Kick and clap changes

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Elnur Magerramov, May 9, 2018.

1. Elnur Magerramov

Elnur Magerramov Kapellmeister

Hi everybody, don`t whats the problem but after redering the track kick and clap become more sharper and punchier over the time. For example on the second part of the drop 3 claps are dull and then the rest are punchy. It wasn`t like this before the rendering. Why could it be? Compression?

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Does your drum source use round robin function?

4. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

could you put the exact time when thing go weird? it may help

5. Elnur Magerramov

Nope, all of the drums are independent samples played by simpler (Ableton`s stock sampler) and only have EQ, Filter and just a little bit compression, about -2 GR on drum bus

for example from 0:52 to 1:00 you`ll hear the difference between kicks. they become snappier

6. Elnur Magerramov

My only guess is that the problem was caused with plugins on pre-master bus. I had some iZotope plug-ins there, a lil bit of exciter, dynamics eq, they all use lots of cpu and create some latency I think. Can it be a source of the problem? Anyway, while listening in DAW sounds alright

7. relexted

relexted Producer

Clipping? Soundcloud renders to crap.

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it's the latency. I focused on the sn before and that's not so obvious, but I could sense the change in the bd this time.
    Check if this still occurs with soloed drum kit pieces and only first compressor and then with iZotope compressor, too. I suppose it won't. These sound changes probably occur because the other sounds trigger the dynamic module in the pre-master and therefore the bd and sn are compressed too (in a different way as when soloed).

9. saltwater

saltwater Guest

what are your rendering settings? a higher sample rate than your realtime one, could lead to symptoms like this.

10. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

i can hear that the envelop of the kick is changing during the song (all the time), sometimes snappy and sometimes not,
    if i were you i would export the kick and take one of the good shots to use,

Nice track :wink:

11. Elnur Magerramov

Yeah, probably its changes in Kick only and it makes clap sound like changed too
    When I turn off the iZotope plug-ins it stops happening even with the full track playing, so I guess the problems are them.

Standart. 44100 and 24 bit
    I think if I will do that and apply something on master channel will happen again :D

12. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

You mentioned a filter on the drums. Might be a slow lfo affecting the kick transient. But then again, this would also affect the rest of the drums so... I'll get me coat. Nope, it must be caused by master bus fx, maybe hitting it with too hot a level. Try dropping it 2dB with a gain plugin first on the master bus or just alter the settings in the izotope plugins.

13. saltwater

saltwater Guest

yes, especially if you have Ozone or similar on your Master as well.

just to be sure to exclude render settings as culprit, you render a lossless file (Wav,Aiff,Flac), normalize turned off, dithering off, bit depth same as your card?

if it doesn't happen in realtime you could just create a new Audio Track, arm it, select Master as input, post Mixer, monitor to auto, then press record on an empty clip, this way you record what you hear.

another way could be to just duplicate your issue tracks, then freeze the duplicates, and then flatten.
    this will turn them into fixed Audio, the duplicate is just to keep the original for later editing,
    you need to turn off all devices on the original track to not use any processing power.

14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

The transients are really inconsistent (on that overall very loud kick, mixwise). Are you using any timestretching on the master file (which smears transients)?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  15. Elnur Magerramov

I think I fixed. Removed all the iZotope plug-ins loaded Ozone and did almost the same process but in 1 plug-in with modules and now sounds alright. I did not use only 1 thing its the iZotope`s Dynamics, so I think the problem was somewhere in that, probably overcompressed with slow atack or release, or something else

So, thank you everyone for your opinions and your help

16. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

its weird, but sometimes one keeps chasing errors with a mixed track, specially older projects.

after hours of disapointment you deactivate all processing plugins and voila, the tracks volume goes up, the drums hit again and all sounds alive. now add just a bit of eq, reverb and dealay and its perfect.

leaves you wondering why you had 50 plugins inserted allover the place. less is more so many times.. :)