Just started using Studio One and can't find out hwo to route audio from one track into another?!

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Bunford, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, so I have a kick drum track using a MIDI kick synth. I want to have a separate audio track and have the kick sytnsh audio playing, but also send that audio into the second audio track.

Anybody know how to do this? I've tried to set the input of the audio track as the MIDI track, but this doesn't seem to be an option in the audio tracks' inputs?!?!

Probably Studio One routing 101, but like I said I've only fairly recently started using it properly and it's the first time I've needed to do this as have always used bus tracks (but this is for a specific recent and part of the track, so not a bus routing).

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Working here

[​IMG]

Of course you'll need to switch on Record or Monitor in the audio track to make the instrument audible there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

I'm not sure what you're asking about, but I think you need to create a Bus and Send your tracks there. Sends are right below Inserts.
    If you want to exclusively route a track to a Bus, you'll have to switch your track's output from Main to Bus.
    Of course you can rename a bus anyhow you want.
    It's also important to notice that your audio track is exactly the track with audio files on it. Likewise, your MIDI track is the one with MIDI. You generally can't just route something into them except for recording the input signal to an audio file/MIDI part respectively. The closest thing to FL's mixer channel is a Bus track.
    Most DAWs operate similar way.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  5. No Avenger

If I got him right he wants to route the VSTi into the audio track. For this you either need to change the output of the VSTi, which doesn't work, or the input of the audio track and this works.

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yeah, basically it's a techno drum production trick that I can do in Ableton, but trying to replicate in Studio One. You basically have a kick synth playing on a MIDI channel, with it's audio coming out as the regular kick. In Ableton, I can then create an audio track, feed in the audio from the MIDI kick synth, and then put FX on it to distort, delay and mangle the signal and turn volume down, to create the techno rumble bass that sits in the background.

This is what I trying to create, but having to use a bus to do it seems a bit strange and also wouldn't work as I would have to send the MIDI kick synth output to the bus, meaning I'd lose the original sound obviously.

7. No Avenger

You don't need to. The pic in my post #2 shows OB-Xd as input for track 2 Audio.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

There are no separate MIDI channels in Studio One. They're called Instrument Channel. You put an VSTi on the left side and put your MIDI information directly in this channel bar.

Attached Files:

9. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

But you won't if you use a send instead of output routing. You're sending a copy of a signal elsewhere while the original keeps being outputted where it were. Sends are right below inserts, both in channel view and mixer view.

Instrument tracks are MIDI tracks in Studio One. You can create an Instrument track and not assign it to any instrument. Or you can assign it to an insert effect.