KALI LP-8 V2 or PRESONUS eris 8 XT?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Swg Itsyo, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Swg Itsyo

Swg Itsyo Member

I mix principally hip hop and r&b. For me are important the transient response (i want to hear them) and the lowend extension.
    Room is ok and treated, I have sonarworks with mic also.
    Thank you all !

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

If these were the only choices in that price range, the PreSonus Eris E8 XT.
    Class A/B amp
    Laminated MDF (
    Smaller port for low end dispersion
    $199.00 U.S. normal price at Sweetwater

My preference moving up in the top of the same price tier would be:
    ADAM Audio T8V 8-inch Powered Studio Monitor

Hope this helps.

4. Swg Itsyo

Swg Itsyo Member

Thanks I really appreciate, mi budget is 800$ maximum. I also considered the classic HS8 but seems to lack of low end and the wall distance I don't want it to be an issue

5. masterheavy

masterheavy Noisemaker

Did you saw this ... ?

Which 8-Inch Monitors Should You Buy for $1k? (ADAM Audio T8V, PreSonus Eris E8 XT, Kali Audio LP-8)

or that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

"Transient response" is defined through the amount of distortion.
    The better one of them two is the Kali.
    The LP-6v2 is even better because it's basically the same just cheaper.

However the JBL 308P Mark II is still the best solution in your price range.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Swg Itsyo

Swg Itsyo Member

Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions! In the comments of the video you posted i saw various people reccomending HS8 instead of them. What do you think about these?

8. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Here's what i can recall from what i've heard in person (not the same models though):
    -Eris 7XT: A bit lacking in the low mids, feels a bit "smiley face EQ-ish", although you can't really see that on graphs. Loud AF for a small room (4x3m), had to pull the speakers level knob almost all the way down so it played nice with the interface's level knob outputing an overall healthy volume while using the whole knob range (client's request, not that you have to do that. Still, they are pretty loud).
    -JBL LSR305: a bit lacking on the lows (probably because it's the smallest of the bunch), highs are bit meh, but the mids are probably the best around for low-mid budget. If you're the kind of person that priorizes mids, the LSR line wins by far.
    -Kali LP-6: They land somewhere between the Eris and the LSR's.
    -Adam T7V: Very nice below 2k or so, above that they tend to smooth things a bit too much for my taste.
    -Yamah HS7: Great for testing mixes, wouldn't recomend them as actual main mixing monitors for every genre, but they should hold up well for hip hop and R&B.

Now, some things to consider:
    -if you are going to put them too close against the wall, you'll get less issues with front ported speakers (Eris and Kalis). Regardless of whether you choose a front or rear ported monitor keep in mind that the "fix" these things tend to come with are notihng more than low shelf EQs and high pass filters, which will create problems somewhere else, so you gotta make a decission on which problem is more important.
    -I don't know what you mean exactly by "room is ok and treated", but unless it's supremely well treated (and honestly, even if it is), the listening position and speaker location are incredibly important (specially the listening position), if you get that wrong, no matter how defined the low end of the speaker is, it'll be a mess.
    -DO NOT trust in Sonarworks to do all the job, i've seen that backfire a couple of times. You'll have to try after the purchase wether your mix translate better if made with or without correction on the speakers regardless of what the graphs show you.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  9. Peek

Peek Ultrasonic

Presonus E08 XT for sure.
    Unlike the kali, the Eris 08 XTs are incredibly linear. However, this is a feature that belongs only to the E08 XT and not to its minor sisters. The kali In08 have a dip on the high frequencies if I remember correctly around 12k. In the 5" cone model they improved by moving that dip to over 15k. In fact I recommend, if you really want to get the Kali, to choose the In5 instead of In8. But if you need the 8" cone then I suggest the Presonus, although in terms of THD it is slightly lower, but in terms of linearity over the whole range it is really impressive.

10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I was a big fan of PreSonus Eris E8, but then I "upgraded" to Kali Audio IN-8, gotta admit those are totally different league (although they do hiss noticeably more when idle),
    if you can wait a bit and get more money, skip LP-8v2 and get IN-8v2, they are coaxial 3-way monitors which are MUCH better, price difference is totally justified
    :chilling:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

I would personally at this point stretch my budget a little and get APS Klasik 2020, it's my next pair, they aren't that easily found, but worth the trouble of getting them from abroad.

Have already Fluid Audio FX8 which are more than fine, considering I payed for them 300 euros, it's best thing for that money one can get in my honest opinion, dunno are they available somewhere else too, but if you can get hold of them for even less, don't think twice, coaxial, great imaging, amazing low end, translate good, front ported, if you have enough juice from your audio interface, they can be silent (no noise) as it get's (lower volume on them, drive them via audio interface more, RME 9632 drive them perfectly on -18, even Macbook do a fairly good job from headphones out while monitors are set to -6)

Was considering Tannoy Gold, but it was hard to find them than, really would like to hear them, heard lot of good stuff about them, so do check them out.

Don't overlook Presonus R series, R65/80, I had Adam's before so kinda wanted to get away from that sonic signature, but it might be just the ticket for you, couldn't find them in stores, but seems like they are available in other places, do check them out.

Last recommendations, old Fluid Audio FPX7, these are coaxial with AMT tweeters like Presonus (so good transient response), if you can get hold of them, they are in your current budget too, worth considering.

Some folks swear on Yamaha MSP7, not in production anymore but some stores can get them, just saw someone is selling them in mint condition for less than 800 dollars on eBay, there's used for 500 dollars too, check those out too, especially if you are considering HS8, seems like MSP series are last monitors creator of NS10's did. I was about to pull the trigger on MSP5's, but already had 5" monitor and saw amazing offer for Fluid FX8 and went with them instead, but who knows, I might just get them to replace Fluid F5's at some point.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  12. Peek

Peek Ultrasonic

I know, but in the interest of full disclosure, Eris E8 are totally different from Eris E8 XT..

13. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

Same for me, and yes the hiss was a bit annoying at first, but now I don't really care... ;)

14. Pat22

Pat22 Member

an advice ... try to gather as much money as you can and buy a good pair of monitors . My first monitors were a pair of Maudio ( cant remember the name right now ) . When i made a pro home studio i bought ADAM A77X . I know they are a different league and more expensive of course but it was like night and day !! My first thought was to throw Maudios from the window hahaha . I guess you understand my advice .... hope you find the one your ears would like .

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

A word of advice from me - you shouldn't buy speakers which make everything sound nice. People who make bass heavy music usually buy speakers which are bass heavy, which is wrong. Why? Because if your speakers are bassy you will tend to mix bass lower than on speakers that aren't. Same with highs.

Ideally, everybody needs as linear speakers as possible. Always keep that in mind, it helps mix translate better. Be aware of what your speakers sound like and learn them well especially with well produced material of the genre you produce, too. I wish you to buy speakers with which you will be very satisfied and make lots of nice tunes! Cheers! :wink:

p.s. Of all of the speakers mentioned on this page I would choose Yamaha MSP7s but they're harder to find since been discontinued. Great monitoring speakers and value for the money.

16. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Yeah, this seems like a really nice deal. :yes: