Kennet K1005 200ohm microphone (Help)

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by epyloxias, Sep 13, 2020.

1. epyloxias

epyloxias Newbie

Hi there.

I own this mic (Kennet k1005) and I'd like to have some more informations about it (factory, year of built, data sheet, specs etc).
    I've searched the web about it but nothing came out. I've run out of searching ideas, that's why I'm reffering here.
    The only thing I know (besides that it is still working and honestly, it sounds really nice), is that it's old (probably mid 80's) and vintage (I guess). If anyone has ANY information about it, it would be helpfull.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I bet that they didn't make your microphone or any other, but rather had Sennheiser or AKG (my guess) manufacture it and the others with their brand on them. I myself have neither seen or have heard of them.

4. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Hi @epyloxias , are you able to put up some pictures maybe? A total shot is always a good starter but close-ups of grille, badge (brand label) and the output connector would further possibilities of determining the actual make (as @Lois Lane points out, many "brands" have no production of their own but rather obtain a selection of models from third-party suppliers). If the mic came with its own clip or table stand, include that or those in the pictures too. So let's have a look. :cool:

{Edit:} P.S. I have never heard of this brand either.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Here you go. It looks to me as it is a late '70s AKG. The first is an AKG D310, the second the Kennet. They look very similar from at least the upper third of each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Similar, however far from identical. Oriental knockoff, I presume (which I do not mean disparagingly at all - not knocking any mic if someone has nice results using it!). :guru: A bit of a rarity, no doubt.

7. epyloxias

epyloxias Newbie

Funny thing is that they did had many other models like ET4545, KD120, KD1202 and other.
    Last thing I learned about them while having a conversation with my sound engineer, is that they are (or were) made in Monza, Italy.

Here is my mic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

So it's a dynamic mic, cardioid pattern, 200 ohm impedance. These specs alone tell me it's a pretty standard dynamic vocal mic. If it sounds good, use it, I'd say. :wink:

You don't need much other specs. Hopefully it's sensitive enough so you don't have to crank your preamp too much, and hopefully it doesn't exaggerate "s" and plosives too much.

9. epyloxias

epyloxias Newbie

I do use it and it sounds fine (considering it's age :)). I was just hopping for some more info about it. :)

10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

All you lack is the frequency curve, which usually doesn't tell you so much about the mic as one would like to think, and the sensitivity in mV/Pa which you can approximate by comparing it with some other similar dynamic mic.

Like, Shure SM57 has 1.9mV/Pa, and Shure SM58 has 1.85mV/Pa sensitivity. They are easy to drive with any preamp, so you don't have to crank it to "11" :wink:. Then you have Shure SM7B with its sensitivity of 1.12mV/Pa that is notoriously harder to drive properly so you need a good preamp for it. The bigger sensitivity, the easier it is to drive a mic with less noise. Dynamics in itself don't have a noise figure, because they're passive, so a better preamp will give you less noise.

Cheers! :wink:

btw. I always check for data of the various mics on RecordingHacks website. A really helpful site.

11. epyloxias

epyloxias Newbie

Nice! Thank you very much SineWave. I'll check it out! :wink:

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

My foto of your mic is my foto that I used to compare with the AKG. You might have the only k1005 known to exist.

13. brunoci56

brunoci56 Noisemaker

14. epyloxias

epyloxias Newbie

Yes, its very possible

15. epyloxias

epyloxias Newbie

I've seen that before and I've already sent them emails for more details but unfortunately no-one answered yet.

Thanks anyway my friend! ♥️

16. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

So I retract this part of my chime-in...

Italian, that's interesting, don't see those around too often any more . Davoli made microphones that were widely in use in the beat(le) age. :guru:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Another Italian knockoff...like spaghetti "borrowed" from the Chinese.:rofl: