Just Playin

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by The Teknomage, Aug 25, 2016.

1. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Like the title says. After some feedback on the mix really.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Sounds like a midi marching dance song. I would get rid of the vocal chopped thing on the intro, and maybe get some progression going on with the bassline. The song it too schizophrenic to have any build up or progression i.e. the intro is too different from the main section. I dont really know what genre of music you are trying to recreate specifically so i cant comment on mixdown unless you got some specific tracks you could link. I think the hat pattern could play with the 2nd high hat hit first, the shuffle sounds too digitized for the hats to garner rhythm.

4. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I tend to do dance music. It's not a song as yet. I was just playing around.
    Like I said, I was just playing around. At the moment the Electribe 2 is just playing a one bar loop.
    Just music to dance to. Not really into the whole strict genre thing.
    I'll give that a try, I can copy and paste track 13 and 14 into 15 and 16's slots easy enough, although it's a hat and a shaker, so it may come out weird.The hats have rhythm, but no swing really. Tried putting some swing on, but it messed the timing of the synth part from the RM1x, which is sending master clock. I'm just trying to get used to controlling the two sequencers and play the Prophecy at the same time. I just wondered what the over sound of the mix was like, on what systems people were using, that was all, but thanks for the input.

5. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Nice groove, reminds me of early Laurent Garnier. Like what you did with the the kik-stereo-doubling-slaplike-808kikontopofa909kik-widening-thing. Yep, a litlle more rhythmical variation here and there. Mix is nice and dry.

6. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Nice light hearted approach moosh, I like stuff that doesn't take itself to seriously from time to time............like you said, its just a noodle, but the idea is sound.

I can see it working in this situ :hillbilly:

7. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

You're right about the 909: short 909 coming from the Electribe with no fx, which is the punchy drum that plays on it's own.
    The boom is, according to the Yamaha Rm1x list book: an analog tom, with auto-pan, chorus, and a touch of stage reverb.
    I'm trying. I made some changes, but got carried away dancing while I was playing and forgot to implement half of them when recording.:break:
    Also I have to be able to do it live,as that's the point of my music now, so I don't want to rely on the sequencers song modes too much.
    I take thats a good thing.

8. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I always try not to take myself too seriously. You live longer and happier that way.
    I've always loved to dance, so if I can't resist the temptation to dance while I'm playing, then I know I'm heading in the right direction.

9. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

@The Teknomage ah, it's a electribe kik, hence the nice 'umpf'! Yep I personally like it when this kind of techno is dry and right up in your face, it really comes out at large venues at high-level. Keep on dancin bro!
    cheers!

10. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I don't like the chopped vocals. Maybe the piano is a bit too dry and static in my opinion..
    But the rest.. the rest is just awesome, I'm patiently waiting for a full release Mage!
    This is the 90s sounds and style that I really love. When I hear this style I stop listening analytically to find flaws and start listening with my body, my heart and my mind :P

:wink:

EDIT: I'll take any tips on this kind of music if you want to share any secrets or anything

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  11. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Sorry for the late reply, as Iv'e only just logged in.
    No real secrets really. I make my tracks the old fashioned way with hardware. Which is why the piano sounds dry. Unfortunately when korg made the Electribe 2, the omitted reverb on the insert effects and only put on the main, so I would have to have reverb on the whole track.
    My advice to you, if you really want to make this style of music is save about 150 sheets, go on ebay, and look at the vintage groove box work station sequencers. things like, the Korg EM 1, Yamaha RM1x( which I was using on this track), Roland MC 303 or 307.
    Just start playing around and having fun, and let the machine take you where it wants to go. They are limited in sounds, but that is their strength. They were made from the mid 90's to early 00's, so the sounds are perfect for the style.

12. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Figured I'd put up the one I got carried away dancing on.
    Not so much a release, but a slightly revised version.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Question: did you release some tracks in the 90s under some alias/project?
    Track is strong (sadly, one thing I'd change, as I already said, is the dryness of the piano :( but the multiple repeated notes help a bit to feel the "emptiness" if you get what I mean). Never got bored and enjoyed the whole 7 minutes and 40 seconds. Love at 4:14 and the crashes with the synth later. Oh I didn't mention the effect you put on the piano when it plays a lower note (if that is even an effect or just the piano being chopped), that sounds so cool and works perfect on the track.

Good job Mage

14. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

No. Just doing a lot of dancing and clubbing, especially in the latter half of the 90's. I didn't start making my own until about two and a half years ago. I started with a computer and VST's, but after about a year decided I didn't like the workflow, so just before Christmas last year when my phone died, I replaced it with a Korg Electribe 2, which I spend a lot more time on. Followed by a volca sample, followed by a Yamaha RM1x, followed by the Prophecy, hardware has a character that you just don't get with VST's, but I need to get a new mixer now, cos I can only use three at once.
    Like I said there's no reverb insert fx on the Electribe 2.
    That's me playing my Korg Prophecy. It's a mono synth, so no pads as such, but it has this 3 position drum wheel with a ribbon on top, which is awesome for live playing. Shame it's such a bitch to programme though. That's one of it's presets. If my cinematic track makes the album you'll hear the preset I programmed for it.
    Ah! There's 4 piano's altogether, so I'm not a hundred percent which one you mean, but it sounds like the one at the beginning and at the end.
    They're all Korg M1 piano. The 1st one is that acid sound, which is running an acid high pass filter with distortion on the inert fx. Then, the fill piano that sounds like a normal piano, which is running a Prophet 5 low pass filter, with 1/8 delay on the insert fx. Then, the main bassline piano, which is running an acid low pass filter, with distortion on the insert fx, and the last one that gets mixed with the first one near the end of the track, which is running an MS 20 band pass filter. They were all copied from the original bassline, and had the sequences altered just a little bit, so as to make variation. The loop was extended from 1 bar to 4, and the sequences have a slight change every other bar, so 1 and 3 are different to 2 and 4.
    Glad you liked it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

It really brings me back to the earlier days of techno during the 90's. I used to play a lot of Detroit Techno back in late 90's and loved the Drum Code stuff with the raw drums. Detroit Techno rules!

16. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

I really like that bass action you've got going on.

17. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Cheers. The Messin With Ya. track half way down the page is what I revised it to, so it was more like one track. I might try doing that 1st part as a whole track.

18. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Kind of a happy accident, I think. Not sure which way I did it now. I either loaded the sequencer with 16th notes, which are all at C4, and then I have to menu dive and change each not one by one. I usually do this with carefree abandon, see what it sounds like and tweek it from there.
    Or, I recorded the arp changing note on the kaos pad, and then recorded an arp over the recording of the 1st arp. There's about 50 patterns, which yo can flick to and fro whilst you record.