Kali Audio LP-6

Discussion in 'Studio' started by flush with your foot, Nov 17, 2020.

1. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

hi all,

received and installed yesterday, love it! detailed sound, beautiful image and soft price.

Kali Audio was started in January 2018 by some of the Professional Audio Industry’s most passionate individuals. With engineering at the forefront, Kali aims to make loudspeakers and related products that present the best possible value to our customers. By devoting time and resources to research and development, and with a little bit of panache, we offer high-performance products that fit any budget.

Kalis products are designed and engineered in California, and each of our product lines is named after a town or city in California. Lone Pine, our debut line of studio monitors, gets its name from a town in the Eastern Sierra from which climbers disembark to summit Mt. Whitney, the highest mountain in the lower 48 states. Much like this climb, we felt that our debut line was ambitious, challenging, and a little risky. Mountain View, an accessory for connecting Bluetooth devices with professional audio systems, was named after the town in which several large tech companies, including Google, are headquartered. As these companies insist on removing physical audio connectors from their devices, we thought this name would be a fun way to put them on notice.

Kali Audio defines a listening distance as the maximum distance at which the speakers can play continuously at 85 dB while maintaining 20 dB dynamic headroom.
    This means that anywhere within that listening distance, you can listen for long periods of time at reference volume, and momentary peaks such as bass drops or explosion effects will come through clearly and with minimal distortion. The LP-6 has enough output for most 1-2 person setups, and the LP-8 can handle larger setups easily.
    Bass on the LP-Series monitors is delivered by larger magnets and larger voice coils than any comparable speakers on the market. This gives you more accurate bass response that extends lower, so you can dial in exactly the low end sound you need. Bass response is not boosted or overhyped, but you can be sure that you’re hearing the bass that you have on the track.
    The integrated Class D Power amp delivers clean, reliable power that’s optimized to this speaker.
    Both models use 40W for the 1” soft dome tweeter. The LP-6 uses 40W for the 6.5-Inch woofer, and the LP-8 uses 60W for the 8-Inch woofer.

Boundary EQ Control

A speaker’s given position in a space can drastically change it’s frequency response. A speaker placed against a wall or on a desk will sound very different than a speaker placed on a stand, even in a well-treated space. Hard surfaces like walls, desk tops, and recording consoles can change the low end frequency response of the monitor, and degrade the overall clarity of the sound.

Happily, most of the common positions are fairly predictable and easily corrected.

Kali’s team did our Boundary EQ tuning at The Village Studios in Los Angeles, and came up with boundary compensation EQ settings to help you get the optimum sound for where you need to put your speakers.

Combined with the LF and HF trims, this will ensure that the speakers sound their best no matter what room you’re mixing in, or where the speakers are placed.

Easy Connections

The LP-6 and LP-8 both feature balanced XLR and TRS inputs, and an unbalanced RCA input.

The RCA input can be set to -10 dBu sensitivity when you’re using consumer devices like a laptop or smartphone’s headphone jack.

3-D Imaging Waveguide

The waveguide on the Lone Pine Series studio monitors ensures that the directivity of the loudspeaker is smooth throughout its frequency response. What’s more: it’s calibrated so that the sound power of the loudspeaker helps you to perceive sound accurately.

In practical terms, what this means is that you’re hearing spatial details in the recording that allow your brain to place elements of the recording in the space around you. This gives the speakers a more natural, lifelike feel that exposes more of the detail of the material that you’re working on. This level of detail makes it easier to make critical decisions, as well as making these monitors pleasurable to mix on and listen to in general.

Low Noise Port Tube

We wanted to put a port on the front of the LP-Series studio monitors so that they could be used in small spaces where they’d be placed against walls. At the same time, we didn’t want noise from the front port to distract from the accuracy of the speaker, so we developed a special front port that doesn’t make noise.

On most port tubes, air leaves at different speeds from different points of the opening, creating noisy turbulence. This turbulence can be heard as “chuffing,” or an audible air sound coming from the monitor. This sound will add to the noise floor and obscure the details of the low end.

The port tube on LP-6 was designed to ensure that all of the air leaves the port tube at the same velocity. This helps add to the low end response of the speaker, while keeping the bass clean, tight, and devoid of extra noise.

3. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

I was interested in them a year ago. Unfortunatelly, the online reviews (e.g. @Thomann.de) show that these monitors have a very high failure rate, especially when talking about the auto-sleep circuit. The company claims this has been already fixed, but users say otherwise.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  4. flush with your foot

the auto-sleep circuit is very easily to stop!...Thomann reviews is one source among others....I trust my ear!

5. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Good sound. Had them. 1 died. Did simply not wake up anymore. Got a replacement. I sold them. The self-noise is high. Once I heard it I heard it always. I could not bear it anymore.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. COVID-X

COVID-X Ultrasonic

Just Pure Hype! Thread Closed!

Nice Autopromo!!! :rofl:

7. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I have them, think they are a great monitor, can’t fault for the price in my bedroom studio

8. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

I'm not saying YOUR pair is bad. I'm saying many users (still) complain, that the auto-sleep was supposed to be fixed but it still makes problems. Like when people have disabled the circuit (as instructed by the company), yet monitors go randomly off and on every couple of hours, even while playing loud material.

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I got the IN-8's with WS-12 sub almost half year ago, amazing monitors, wrote a fairly long review at thomann (in english)
    :chilling:

10. flush with your foot

Chile is a country where we don't share information? I don't have anything to do with Kali Audio, engineers who share their skills to serve the audio population at affordable prices, I left my Tannoy at 1000 dollars each......, go see who are the engineers of Kali............

11. flush with your foot

exactly! :like: