Keyboard FX (only Software)

Discussion in 'Software' started by JudoLudo, Feb 9, 2016.

?

Which do you prefer for Vintage Keys?

1. NI Guitar Rig 5

28.6%
  2. IKMultimedia Amplitube 5

14.3%
  3. Positive Grid BIAS FX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Overloud TH3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Overloud VKFX

14.3%
  6. Your own effects chain

57.1%
  7. Other...

14.3%
  8. Waves GTR 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

hi guys. :bow:

I use VST at home (studio) and in live situations, but I never really stepped on keyboard effects (which and how to use). I'm not asking some tutotials, I'm rather asking you which way do you prefer "effecting" (don't know if it's right in english :unsure:) your keyboard vsti's (specially: Rhodes, Wurli, Hammond, Clav, Pianet, Synths). In other words, which VST FX do you think are more suitable to your VST KEYS? I tried Guitar Rig, Amplitube 4, BIAS FX, Overloud VKFX... but none really catch me. what about you? :mates:

I know I'm talking primarily about "vintage" keys... so maybe there are VST more suitable for them.. :dunno:

edit: just like a sort of "pedalboard", of a rack.. I mentioned those guitar fx software because their GUIs are similar to these two systems...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Im not really sure why you would use primarily guitar Vsts as your go to effects for keyboard style sounds, your better probably using either your own custom midi setup with some sort of stompbox to trigger certain chains of effects in either guitar rig or your own custom set of plugins. I wouldnt use any presets included in guitar rig 5, and instead make your own, as the components on their own will allow you to build some good effects that are better suited to key sounding instruments. For example you could make a nice flanger with reverb just using the components in guitar rig 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

well.. a Rhodes or a Clavinet usually are combined with Guitar Amps.. and Keyboards in general usually are combined with guitar pedals.. but anyhow: I do not mean Guitar Rig = PRESETs... it's obvious that GR presets are made for guitars (and basses maybe). I mean, using the components of the software :)

NO PRESETS :mates:

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Rotary effect is one that guitar fx do not emulate very well, but nowadays we have Lotary, Mrotary and so one.
    Guitar fx are good for dirty sounds but keyboard must be very clean sometimes.
    One closed program for live is MainStage, but you need a hackintosh or Mac. You have There all you need... Its a shame that Apple never released the plugins...
    Also the vstis have plenty fx...

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

For very creative effects on keyboards I love love love the molekular ens for reaktor.

7. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Yeah the components in Guitar Rig 5 are adequate enough, just from the initial post it just sounded like you were gonna use presets. I understand the need for guitar amps + other guitar effects, as obviously their usage is usually a lot more subtle than its usage for guitars, i just didnt wanna get that misconstrued if you didnt know that but you are clued up so no problem.

8. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

:dunno:AmpliTube 5?

Waves GTR 5 not in list...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

yeah you're right... I missed. Amplitube 4 I meant... :(

10. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

Ikmultimedia Amplitube hands down. Been gigging w/it for years. It just sounds more authentic to me when running keys through it. I use the Fender Twin with NI Scarbee Rhodes, Wurly and Clav. Plus Amplitube models all the old school pedals used back in the day. Stuff like the Small Stone phaser... I also run GSI VB3 through Amplitubes 122. I run everything out of my Apollo Twin into 2 QSC KW152's.

11. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

how do you feel with the upgraded Amplitube 4? is it better than the older versions?
    Yeah I need to learn how to properly set an amp to use it with keyboards. And I should compare Leslie from VB3 and Amplitube too. Thanks for the reply :)

12. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

No difference really, besides cpu usage is a little more on 4. I found that the Leslie in Amplitube was more "convincing". I have a 57' & 64 C3 with a Leslie 145 & 122. Not that my opinion matters more than the next, but my opinion is coming from owning Hammonds, Wurlys & Clavs... The only thing I to this day dont like are the wah wah emulations. I always use a real wah pedal.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List