme too cumbersome? Will MEGA disrupt not only the entertainment industry but also the cloud storage market? Whatever happens, like the name and Dotcom’s own person suggest, it’s going to be big.

I WILL BE STICKING TO MY UPLOADED.NET ACCOUNT, THIS ENCRYPTION SHIT IS JUS GONNA CAUSE MORE TROUBLE AND THE USA WILL BE KEEPING A EYE ON THIS SITE, WATCH IT WILL BE OUT OF BUSINESS VERY VERY VERY SOON ENOUGH.

16. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

trying to upload Groove Armada's DVD for AudioZ... doesn't go so well :sad:

17. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

is it because of the massive initial traffic? he twittered something about it yesterday :unsure: