keyboard shorcuts

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by lysergyk, Sep 25, 2012.

1. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

Hi,

I use a "stock" version of Reaper and I'd be interested in knowing how more advanced/heavy users have customized their reaper so that it suits their ways.

...things like the shortcuts you use most or maybe the ones you found out by chance and that are really handy? (I may learn a bunch I've never heard of!)
    or the shortcuts you have created ( to do what)?
    the enhancements/modifications you have done to improve your workflow / experience in reaper?

the list remains open ofc as long as it's about tips to work / compose with reaper in an easier and quicker manner....

as we all have different ways of working, I expect some very different things, but that's the point.

thank you all for your input.

3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Taking the following pdf as a basis: www.cockos.com/~glazfolk/ReaperKeyboardShortcuts.pdf
    I'd first go through the list, check what's important for me and change the shortcuts so I can
    type them more easily, especially for non-US keyboards, where some special characters
    sometimes require awkward key combinations.

Unfortunately, many great keyboard shortcuts and macros are wildly spread over the
    Reaper Forum, and - like you maybe - till today I haven't found a nice summary of all that.

Maybe we can do this in a joint effort and have a few of us pull them out and list them "by subject"?
    Although this should likely be done in the Reaper forum directly...

BTW, I recently discovered these shortcuts to edit and split *rhythmic* loops (much like in Recycle):
    TAB for going to the next transient in the clip
    M for marking the position
    S for splitting at the current play cursor
    [ for jumping to the next marker
    ] for going back to the previous marker

My workflow for slicing using these shortcuts would then be:
    - Zoom in deep enough so only a few transients of the clip you're editing cover the screen width
    - Trim a the clip start to the first transient
    - Tab to go to the next slice (adjust the transient detection settings!)
    - fine-adjust, if necessary and hit S (Split)
    - do so for all transients or beats or whatever split points you want

Using scripting, you can define your own macro in case you're not satisfied with the built-ins.

There's much more to this subject in Reaper, like automatic split functions which
    are nicely explained in: http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Dynamic_split.

And that's only one little aspect of the gigantic Reaper functionality ;-D

4. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep, that'd be the idea indeed. Thanks a lot for your input :wink:

5. Trilha

Trilha Newbie

Hi lysergyk:
    Aside the good info posted above, REAPER have other usefull way for you use keyboard shortcuts.
    I´m talking about the Actions. It can be only one command per Action but also can be so many commands per Action, when are named of Custom Actions (or Macro).
    Both the simple and composite Actions can be assigned for a keyboard shortcut. To make this, go to Actions menu in REAPER, locate de simple action you wish assig to a shortcut for select it, click in the Add button (in the Shortcuts for selected action box), press the key you wish assign to the action (it will be showed in the view and click the Ok button.
    If the key isn´t already in use for other function, the choosed key will be showed at the left side of the Action name and pressing it will run the Action. With the Macros the procedure is the same.
    So, complex edits can be made in REAPER with only one key press. By example: you made a Custom Action (Macro) with the actions: "item: select all items in track", "SWS/FNG: move selected itens to edit cursor", "Xenakios/SWS: split itens at transients", save the Macro as "Select + Split at transients" and assigned the shortcut SHIFT + N for it. When you need to make all these editions, you need only select the track where the edition will be made and press SHIFT + N and all these edits will be performed.
    I hope this can be useful.
    Greetings.

6. CoffinSupply

CoffinSupply Newbie

I mostly use Ctr+P :)

7. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

BUMP

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I recently found out that you can switch off all plugins with a single command. Only useful when you're only mixing and have no VSTis running, but then a funny before and after.

9. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

After I learned how to create custom toolbars and screen layouts, I stopped using keyboard shortcuts. All the actions I need are on a custom toolbar on top of the screen. Pair those with mouse modifiers and you’re gold.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I still have to learn this. [​IMG]

11. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I still use the stock layout and toolbar, too. That Actions List though. This is what made Reaper my go-to for audio work. I'm re-mastering the SFX and OST for a very old film, as a working portfolio kind of thing and using my Maschine MK3 in Mackie mode is insanely powerful. It took a little finesse but mapping the 4-way encoder on that thing to scrub/fine-scrub alone was a joy to behold in practice.
    Check out SWS Extensions as it has a lot of additional actions but you can easily make these on your own. For example, I set up a button on the MK3 to place a marker, which I would have to double mouse-click on to edit the text. Then I realized I could create an action that would add the marker + EDIT MARKER. Now when I press this button, it not only places the marker on the timeline but automatically opens the edit window so I just have to type the note and hit enter. Reaper is awesome because it allows multiple shortcuts to your action so I mapped 'M' to it aswell for when I don't have the controller with me.
    The Mouse-modifiers are uber-powerful too. See all the 'Context' options. Inputs: 'right-drag', 'middle-click' and 'middle-drag'. Then realize the modifiers here (double click a menu option for more) and it's enlightening just how customizable and powerful this shit can get.

ReaMenus is another useful tool but if you're used to the way Reaper's menu is layed out it may be disconcerting.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

gold comment

youres too pinkman

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019