Katfile drama. What's the best free file host? Shootout?

Discussion in 'Forum News and Updates' started by BasedPirate, Dec 31, 2023.

1. BasedPirate

BasedPirate Ultrasonic

Katfile might get replaced as a favored file host. if it does what site should it be replaced with?
    Some say the requirements for a new site are
    Here are some sites that meet the requirements, leave your recommendations below! Katfile doesnt have to get replaced. A site could be added to the list of favored file hosts along with katfile and rapidgator. The community or "uploaders" can try using different sites and see which one is best.

sendcm
    HexUpload/hexload
    mixdrop
    1fichier
    4shared

3. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

I'm certainly not an a authority on the subject but do we absolutely need something other than Rapid? I've been using RealDebrid as if late and it works well with most hosts, and it's cheap!

4. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

As someone that doesn`t pay for any download service or RD I honestly dislike every option currently being supported by SS except katfile.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

And that's exactly why your, and my, opinion is going to be ignored, those who make the decisions need our referral $$s

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  6. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

we do, because nothing is eternal - if one FS gets shut down, the whole site becomes dead. we've been through this before.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

I noticed that KatFile have problems with older uploads.
    It shows that file is ok but when counter gets down and you click Download Error pop out!
    Last few days I was downloading a lot of stuff which had around 1 year and I met 7 error links like this!
    But except this. Everything else is ok with KatFile.

In my opinion RapidGator & KatFile should stay for now as basic and there should be third hosting added to them.

My candidates:
    Ddownload
    UploadBoy
    MediaFire

Why?
    Ddownload - It was always nice to download from here, I didn't see minuses.
    UploadBoy - I was suprised when I wanted to download very old release. All the links was dead except UploadBoy!
    MediaFire - One of the best to downloading for free users! A big capacity of uploading. You can upload and download few gigabytes files without any problem. Only minus is that you can't put links from it into hyperlink because refeer problem. Links always must be pasted as text then copied into browser bar manually. So eventually uploaders or downloaders needed to have this in mind.
    Here is example:
    Problematic Link -> https://www.mediafire.com/file/7nu0r54wh90r4ag/Majestic+House+Bass.h2p/file
    Good Link (copy & paste manually) ->
    Code:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/7nu0r54wh90r4ag/Majestic+House+Bass.h2p/file

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 4
    • List
  8. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Keyword here is FREE.

Click n Upload is the best actual FREE experience DL with "FFS". But they all suck compared to Torrent or FTP.

9. robie

robie Kapellmeister

Some good suggestions for site replacements! I think one of the smartest things Z could do about this is also, instead of just focusing on individual hosting sites as a replacement, go look at the host roster lists of the largest, most popular debrid sites, and try to find some acceptable host replacements that are common to either all, or as close as you can possibly get to all of them. That way you'll cover the largest number of site members, and hopefully leave very few in the lurch, if/when there's a changeover. So, for example, you're looking for 2 or 3 hosts that fit your criteria of acceptability, and are all listed on real debrid, alldebrid, link snappy, debrid-link,etc. If you can approach it like that you'll wind up with the fewest number of unhappy people.

One other thing though... I do wish they could just stick with Katfile. There may be complaints, but I'm seeing tons of releases next door so something is working with it. Part of me thinks the site is trying to fix something that isn't really broken. I peeked at the voting next door. Seems large majority of people over there are happy with it.

10. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

The most important thing in my opinion is file longevity, especially when I'm searching for older uploads which is often.

In this aspect, nothing seems to come close to Rapidgator. I don't know if any independent tests have been done, but one idea could be to check some old posts with many mirrors and see which are still alive. :dunno:

While referral revenue is an understandable factor for the sister site, the ideal thing would be a multi-hoster that automatically mirrors to numerous sites.

Other than longevity, the most important factor for many users will be that the file host is supported by services like Alldebrid/Real-Debrid.
    https://alldebrid.com/hosts/

11. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Personally I'd like to see AZ hook up with AN. AN has too many seeders to downloaders and has become stagnant and impossible to maintain the ratios imposed... But it would totally rock if the two could merge. Torrent is the best and most robust DL mechanism there is next to resume-able secure FTP.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  12. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

Oh no. Definitely no!
    AudioNews is against warez rules! They make money on warez!

If hookups would be possible Rutracker looks more interesting to co-operate.
    But I think this is not possible.

13. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

This is not okay! And in my opinion AudioNews is a cancer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 6
    • List
  14. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Honestly I`m not sure of why SS haven`t adopted Mediafire yet... theres a few exceptional cases I`ve found there tho.

15. BasedPirate

BasedPirate Ultrasonic

I completely disagree. forcing ratios is antithetical to the movement. 1337x and ru tracker proves its not necessary to impose ratios. A liason between ru tracker and uploaders at AZ could share tips on best seedbox and how to upload torrents safely, etc

16. D#RK M#TT#RS

D#RK M#TT#RS Ultrasonic

uploadrar
    clicknupload

17. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I completely agree about the ratios. It's why AN is stagnating. However AN still remains an awesome resource, but really only for those who have access to supply the uploads. Very few have that kind of access. Agree on RU as well. RU would be a great resource for AZ as well. I don't mind seeding either. I also view forced payment for decent download access anti-ethical. The whole "FREE" download scheme is bogus when your scope is limited to less than a hundred MB's every two hours by design to get you to pay for warez that are supposed to be free in the first place. However public trackers have become a target for way too many assholes anymore. Private trackers are really the only way to keep it all safe and running smoothly.

18. apostolica

apostolica Member

My hunch is that this is by design. They make money by selling ratio fulfillment blocks. I tried a test with AN and the RU site. I left the same popular torrent up for 6 months on both, and the AN torrent never got to 1.0 ratio. The RU torrent got to a 10x ratio.

I don't want to say outright that the AN admins are blocking traffic to get ratio fulfillment subscriptions, but I've not had any torrents I've seeded there reach a 1.0 ratio. This sort of "performance" has a scammy feel to it.

19. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I have watched the torrent seeding traffic at AN first hand on some very popular downloads. There are very few peers registering because there isn't that much DL traffic happening. BUT, when you see some peers popping up and disappearing within seconds with no bits travelling from your seeds this is suspicious as hell..

20. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

just my opinion AN is BS ripoff and a scam by its admins

usersdrive
    uploadrar
    clicknupload
    yandex
    torrent for the big files or even perhaps FTP
    the safer and better way for upload security is using alphanumeric file names instead of the actual names, RG is still very good and has excellent file longevity, only the random varied inconsistent wait time up to 180 seconds needs to be remedied to a reasonable consistent wait time. I've gotten some files posted up to 4 years ago on RG

• List
  21. Ryck

Ryck Guest

In my personal opinion, I really like MediaFire, but we have to see if that option is convenient for the uploaders and/or the site.