Keyboard Chord Automation VST/Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by suckajim, Jan 31, 2022.

1. suckajim

suckajim Member

Hi,

once I had a Yamaha PSR keyboard and you could select a style/genre and hit the play button and it would play some drums and background music. You could change the chords by tapping the regular keys in a certain range (e.g. any C key for a C Major chord, any C and C# combined for a C Minor chord... something like that). This way you were able to play some stuff live. Change chords with the left hand and play a melody with the right hand.

Is there any VST or software which is capable of the same functionality?

I know there are different instruments e.g. NI Session Guitarist Strummed Acoustics or similar stuff where you can activate a chord by playing a single note and I assume it would be possible to load a few such instruments into the DAW and then assign or transform the midi messages in a way that you are able to control all of the instruments in the same manner and that way you could recreate that automatic style playing machine but isn't there a software out there which is specifically designed for that task?

If anybody knows a tool like that or even a keyword I have to search for, maybe there is a specific word for this kind of functionality, then tell me please :)

3. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Re: the styles part of your question:-
    One Man Band and vArranger will both work with Yamaha format styles like those from your PSR keyboard.
    vArranger can also handle Roland format style files (and Korg, Ketron, others)
    There are thousands of styles files in Yamaha and Roland formats freely available on the web.
    You could also look at Band in a Box which works with style files in its own proprietary format.
    Also check out Toontrack EZKeys.
    But the list goes on and on, with ever more quirky and interesting approaches.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  4. suckajim

suckajim Member

Thank you for your suggestions :D that was fast. So based on your links I've learned that it's called auto-accompaniment. I'll try them

5. Ambar

Ambar Producer

Insta composer